Attic fan efficiency

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 AM
Default Attic fan efficiency

I am researching attic fans. What experience have u had with actual attic heat reduction after installation of attic fans? Contractor/manufacturer recommendations?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM

I installed one a couple of years ago. It is on anytime the sun is out. Does it do any good? I relly didnt see a drop in a/c bills.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Jimbo and others have good info on what to do in your attic. see here Attic Foil
Old 05-29-2013, 08:34 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Your always welcome to stop by our local showroom and see the different units in action. You can visit our website for more information www.TheSolarGuys.com. This is the most recent thread on TOTV about the subject Attic fan installation
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Had two solar attic fans installed in our home when we moved into it. I have a remote thermometer so I put it up in the area over the garage. The maximum temp noted was 125 with an outside temp in the mid 90's. I did not obtain temperature data before installation so I can't say how much difference it made but I suspect it was significant. Perhaps someone out there could record some data from an uncooled attic in a lantana for comparison.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

Hi Hill. I had Solar Guys install a solar attic fan in my CYV. Although I don't have hard data, I am sure that the attic is cooler and thus not heating up the home as much so that the AC unit isn't working as hard. I should take a look at my past SECO bills cause I did go one whole year without the fan and can compare.

One thing I did do was to insulate my garage doors. In a CYV, the garage doors have no insulation and by putting in the foam panels, I really saw a reduction in temps during the sunny days.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Thumbs up Great bunch of people !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSolarGuys View Post
Your always welcome to stop by our local showroom and see the different units in action. You can visit our website for more information www.TheSolarGuys.com. This is the most recent thread on TOTV about the subject Attic fan installation
They installed two solar attic fans for me about two years ago and I can tell you, YES, they are well worth the money. My attic is much cooler and my A/C bills are lower. Give them a call and you will not be sorry....

GOOD BUNCH OF GUYS....
Old 05-30-2013, 04:47 PM

What I did was unscrew the register grills from the sealing and seal the gaps where the ceiling and the metal boot meet with duct sealent then put grills back up because the attic fan just sucks the conditioned air right out the attic least path of resistance it was easy to do and noticed better cooling throughout the house you can buy the sealent at lowes. you would be surprised at the difference the installer dosent have the time to do this or does not care.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw137 View Post
What I did was unscrew the register grills from the sealing and seal the gaps where the ceiling and the metal boot meet with duct sealent then put grills back up because the attic fan just sucks the conditioned air right out the attic least path of resistance it was easy to do and noticed better cooling throughout the house you can buy the sealent at lowes. you would be surprised at the difference the installer dosent have the time to do this or does not care.
Very efficient.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.