Attic fan installation

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hi folks,

We strongly encourage our potential customers to do comparison shopping on product vs. product and company vs. company. Comparison PRICE shopping is only comparison shopping when both products and companies offer the same level of performance AND integrity. For example, a few very important questions to ask when considering a solar vent fan purchase are:

1. DOES THIS PRODUCT HAVE FLORIDA PRODUCT APPROVAL?
Why important? To qualify for Florida Product Approval a solar fan must pass the vigorous State engineering qualifications that rate a product for wind and water intrusion due to high velocity winds and strong storms. Obviously, in order to qualify for this a manufacturer would have to invest more in the design and materials of his product, and so the reasonable expectation would be that the product cost would reflect the higher quality and durability of a better product.

2. DOES THE PRODUCT INCORPORATE BRUSHLESS MOTOR TECHNOLOGY:
Why important? Traditional brushed motors are louder than brushless, and have, on average, a third of the lifespan of a brushless motor. If one product offers you better performance over a longer lifespan, obviously a reasonable person would expect to pay more for a higher quality product.

3. WHO IS INSTALLING MY PRODUCT?

Why important?

1. Licensing - The Solar Guys is a licensed Roofing and General Contractor, and so is liable with both the county and the State to perform work to certain standards. A do-it-yourselfer is not.

2. Permitting – Building permits are required for any solar product installation in most counties where a roof penetration is necessary, and State licensing is required to pull a permit. Most do-it-yourselfers thus bypass the permit requirements since they do not qualify to pull permits, and this means they offer cheaper installation service. This leaves the homeowner liable for penalties and fees for failure to comply with County requirements.

3. Insurances – A responsible Contractor will carry BOTH liability (to cover potential damage to property) and Workers’ Compensation insurance (to cover potential injury on the job.) While this level of protection comes at a cost, again most homeowners respect a company that is willing to pay for this additional coverage and not leave the homeowner’s own insurance as the only means of covering potential damage or risk to life and limb.

4. Warranty – Both your product warranty and your installation warranty are completely dependent on who makes your product and who is doing the install. Is the manufacturer a large company that has a verifiably reliable product history? Does the installing company (or person) offer a written warranty on their installs? Can you be sure that they will honor their warranty? These questions are often a factor in how much you pay for your product. Peace of mind is not free, and neither is good quality.

5. Reputation – The very reason that TOTV blog exists is so that potential clients can get genuine, unsolicited feedback on whether a company is offering just a sales pitch to “seal the deal”, or whether they actually stand behind their promises. The glowing recommendations for The Solar Guys on this very blog give proof that we are committed to a singular mission: To provide the highest quality products available with a commitment to superior customer service. See what our customers are saying about us.

To sum up, Ben Franklin said it best when he observed: “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.” True comparison shopping looks at ALL of the aforementioned factors, not just price. When all things are weighed equally, most discerning homeowners choose The Solar Guys because as the largest volume dealer for Solatube brand products we offer the best of both worlds: exceptional value both in the short and long term, and the highest level of service available.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:48 AM

I too am interested in an attic fan? I'm looking for a big thermostatically controlled fan that goes in the ceiling of the garage and moves massive amounts of air. I've seen them online and many include small screens that you put in the garage door to pull air in from outside. I assume the air blowing into the attic vents out the soffit and cools the attic and roof as well as the garage.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I cant imagine a solar fan would move enough air to cool the garage.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
I too am interested in an attic fan? I'm looking for a big thermostatically controlled fan that goes in the ceiling of the garage and moves massive amounts of air. I've seen them online and many include small screens that you put in the garage door to pull air in from outside. I assume the air blowing into the attic vents out the soffit and cools the attic and roof as well as the garage.

Are we talking about the same thing here? I cant imagine a solar fan would move enough air to cool the garage.
I had Solar Guys install the garage fan you refer to. They also installed two attic solar fans and just recently, window tint.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:25 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post

Tom, we can definitely help you with that. Just give us a call (866-669-5259) or come by our local showroom located 1 mile south of the Market of Marion on 441.

Last edited by TheSolarGuys; 04-16-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.