What to use to cover Lanai floor

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default What to use to cover Lanai floor

It's time I seriously think about what to cover the surface of our lanai floor with. I have some issues I have to take into consideration:

Our lanai is raised and has two doors with steps leading out of the lanai. One set of steps has a "step down" so the door, when opened, does not come any where near the top step. The other set of steps is a different story. The door opens onto the top step which is more like a landing and there is no step down at all. The door, as it glides open, is what seems to be a mere 1/4" from the top of the landing surface.

The lanai floor has cracks which I would like to cover.

I was hoping to cover the lanai floor and the steps with the same material. That seems to not be a possibility because the material would not allow the door to open on the steps that is pretty much flush with the bottom of the door.

The lanai floor and the steps were stained with a concrete stain so I have that to consider if th stain must be removed before another surface be applied.

Part of my lanai is an extension and is not enclosed so it will become wet when it rains. The surface material I use must be slip proof.

What do you suggest for covering my lanai floor? I will consider staining the stairs with a color to match what ever material I plan to use for the lanai.

Thanking you all in advance for any suggestions.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage

OP here.....

Does anyone have Kool Deck on their lanai floor or around your pool? We had this product installed on a newly poured patio in south Florida. This flooring has the appearance of "knock down" like the ceilings here in The Villages and the surface remains cool even in the blistering hot sun.

Where do I find a company who applies Kool Deck? My Google search comes up with nothing.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:38 AM

We had a light colored lanai floor which was impossible to clean, and we had Chattahoochee River Rock put down. It comes in various shades. Contact Matt Allums at 352-253-0622 for an estimate, and I'm sure he could also address the problem with your stairs or give you a suggestion.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Gold member

I see an add now and then for "Rubber Stone". I have viewed it on Youtube and looks great but I would like to see a job around here. Anybody ever see it?
Old 10-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Gold member

River Rock, there's a guy at Marion Market that does it.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 10-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
OP here.....

Does anyone have Kool Deck on their lanai floor or around your pool? We had this product installed on a newly poured patio in south Florida. This flooring has the appearance of "knock down" like the ceilings here in The Villages and the surface remains cool even in the blistering hot sun.

Where do I find a company who applies Kool Deck? My Google search comes up with nothing.
We had kool deck installed as part of the home original build (we had our house custom built), this was in the covered but NOT enclosed lanai area, some of this failed after 3 or 4 years. the failure was to the paint coating and excessive moisture.

Our neighbors had a concrete coating that looks like flag stone installed, looks great and this was done in both the covered and the screened areas. I do not recall the name of the company or product, and they have moved.

As for your door, you should be able to have the door trimmed and a new sweep installed at the bottom as well as a new threshold to accommodate the new height of the floor.

I would also expect the installer to require the existing finish to be sand blasted or ground off, so there is clean concrete to work from.

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl boomer View Post
We had a light colored lanai floor which was impossible to clean, and we had Chattahoochee River Rock put down. It comes in various shades. Contact Matt Allums at 352-253-0622 for an estimate, and I'm sure he could also address the problem with your stairs or give you a suggestion.
We had Matt install the Chattahoochee River rock on our garage floor. Only one problem.....I can not see any dirt on it.....at all. When I sweep an area and get a little pile of debris, I can't find the pile when I get my brush and dust pan. Unbelievable how clean it always looks. Don't even see any tire marks on it.

Having said that, I read that this application is hot in direct sun. Of course I don't have that problem in the garage but does your lanai floor get hot in the sun with the river rock on it?
Old 10-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We had kool deck installed as part of the home original build (we had our house custom built), this was in the covered but NOT enclosed lanai area, some of this failed after 3 or 4 years. the failure was to the paint coating and excessive moisture.

Our neighbors had a concrete coating that looks like flag stone installed, looks great and this was done in both the covered and the screened areas. I do not recall the name of the company or product, and they have moved.

As for your door, you should be able to have the door trimmed and a new sweep installed at the bottom as well as a new threshold to accommodate the new height of the floor.

I would also expect the installer to require the existing finish to be sand blasted or ground off, so there is clean concrete to work from.

Great information Tinker. Good to know the height of the door can be changed. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl boomer View Post
I've considered the Chattahoochee River Rock for the lanai floor when we had Matt install it on our garage floor. I love the feel of it under my bare feet but hubby doesn't like the feel. So far, he is not wanting that application for the lanai floor.

I love how water runs through the rocks and drains off and does not pool. I've got to work on hubby about reconsidering this.

I doubt I would have the Chattahoochee River Rock applied to the steps. I would probably re-coat them with concrete stain to match the river rock. It would be easy to do that as there are several different colored rocks in the river rock.

I do find the river rock very slippery when I have sneakers on and the soles of the sneakers are wet. It's like an ice skating rink so I'm very careful when the bottom of my sneakers are wet. Other than that, I find the river rock to be non skid with all other foot wear if they are wet.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post

Kool Deck, from what I remember when we had it installed on our south Florida home's patio, does not get a top coat of anything. The color is throughout the product, not on the top. Kool Deck does not need a sealer. Someone did say on this thread that Kool Deck does fade. Ours didn't fade but we were only in the home for two years after the Kool Deck was installed. Must say, it was very cool on bare feet even in the blaring sun.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderTile&Marble View Post
River rock look is just that just river rock . That stuff holds dirt and wars after time . Tile has all kinds of looks and designs .. you can make it look like wood . To shiny marble to anything much moor durable level and clean . But to each his own .. good luck .
I don't think I want to deal with grout in an exterior setting. I don't have a problem at all inside my home but just wary about grout outside.

You said the river rock does wear. How does it wear? As for the dirt, how is the dirt cleaned? Just hose it down?

There is a home in my neighborhood that has Chattahoochee river rock on the driveway. It looks great as long as we have owned our home which is 6 years. I know that is not a lot of time to really get a good idea of how the river rock will perform but that's all I've got to go on.

Would like to add......as long as I can't see the dirt and debris.....I'm good!!! Especially outside.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

OP, I agree tile is an option, however, you will need a crack stop material and I have no idea how this holds up under wet conditions, As for the tile it MUST be rated for wet conditions or you will have a skating rink. Finally, I believe there are materials that can be used in place of conventional grout so you will not have a dirty grout condition.
PS: We had our driveway, lanai, and birdcage painted with a Xylene based paint, and clear coated with a Xylene based clear with shark grip. The driveway was done about 5 years ago, looks great, the others were done about 3 years ago and also look great. I would give you the name of the artist painter, but I believe he has quit doing this work. I was recently quoted $350 to have the driveway power washer and resealed (with shark grip).
Old 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM
Sage

Tinker....
We have a concrete stain on the lanai floor which was applied by the original owner of our home. Hairline cracks are visible along with the controlled cracks which are quite unsightly in a few places. I want to cover all that so painting the cement is not an option for us. Wish we had a crack free pretty cement slab but that is just not the case.

Tags
lanai, floor, steps, door, surface

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.