Auto Insurance

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2021, 07:51 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikenbats66

Had Allstate , raised rates and switch to state farm cheaper. After 2 years raised rates for no reason and gave no explanation. Switch to travelers and saved $450 for 6 mo . Have three vehicles.
They are sneaky though .
They have a option called IntelliDrive which saves 6 prr cent . You install it on ur call for 90 days and monitors your driving habits . Safety they say , but it tracks your mileage so on renewal they can raise your rates if you drive over your stated miles .
Old 12-08-2021, 07:55 AM

An Umbrella Policy is the cheapest protection u can get…. It covers just about everything u own…
Old 12-08-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have had Allstate auto insurance for 25 years. Perfect driving record, no claims. I just got my 6 month renewal notice. It is for $627, which is an increase of 27 percent. Too high to ignore. I called State Farm, and they can provide the exact same coverage for $311. I called Allstate, and they just told me to switch to State Farm. Apparently, insurance companies don't care anything about keeping customers. I tried other companies, but most of them will not provide the high liability coverage amount that I want, and they don't have a local office. Most of my premium cost is for liability. An umbrella policy is an option, but it is not cost effective. Has anyone had a similar experience?
We have had State Farm for over 35 years, after switching from AllState. Of course, we now have huge discounts, having all of our insurance with them.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I have had Allstate auto insurance for 25 years. Perfect driving record, no claims. I just got my 6 month renewal notice. It is for $627, which is an increase of 27 percent. Too high to ignore. I called State Farm, and they can provide the exact same coverage for $311. I called Allstate, and they just told me to switch to State Farm. Apparently, insurance companies don't care anything about keeping customers. I tried other companies, but most of them will not provide the high liability coverage amount that I want, and they don't have a local office. Most of my premium cost is for liability. An umbrella policy is an option, but it is not cost effective. Has anyone had a similar experience?
They more than likely raised your rates only because of your age. They were hoping you would cancel your policy.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:10 AM

AAA .. bundle the home and auto and get a great deal.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
When you say liability coverage, that's different then an umbrella policy, right?
Partially correct. Both are liability coverages, but umbrella coverage only pays for claims that exceed your underlying liability coverage. If your auto liability coverage has a limit of $100,000 and you have a $1,000,000 umbrella policy and have a claim against you for $250,000, your auto policy will pay the 1st $100,000 and your umbrella will pay $150,000.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinghiway View Post
An Umbrella Policy is the cheapest protection u can get…. It covers just about everything u own…
I have had umbrella policies in the past, but they only increased the liability limits on my home and auto policies. They did not offer any protection for additional risks. I don't know what kind of umbrella policy you are referring to, but some people mistakenly think that an umbrella policy will protect them from events that are not covered in their home and auto policies. The ones I had did not. If there is an umbrella policy that will cover risk events that are not covered in the standard home and auto policies, I would be interested in finding out specifically what they cover and who sells them. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Best thing you can do is to shop around. Forget about company allegiance. A thing of the past. I was in the insurance biz. $311 seems very low unless you are buying minimal coverage. Working with a local person/company also is disappearing.

We moved from S. Florida. We are now paying 40% less. Suspect that our rates are going to go up a lot more, due to increases in vehicular traffic.

Suggest going to a local independent agent. They have the resources to get you multiple quotes.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Partially correct. Both are liability coverages, but umbrella coverage only pays for claims that exceed your underlying liability coverage. If your auto liability coverage has a limit of $100,000 and you have a $1,000,000 umbrella policy and have a claim against you for $250,000, your auto policy will pay the 1st $100,000 and your umbrella will pay $150,000.
Correct. But, also, most companies will not sell you an umbrella policy unless you already have the maximum allowable liability coverage on your home and auto policies. So, it would be unlikely that you would have an umbrella policy and also have an auto policy with only $100,000 of liability coverage. Both Allstate and State Farm will allow you to purchase an auto policy with $1 million in liability coverage. Progressive will allow up to $250,000 in liability coverage for most customers.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Oh they care about customers they already have but they’re in business to make money. Like most Ins. Co. if all of their clients had wrecks or fender benders, it’s costing that Ins. Co. money so how do we think they stay in business, raise all their clients rates to cover their expenses. Otherwise they would go broke. I think you’ll find that out with any Ins. Co. you go with.
You might get a good rate the first yr. or 2 but your rates will go up there too, real soon! Just my opinion but do what you want.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Best thing you can do is to shop around. Forget about company allegiance. A thing of the past. I was in the insurance biz. $311 seems very low unless you are buying minimal coverage. Working with a local person/company also is disappearing.

We moved from S. Florida. We are now paying 40% less. Suspect that our rates are going to go up a lot more, due to increases in vehicular traffic.

Suggest going to a local independent agent. They have the resources to get you multiple quotes.
It does seem low to me also. I plan to visit the State Farm office to ensure that they have quoted me correctly. But, the coverage includes $1 million in liability and $500 deductibles for collision and comprehensive. I save money by not buying any other non-mandatory coverages. I do not have the uninsured motorist insurance (optional in FL), which I think is a waste of money. I know some people disagree with that approach, but, as I understand it, it doesn't provide any liability protection for me.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:16 AM
Platinum member

retiredguy123:
I shopped recently and GEICO and Progressive were the highest. I stayed with my current insurer, Auto-Owners, sold through independant agents. They were still cheaper. Not a recommendation, just a suggestion for a lower rate. [BTW: Report back here with coverage limits, your age and your car model along with your new premium when you get new insurance. Thanks.]

I would never buy from AllState. Knew someone who worked in their claims processing unit and she had to quit because she did not like their shady practices in treating their own customers during a claim.

And that Lexis/Nexis Report: I would NEVER enter my SSN, DOB, Address and Driver's License Number on an internet page. If they ever get hacked, say goodbye to your identity. The Target breach was enough for me two years ago.

Skip
Old 12-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You might get a good rate the first yr. or 2 but your rates will go up there too, real soon! Just my opinion...
I thought that too but years ago a friend in the business told me most states have laws that prevent insurance companies from "introductory rates" (like cable TV, etc.). They are not allowed to quote $500 for the first year or two, then jack you up to $700, then $900 after that. The rate is supposed to be based on RISK (not be an income REWARD). Anyone know what the insurance law is in Florida? Former insurance sales agents out there, reading this?

Skip
Old 12-08-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You were one of 16,000,000 customers.
You were a number, you were a stat.
Exactly. But where’s the love anymore? No love it’s just business.🤑
Old 12-08-2021, 01:20 PM

If veteran USAA the way to go period
Closed Thread

Tags
insurance, high, called, state, farm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.