Auto Insurance State Farm?

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM
Arrow Auto Insurance State Farm?

I am thinking of switching to State Farm Auto Insurance.

Are they good at paying claims?

Do rates go up every 6 months?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post

Well, if they are paying claims good or otherwise your rates will certainly go up. Yes they all go up around here for some reason. It was cheaper in NJ for better coverage and my rates stayed just about the same for many years in a row. I though NJ was tough with insurance. Here they seem to go back 5yrs for any claims. Someone keyed my car in a mall up north 4 yrs before and it was a hit against my new insurance when I moved down here. Never had an accident or moving violation ticket but that claim cost me.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Because the density of the aging population here and the ever increasing number of daily motor vehicle/wheeled vehicle incidents the coverage risks are significantly higher.
The deteriorating physical capability of the elderly contributes significantly to the accident/claim rate.

I am sure there are accident statistics for TV demographics available some where. Just google motor vehicle accident rates in florida then search county of interest.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post

Yes and yes.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

I have never been a State Farm customer, but their agents keep sending me junk mail. I asked them to stop, but they just ignored me.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have never been a State Farm customer, but their agents keep sending me junk mail. I asked them to stop, but they just ignored me.
Same here. It's like twice a month.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Yes and yes.
Much appreciated.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

State Farm has a reputation of high rates, but good at paying claims.
Hard to beat Progressive. USAA is a ripoff that will insure anyone willing to pay their rates, even if you think a relative is a veteran.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Because the density of the aging population here and the ever increasing number of daily motor vehicle/wheeled vehicle incidents the coverage risks are significantly higher.
The deteriorating physical capability of the elderly contributes significantly to the accident/claim rate.

I am sure there are accident statistics for TV demographics available some where. Just google motor vehicle accident rates in florida then search county of interest.
I understand, thank you, so much.

Last edited by Dancing Queen; 02-12-2019 at 10:57 AM. Reason: appreciation
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
State Farm has a reputation of high rates, but good at paying claims.
Hard to beat Progressive. USAA is a ripoff that will insure anyone willing to pay their rates, even if you think a relative is a veteran.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 AM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You didn't say who you're switching from? I had USAA, it's for veterans and suppose to be cheaper than the others. I went with them when I was up north in Baltimore, I had two cars for $901 a year. I moved here and went with one car in a CYV and I was paying $860 a year. In 2017 I was driving a new Camaro, in April 2018 I traded in the Camaro for the Hyundai Kona in my avatar. It's a crossover SUV that listed for $16,000 less than the Camaro did the year before.

They raised my insurance to $900 a year when I got the Kona, just a $40 increase, but still it made no sense since the car was much less expensive and the Camaro was a sports car. I called and conplained but they wouldn't lower the rate. Then in December my new bill arrived and it was a $1,000. Needless to say, I started looking around. I had no tickets, no accidents in 2017 or 2018. I was rear-ended in spring 2016 and the other driver's insurance paid everything, even my rental car. He had Travelers Insurance.

There is a website that you fill out your info and it will be you prices from several companies. I did that, and Progressive and eInsurance were a little cheaper, about $25. However, AAA Insurance is only $806 a year for the same coverage on my Kona that had with USAA. My neighbor that I play golf with, has AAA and he said they were great. You do have to join AAA for $66 a year, but you get a lot of benefits for that money, including towing.
I greatly appreciate your extensive experience, knowledge, and time involved relating it.

I started with Liberty Mutual down here in March of 2014. $400.00 more a year than in Indiana. Price went down the second year, I did the AARP Safe Driver Course. Going up a little each year, and a $300.00 a year jump for 3/19.
1998 Honda Civic four-door bought new, low miles 100450 MI to date.
Never had a ticket. No claims for 30 years. Excellent FICA rating. My Florida driver's license says safe driver. I have never had a drop of alcohol, & gotten behind a wheel since I was 18.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Well, if they are paying claims good or otherwise your rates will certainly go up. Yes they all go up around here for some reason. It was cheaper in NJ for better coverage and my rates stayed just about the same for many years in a row. I though NJ was tough with insurance. Here they seem to go back 5yrs for any claims. Someone keyed my car in a mall up north 4 yrs before and it was a hit against my new insurance when I moved down here. Never had an accident or moving violation ticket but that claim cost me.
Thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
You did your research. I've never submitted a claim and I got my original driver's license in Florida in 1966. What impressed me was Travelers Insurance. I didn't check them for rates, I went with AAA because of the rates and my neighbor's recommendation.

From actual experience I was rear-ended in 2016 while sitting at the Marathon Station on 466A while waiting for traffic. The driver that hit me said his foot slipped off the brake and took complete resonsibility. He was only going maybe 5 mph, but the damage was $2400 at Car Guys in Lady Lake.

He gave me his insurance info on the spot. I called Travelers when I got home and they were already aware of the event and said an appraiser would be at my home tomorrow. He gave an appraisal of $1200 and I asked for a shop that he recommended, and he said he heard good things about Car Guys.

I called Car Guys and they asked for the Travelers claim number, said they had the appraisal on their computer, told me to bring the car in tomorrow and they have it fixed in 2 days. I dropped off the car and Car Guys called Enterprise Rental Car at LSL, which came and picked me up. I was given a fairly new Hyundai Sonata and was told it was paid by Travelers.

Car Guys called the next day and said when the tech got under the car they found more damage to the trunk. I said what do you want me to do, they said nothing. They had already called Travelers and the appraiser had already stopped by and had revised the amount to $2400. Four days later I picked up the car, the paint and everything looked perfect. Didn't pay a penny and didn't even report it to my insurance company since they weren't needed.
That is an amazingly, efficient, effective way to do business. I am extremely impressed!

I will check out Travelers, & AAA next.
I greatly appreciate all that you have shared here, and your recommendation.

We have never met, & probably never will, but today,
You are my Hero!
Closed Thread

Tags
auto, state, farm, insurance, rates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.