Automaster of Leesburg - BEWARE

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2018, 10:08 AM
Default Automaster of Leesburg - BEWARE

Sorry to say that I had a very bad experience with this auto repair shop in Leesburg. I took my daughter's Kia Forte in for a routine 30,000 mile service. The manager Tom tried to talk me into new brake rotors, when I just needed brake pads. He said if I didn't get the new rotors the brakes would vibrate badly and "it will not be long before you bring the car back to me". I called the Bryan Kia dealer and talked to the service manager who told me it would be unusual for the car to need new rotors at this low mileage. So, no new rotors and the car drives perfectly. He also tried to charge me $45 for a new cabin filter, while Bryan Kia would sell me one for $25. I ended up buying one at Advance Auto parts for $10. I understand this used to be a reputable company but changed hands recently. Beware.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Majority try to run the bill up on unsuspecting customers. Took my car to dealer for routine oil change, they over filled it. Course I didn’t verify the level before I left. So had to crawl under the car And drain quart out. Most don’t verify the work done. I just change my own fluids now.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Car need brakes at 30K whats up with that?
If they did replace brakes only and no rotors and problem did arise you would hold them accountable..They are just protecting them selves from customers who want quickest and cheapest fix
Old 11-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,614 Times in 5,196 Posts

Replacing the rotors as part of a brake job is not unusual. When labor was cheap, they used to remove the rotors and turn them down. But now, if the rotors are warped, new ones are the best way to go. There is no way the Kia dealer could determine the condition of the rotors without looking at them. Mileage is not a good indicator because heavy braking can wear out brakes fast. Based on the information provided, I am not sure they were trying to rip you off.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 11-11-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have had decent luck with Automasters. We will continue with their service.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
You might want to reread OP's last line.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

We always had great luck with Automaster but when their owner retired we sold our Jaguar and bought American so it would be easier to find good service. Too bad, they used to be a great business and honest.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 PM

Your brakes are fine today but your rotors as they wear with the new pads installed will not be able to dissipate the heat that is created by applying the brakes. Your daughter will feel pedal pulsations before the new brake pads are worn. Anybody who works on brakes for a living knows that rotors can cause a lot of brake problems. Uneven rotor wear (which may be due to excessive rotor runout or rotor distortion) often produces variations in thickness that can be felt as pedal pulsations when the brakes are applied. The condition usually worsens as the rotors continue to wear, eventually requiring the rotors to be resurface replaced. Rotors made today are not solid so turning them may not be option because they warp.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Have you been there recently? They were bought out last year, I used to take my car there as well, always got great service and work, not now!

Horrible experience, over charged for work, work not done properly, 4 trips back to them to "fix" problem, still not right.

Cost me an additional $270.00 from another repair shop to fix my brakes so they actually worked!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldseekur View Post
Have you been there recently? They were bought out last year, I used to take my car there as well, always got great service and work, not now!

Horrible experience, over charged for work, work not done properly, 4 trips back to them to "fix" problem, still not right.

Cost me an additional $270.00 from another repair shop to fix my brakes so they actually worked!
So who do you go to for service?
Old 11-15-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Hutson Automotive
Craig
352-728-1454

I have a 2006 Original smart car. He actually told me over the phone what was wrong with my brakes after I described what was going on with them. Impressed me.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Auto masters, in my most recent experience is more expensive than a BMW dealer, so why go there. Used to be my go to service dealer for our BMW 650, not with the new owners.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Majority try to run the bill up on unsuspecting customers. Took my car to dealer for routine oil change, they over filled it. Course I didn’t verify the level before I left. So had to crawl under the car And drain quart out. Most don’t verify the work done. I just change my own fluids now.
How/where do you dispose of the old oil?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Replacing the rotors as part of a brake job is not unusual. When labor was cheap, they used to remove the rotors and turn them down. But now, if the rotors are warped, new ones are the best way to go. There is no way the Kia dealer could determine the condition of the rotors without looking at them. Mileage is not a good indicator because heavy braking can wear out brakes fast. Based on the information provided, I am not sure they were trying to rip you off.
Not unusual to be told that rotors are "warped" and need 'trued,' but almost always...unnecessary.

Brake Rotor Warp Myth Debunked (poke here)
Quote:

3. Brake Rotors Warp

FALSE.

Rotors don’t warp.

Back in the 1970s, in what was probably a scene right out of the movie Dazed and Confused, someone came up with a theory about brake-rotor “warping,” and it totally stuck. Why? Probably because, in layman’s terms, it makes sense.

But then real life happens and this faulty explanation doesn’t hold up to scientific scrutiny.

What is often described as “warping” is actually the presence of two separate phenomena that can happen in isolation or in combination with each other, and neither has anything to do with warping.

These phenomena are:

Brake torque variation (BTV), and
Disc thickness variation (DTV)

And some more...

Warped' Rotors Myth - Correctly Service Brakes: Runout, Disc Thickness

Raybestos Brake Tech School, Part One: Rotors Don't Warp | Hendon Publishing
Old 02-23-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
I dropped mine off at the Sumter County collection a couple months ago.

Tags
rotors, kia, car, beware, brake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.