Avoid hiring Handyman Services

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Default Avoid hiring Handyman Services

Please do not hire Handyman Services (Shawn Byrne, owner). I hired them to do 2 jobs:
1. Apply epoxy to my garage floor. They applied epoxy and flakes, and told me that clear coat was not required. When I observed all the flakes falling off, I insisted clear coat be applied.

2. Apply knock down concrete and paint lanai floor, They did not tape or protect anything with plastic. They got concrete/paint all over my lanai screens, and siding. They then pulled my power washer out of my garage and used it to clean the screens without even asking. They broke my power washer, I had to buy a new one to replace it. They used my new garden hose, and took my hose sprayer. They then brought a more powerful power washer to try to clean screens, then tore holes in my screen. I am still fighting a month later to get the screens replaced. When I text them, the owner now tells me, "I was going to replace them, but I refuse to let you dictate when I do it." Really??? I am still fighting with them to finish cleaning up my mess, and I will never recover the loss of them tearing up my power washer.

Stay far away from this company. They drive a white pickup truck. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh-ohio View Post
Please do not hire Handyman Services (Shawn Byrne, owner). I hired them to do 2 jobs:
1. Apply epoxy to my garage floor. They applied epoxy and flakes, and told me that clear coat was not required. When I observed all the flakes falling off, I insisted clear coat be applied.

2. Apply knock down concrete and paint lanai floor, They did not tape or protect anything with plastic. They got concrete/paint all over my lanai screens, and siding. They then pulled my power washer out of my garage and used it to clean the screens without even asking. They broke my power washer, I had to buy a new one to replace it. They used my new garden hose, and took my hose sprayer. They then brought a more powerful power washer to try to clean screens, then tore holes in my screen. I am still fighting a month later to get the screens replaced. When I text them, the owner now tells me, "I was going to replace them, but I refuse to let you dictate when I do it." Really??? I am still fighting with them to finish cleaning up my mess, and I will never recover the loss of them tearing up my power washer.

Stay far away from this company. They drive a white pickup truck. PM me if you have any questions.
I hired a handyman in 2011 to do a lot jobs on a new CYV after I had read pages and pages of reviews about him on this site. It was Tim 'The Toolman' Miller, and as expected he did everything right and his prices were great. I have heard in the past couple of years he is no longer a handyman, but does epoxy floors exclusively fulltime and he does great work. His phone number is (352)217-0561.

Here are some reviews from Angies list;

Miller's Home Services Reviews - Fruitland Park, FL | Angie's List

From talkofthevillages.com;

Tim the Tool Man

You can do a search yourself and find many more threads phrasing Tim's work. In fact before you do any project it's always best to do a search on TOTV.

Here's a floor Tim Miller did;

The Villages Florida

Garage Floor Coating
Old 07-29-2018, 05:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Sorry, such a shame.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Platinum member

Tim just did epoxy on our garage floor. Excellent job. Timing precisely as he said it would be.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:

I have had similar experience with "Handymen" here in the villages as well. The last one walked off with my brand new Samsung *8+ phone, my drill, entire bag of brackets that I needed for the project, AND he said he had to go to Home Depot to get a tool or something, so I asked him if he would pick up a few things and paid he cash - never came back, next day - I realized my phone was GONE! He never returned my calls, and sole half the things I had in my garage! I have a picture of him... maybe I should show him to you, might be same guy!
Old 08-03-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernadette1 View Post
I have had similar experience with "Handymen" here in the villages as well. The last one walked off with my brand new Samsung *8+ phone, my drill, entire bag of brackets that I needed for the project, AND he said he had to go to Home Depot to get a tool or something, so I asked him if he would pick up a few things and paid he cash - never came back, next day - I realized my phone was GONE! He never returned my calls, and sole half the things I had in my garage! I have a picture of him... maybe I should show him to you, might be same guy!
Uhhh...Did you call the police? Did you have the phone pinged?
Old 09-29-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Uhhh...Did you call the police? Did you have the phone pinged?
There was no proof that he did it, the cops said. *Marion Police are difficult to deal with. By the time I realized the phone was gone, I called ATT and they tried to ping it and they said it was "off the grid"...
Old 09-29-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Have you contacted "Seniors Against Crimes" in The Villages. They get RESULTS. Also, you should report your experience to them because they keep the complaints they get on them. They wont give you information on the complaints, but they will advise you to either stay away from them (before you hire anyone, check with the Seniors Against Crime first.
Old 09-29-2018, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Well if we are talking handiman ........... we had a wonderful husband and wife Team called Mr. and Mrs. Fix It. They were exceptionally good, never had a complaint about them and their price was more than fair. However, I called them recently and they have disappeared. No answer to the phone so I have to assume they have moved away. Does anyone know anything about them, they are a lovely couple and I hope nothing has happened to either one of them.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-30-2018, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Well if we are talking handiman ........... we had a wonderful husband and wife Team called Mr. and Mrs. Fix It. They were exceptionally good, never had a complaint about them and their price was more than fair. However, I called them recently and they have disappeared. No answer to the phone so I have to assume they have moved away. Does anyone know anything about them, they are a lovely couple and I hope nothing has happened to either one of them.
I recently used Mr. Fix It. Don't know if it's the same person but he did a great job and very reasonable. His real name is Tony at 941-780-1105.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
I recently used Mr. Fix It. Don't know if it's the same person but he did a great job and very reasonable. His real name is Tony at 941-780-1105.
Thank you for your reply. No Tony is not "my" Mr. Fix It, but he might have purchased their name. My Mr. Fix It was Walter and I cannot remember Mrs. Fix It's name. They were, and hopefully still are, lovely people and very reasonable.

However, I will try Tony from now on when I need a Mr. Fix It. Thanks.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-30-2018, 03:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logdog View Post
We have used this gentleman, Tony, and were very pleased.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Handy---men ??

[QUOTE=My Post;1568746]Uhhh...Did you call the police? Did

Had a handyman and his crew. They goofed up everything, I had to redo it. Handyman had on his card, licensed and insured for the villages. Reported him, filed a complaint, NO ONE CARES, believe me, be careful, NO ONE CARES. Everyone has the word, they can help, they do not. He is still getting jobs in the Villages, they do not care.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:27 PM
Sage

Write this info down and save it for when you need a very honest and reasonable Handyman who does great work :
Dave Wilt at 352-470-7917
Old 10-01-2018, 06:47 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Write this info down and save it for when you need a very honest and reasonable Handyman who does great work :
Dave Wilt at 352-470-7917
Dave is the greatest. He's done many jobs for Mary and I.
Closed Thread

Tags
power, screens, washer, lanai, clean

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.