Back Up Power NEVER Be Out Again!

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2019, 11:23 AM
Default Back Up Power NEVER Be Out Again!

The hurricanes and storms are getting worse and more frequent. Golf cart rode into power supply a couple of weeks ago and we were out for several hours. Incredible heat in the summer, how long do I want to be without air conditioning or lights? Image if I had medical issues and was on dialysis or oxygen. I frequently work from home which I couldn't do without power. I contacted Accurate Power and Technology located in Eustis, they have been in business 14 years. They promptly come out and gave me a free in home evaluation. They size your home and needs. This is a standby unit ready to go! I don't have to try to store a generator in my small garage and deal with gas cans and extension cords. Power goes out, this goes on automatically. They handle the hook up, gas or propane, permits installation and serving the unit, everything is done by them. I will tell you up front it wasn't cheap but for my comfort and safety it's a worth wild investment. They had special financing and just started a lease program. I am getting quotes from other companies but none of them handle the entire project like Accurate Power. It takes about 6-8 weeks for permitting and install. Going to be worth every penny. Here's their number Accurate Power and Technology 352-735-8285
Old 10-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think you will find most vendors do either gas or electric so you might ask the generator vendors who they usually work with for gas.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I am happy that you are happy.

Of interest to others is propane tanks are 'full' at 80%, so a 200 gallon tank is 160 gallons. Propane contains less energy than gasoline, thus propane generators use more gallons than a same sized generator powered by gasoline. A rule of thumb is 2.6 gallons per hour depending on size. So plan on power for less three days of power Generac Home Generator Fuel Consumption.

Of course if you have natural gas you are set, or get a 400 gallon tank for five days power.

Conversely, with planning and compromise you can save several thousands with a 2K or 3.5K inverter genset and get most of what you need. I did this, Nucky did this. Perhaps he will chime in.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I am happy that you are happy.

Of interest to others is propane tanks are 'full' at 80%, so a 200 gallon tank is 160 gallons. Propane contains less energy than gasoline, thus propane generators use more gallons than a same sized generator powered by gasoline. A rule of thumb is 2.6 gallons per hour depending on size. So plan on power for less three days of power Generac Home Generator Fuel Consumption.

Of course if you have natural gas you are set, or get a 400 gallon tank for five days power.

Conversely, with planning and compromise you can save several thousands with a 2K or 3.5K inverter genset and get most of what you need. I did this, Nucky did this. Perhaps he will chime in.
Toymeister saved me from laying out some Big Money and I ended up with a Predator 3500 Watt Unit that was highly rated by Consumer Report and it runs the Kitchen Refrigerator, a 10,000 BTU Window A/C a Modem, a Television, Cpap & Oxygen Concentrator and several lights with plenty of power to spare. The total was about $1100 with Gas Cans, Extention Cords and several upgrades to the Generator.

I am so happy I listened to Toymeister and went the smaller smarter route. I have used it twice so far as we have been losing power about once a month at night time. Takes about 15 minutes to get up and running.

The unit came from Harbor Freight @ $600 and was half the price of the Honda. I know I took a chance but it's worth it. Time will tell.

Last edited by Nucky; 10-19-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Platinum member

The important thing about these smaller inverter gensets is how fuel efficient they are. This is a huge improvement over the 5.5 or 8k gensets that are available at home improvement stores.

Any system is only as good as it's weak point. For most generators it's the fuel.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The important thing about these smaller inverter gensets is how fuel efficient they are. This is a huge improvement over the 5.5 or 8k gensets that are available at home improvement stores.

Any system is only as good as it's weak point. For most generators it's the fuel.
I used about a gallon and a half in 10 hours. The worst part was putting the A/C in the window and back in the box as soon as the power came on the next day. I follow the rules but I consider no electricity to be an Emergency for me.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Bought our first home in 2010, never lost power for longer than an hour. Up north we have a contractor generator that runs 220 if we need. There we can lose power for 10 days in dead of winter. When we sell there will bring our trusty generator, with gas can.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Default Natural Gas Generator

We are in escrow in an 11 month old home in DeSoto with natural gas. According to our inspector, we should go with the 3.5 genny running on natural gas. Anybody have experience with that setup?
Old 10-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfishjeff View Post
We are in escrow in an 11 month old home in DeSoto with natural gas. According to our inspector, we should go with the 3.5 genny running on natural gas. Anybody have experience with that setup?
I doubt that size will power the central AC, IMHO, get in the hose, get several months of actual electrical use, then investigate the need for a generator and the appropriate size.
Now having lived just North of 44 for 6 years, there have been very few power outages, and NONE in this area during Irma. The outages we have had were generally less than 2 hours. While I have thought about getting one (had on up north for a 5 day outage), but really does not seem to be justified here, at least not for a whole house unit ($$$$$), a small inverter based unit ( 1 to 2 kW) would cover the refrigerator, small medical devices, a few lights, and a fan or 2.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfishjeff View Post
I have an electricity monitor where I can see the actual watts used in real time, so I feel uniquely qualified to answer this.

Bottom line if you want to operate your home as you always do, no this is inadequate.

A 3.5 ton ac unit takes 2700 watts. Your water heater 4500 for electric, tack on spikes to start the AC and you are in solid 10,000 plus watts territory. For a gas powered home you are in 5 to 7.5K watts territory.

The things people point to as big power consumers are not, fridge is 117 watts always on is150 to 300. Anything that is resistance heat sucks down watts

That said if you are not running the entire home, particularly the whole house ac, then 3500 watts will work, you will need to use a 10,000 btu window based ac unit, perhaps slightly larger.

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-20-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Waist of money IMHO
Old 10-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Waist of money IMHO
It most certainly is just like fire insurance on a home, almost always.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:10 PM

I looked into a gas powered portable unit. If the electricity goes out unexpected I have to hope I have gas in the can and enough of it. Dig out the usually buried portable generator put it somewhere where the fumes won't effect anyone, install my window a/c unit because they are not permitted in The Villages, then run extension cords to things I think I can run, which I will probably trip over in an unlit home. And hope everything works. Or I can lease for a minimal payment a standby generator that automatically comes on whether I am home or not with pretty much the entire home working. Another concern I had was the rapid growth of mold in a home with out a/c in 90 plus high humidity weather. Maybe it's not wanted by everyone. I am sure if the power goes out for a period of time I will feel safe and comfortable. My husband has declining health and even a few hours without A/C could be a problem. I am told if you need it for medical reasons the insurance will pick up part of the tab, going to look into it!
Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 AM

I'm with you....waste of money.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:18 AM

You can say it's a waste of money until you are sitting in a hot, dark home. Turn off your ac and no lights for 4 hours and see how it feels. It gets hot real fast. It may not be for you, but given a safe alternative, I am spending a little bit to be safe and comfortable.
Closed Thread

Tags
power, accurate, home, handle, worth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.