Back Up Power NEVER Be Out Again!

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2019, 01:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I would not recommend emtying your car of gasoline during a widespread power outage after a hurricane.
That is obvious. My tank holds 28 gallons. Almost assuredly yours holds 15 to 16 gallons. But let's say you don't own a car at all, you own one gas cart and one five gallon gas can which you filled. Do you think your neighbors would let you syphon some gas from their cart if you hosted them, kept their food cold, charged their phone?

Mine sure would.

But let's go completely worst case, you have no friends, no neighbors who want to help. Nine gallons equals sixty hours of power, if you leave a gallon in the cart. Or, in preparation you realize, after some self assessment, your plight as a loner without a friend within sight, buy two more gas cans. Now you are set at 120 hours, 40 minutes of power.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
That is obvious. My tank holds 28 gallons. Almost assuredly yours holds 15 to 16 gallons. But let's say you don't own a car at all, you own one gas cart and one five gallon gas can which you filled. Do you think your neighbors would let you syphon some gas from their cart if you hosted them, kept their food cold, charged their phone?

Mine sure would.

But let's go completely worst case, you have no friends, no neighbors who want to help. Nine gallons equals sixty hours of power, if you leave a gallon in the cart. Or, in preparation you realize, after some self assessment, your plight as a loner without a friend within sight, buy two more gas cans. Now you are set at 120 hours, 40 minutes of power.
Seniors with various health issues siphoning gas from one container to the next..Has disaster written all over it
Old 10-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Seniors with various health issues siphoning gas from one container to the next..Has disaster written all over it
If you can't operate this simple 12 volt powered transfer pump designed for this purpose with detailed instructions then you have no business operating generator at all. https://www.amazon.com/GasTapper-Gas...g%2C509&sr=8-6

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-23-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:52 AM

"There is never a situation where you will need a 22,000 watt generator, never. Millions of homes in the US have 100 amp service, that's 12,000 watts to you and I. While it is true that most homes in TV have 200 amp service you don't need it." From previous post.

I was concerned about his comments above, so I called Accurate Power. The most common stand by unit for most homes with 1 a/c unit is the Generac 22KW. The county which issues the permits goes off the start up amps used for the home. This unit is a 100 amp which is in actually only 84 amp if running on natural gas. The county uses the start up amp on your a/c unit not the running amp which is a big difference. Mine was running 14 amp, but start up 68 amp. The county then adds in all other appliances and other electrical draws as if everything was on. I told them I never have everything on, but that is how the county does it for permitting. I asked other people who have this unit and they said they didn't even know the power went out the transition was so smooth. It may not be for everyone, but I will be glad to have one!
Closed Thread

Tags
power, accurate, home, handle, worth

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.