Bad experience with Macys Online

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2019, 08:36 PM
Default Bad experience with Macys Online

After two weeks of shopping for furniture for the new house in TV we finally settled on buying some from Macys. We figured, it isn't exactly what we wanted, but we like it and at least nothing should go wrong, it's Macys - RIGHT?

So we ordered a few rooms of furniture from their website.

We scheduled it to be delivered Sat Sept 7th so we would have furniture soon after we move in on the 4th when one of Sharons kids (and his family) will be here from California to help us move in.

A week later we had heard nothing about the order from them, so we checked online. And the entire order had been canceled by "unknown".

Sharon called customer service. 12 people and 4 or 5 hours later, seriously 12 people, numerous dropped calls, and the bottom line was no one knew why the order was cancelled and no one had any suggestions on what to do about it.

Sharon finally spoke with someone that agreed to manually re-entered the order into the system. And attempted to charge it to Sharons CC, which was declined. Sharon called her CC company and they said they did not decline it, but they would flag the account to be sure it was approved. Sharon had Macy's try again, it was declined.

After several attempts and Macys being unable to get the charge to work, while Sharons CC bank said there was nothing wrong on their end, she gave up and I gave them one of my cards.

The charge was declined. I called my bank and they said they had flagged it as unusual and to have Macy's run it again and it would be approved. Macy's ran it again and it was approved.

A few days later we checked on Sharon's Macy's account and there was NO sign of the order. Nothing. NADA, ZIP.

We had an order number, but it did not show that order online. However it did say we could check on the status of "orders" 24 hours before an order was to be delivered.

Again after a long series of talking to people that had no idea what was wrong, Sharon found someone that confirmed the order was okay and in the system but could not figure out why it was not showing in Sharon's account.

Two weeks later (today) we got a call "confirming" the furniture was scheduled to be delivered on Sept 21st.

(Yup, it was supposed to be scheduled to be delivered on the 7th)

The original charges on my CC had fallen off, which is normal, and "real" charges started showing up. My CC company sends me texts to confirm large charges. In looking over the charges, they added up to more than the order should be.

Again Sharon called Macys, Macy's confirmed all the charges were from them except one for about $5,000 which they said they did not make. Seriously??? (They never did explain why the order was split up over several charges, I assumed it was because pieces where being shipped from different warehouses or stores? I dunno)

I called my CC company, and reported that Macys denied making the charge, and they canceled the card and logged it saying they would send out a new card in a day or two. However, one of the "real" charges had been declined because of the one Macys claims they didn't make had flagged the charges as suspicious. Sigh...

So, Sharon called Macys and explained we had to give them another card number to pay the remaining balance of the order since the one they had was deactivated.

The customer service agent said she couldn't help us with that, but she would transfer Sharon to the department that could.

That department she transferred Sharon to was closed for the day and the call dropped into voice mail.

As I type this Sharon just got another (second) call from the Macys shipping department. It turns out the delivery will not happen on the 21st after all, and in fact it has been placed on indefinite hold, and they can not tell us when (if ever) it will be delivered. To be fair this is because of Dorian, but that doesn't help us, or explain all the problems with this order. Plus my CC has been charged for part of the order, before they actually shipped the order which I have never heard of a online company doing - and thought it was illegal. anyway...

I think we are going to cancel the order tomorrow and just shop the consignment stores around TV to get what we need

Two key learnings from this experience.

One, we will NEVER do any business with Macys again. PERIOD. Customer service for online sales is completely incompetent. And I don't think the charges were "FRAUDULENT". I think their online sales are just so screwed up they have no idea what they are charging to my card.

Two, my next move will be into an urn.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Macy’s? I thought they folded, sounds like the should, or will if they don’t get their act together.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

For years I though their credit card operations were inferior (no errors, just slow) to other companies and got no satisfaction from my letters to them. Finally their customer service in the stores we used got so poor that we stopped shopping there a few years ago. Today they cut my credit in half but I guess since I do not use their card I can not fault them for that. But the card is probably at least 30 years old. Sad to see how the store declined over the years.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

Unbelievable! No wonder Macy’s is floundering.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Try "Rooms To Go". I've had good results from them.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Rooms to Go, Kanes, City Furniture and Badcock are budget furniture stores. Don't go to Kanes if you want leather, they sell bonded leather which will deteriorate in 2 or 3 years, or don't go to City Furniture, numerous complaints you can find using the search feature on this website. Badcock Furniture in Wildwood Shopping Center is the best bang for the buck for budget furniture.

Comparable to Macys, go to Babettes, a local company that specializes in Flexsteel and is now in Brownwood, I believe they have 2 showrooms across from Gators Dockside. Blockers in Ocala, next to Kane's behind Krystal Hamburgers. Haverty's Furniture in Winter Garden, just off the Florida Turnpike in Winter Garden Plaza and Baer's Furniture is on Colonial Hwy (Rt 50) not far past Winter Garden. These companies all have websites.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

"Bad experience with Macy's"...sounds familiar.

After being a long-time, loyal customer that even used their CC, my better half became disgusted with a number of different problems...and quit buying from them about 10 years ago.

Besides having a lot of "gotchas" on promotions, some of it stemmed from the fact that we always paid the CC bill before any interest could accrue (IIRC, it was some astronomic amount like 29%?)...so they started tacking on some kind of 'user fee' to get a few extra bucks from us.

That didn't go over very well.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,737 Posts

We had good luck with White’s furniture highway 441. Shopped close to July4th and they had good sales. We were in TV only for 2 days because hubby has to work up north. The delivery was coordinated with Empty Nest, who actually took pictures to show us how everything was delivered and set up in our rooms. Empty Nest is the best!
Old 09-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

WOW, you story borders on unbelievable, but we also had very good service and prices at Whites furniture.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 PM

A third for Whites furniture and service.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 09-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Macy’s is primarily a Department store and I believe their furniture Department is not a high priority for Macy’s. We bought most of our furniture from Family Furniture in Leesburg out on US 441 near the airport. They were great to deal with.

Tags
order, macys, sharon, charges, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.