Install new window in wall

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Default Install new window in wall

We have a room with a tiny window up near the ceiling. So the room is dark.

Has anyone in the Villages had a new window punched into a wall? I understand about load bearing walls, and the Architectural Review Board, etc.

Just want to know if anyone has ever done it, and if so who did it? How much did it cost? Any problems with ARB, etc.

Forgot to mention: the house is stucco.

Last edited by aletarw; 11-17-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

When we upgraded our lanai windows, fire codes changed and we had to have a secondary exit (aside from the slider into the lanai) from the bedroom, which meant a window where there had been none.

It cost us about $700, and Brian Terry Vinyl had it done for us. I will say that the worker who did it failed to pass the inspection twice, and the supervisor had to come out and do it correctly. Don’t know if they were employees of Brian Terry or subs. Also, the cost may have been less because it was part of a bigger project (?). This was about 4-5 years ago.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

We had neighbors who added a window for the same reason as Bjeanj. They used Custom Windows in Leesburg. They had no problems with the window but I don't know the cost.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aletarw View Post
We have a room with a tiny window up near the ceiling. So the room is dark.

Has anyone in the Villages had a new window punched into a wall? I understand about load bearing walls, and the Architectural Review Board, etc.

Just want to know if anyone has ever done it, and if so who did it? How much did it cost? Any problems with ARB, etc.
The type of construction (poured concrete, block, or wood) will make a big difference in cost I am sure, our guest bathroom has a narrow glass block window, that i would really like to be 2 rows high. We have a block style house, I am going to follow and see what the replies are.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,241 Posts

Have you considered a solar tube?
Old 11-17-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Have you considered a solar tube?
Good idea .... worked great for us. They run $600-750+ plus you get a Federal solar credit with them if you add the "solar nightlight" kit Solar Guys (not sure of the others) sells for $50. Problem is, if it's cloudy the room is still dark. Every time I go into our hallway I yell at my wife for leaving the light on.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,773 Times in 1,241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Good idea .... worked great for us. They run $600-750+ plus you get a Federal solar credit with them if you add the "solar nightlight" kit Solar Guys (not sure of the others) sells for $50. Problem is, if it's cloudy the room is still dark. Every time I go into our hallway I yell at my wife for leaving the light on.
Leaving a LED lamps on all the time would be the most cost effective solution, you're wife is very wise
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
The type of construction (poured concrete, block, or wood) will make a big difference in cost I am sure, our guest bathroom has a narrow glass block window, that i would really like to be 2 rows high. We have a block style house, I am going to follow and see what the replies are.
Village tinker is right; I didn’t think to mention ours is frame with siding. I’m sure that makes a huge difference.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Bjeanj, I did exactly what you want to do on 7 or 8 windows up North. The house had the old single pane aluminum frame windows. I bought standard size replacement windows, which were the exact same width, but about 6 inches longer. I use a reciprocating saw and was able to cut out the exiting windows (aluminum siding), and then cut the additional opening for the new windows. Since I did not cut the original header, all I had to do was install a new lower 2 by for the window support. I added insulation before installing the 2 by and then the window. "J" channel was used to finish the outside siding. The inside was finished with 1/2 inch trim boards and suitable molding. The estimate I had was over $500 per window installed, my cost was less than $150 per window. The cost savings was I used standard size windows and adjusted the opening, custom windows were much more expensive.
Send me a PM with your phone number if you would like to discuss further.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 AM

Following. Hoping someone will come up with good info.
Closed Thread

Tags
window, room, wall, board, arb

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.