pergolas

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Default pergolas

Has anyone had a pergola built by anyone other than Magellan or Pergola Kings?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:27 PM

Yes, Village Palm did ours 3 years ago and it is rotting out now. The contract said they used pressure treated wood, which they did not. We had them back to our place to reassess and hopefully have a new one installed and they insisted it was pressure treated, that we did not maintain it and that the problem was that Confederate Jasmine was growing on it. They presented us with a hefty estimate to repair it. We had several contractors both local offices and retired contractors look at this and all agree it is not pressure treated lumber. I've again notified them of this and that if they do not respond appropriately by mid month a notice will be going to the Better Business. Haven't heard back yet. Doubt that I will. It's unfortunate. We also pointed out that 2 of the ornamental grasses never bloomed and received a "huh!". After thorough assessment we will be using Magellon.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:38 PM
Sage

If I may ask...what cost estimate did Pergula Kings give you?? How big is the space it's covering as I know that would figure into the cost. Just curious as we've approached the idea of doing this and wondered if it's worth the expense.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 PM

Very pleased with Brian Terry Vinyl. Call and ask for Wayne Terry. He did our lanai enclosure as well. Great job, great customer service, and great follow-up.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM

They quoted a price of $3,500 for a 8x10 area.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

Mine is made of florida cypress, 12x24, I contracted the guy, and I ordered the lumber, and had it delivered. Total cost $2400.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:00 PM
Sage

How bout some pergola pictures??!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:40 AM
Gold member

If village palms gave you a written contract , reread it and see if they said they would use rot or pressure treated wood. If not written in contract I don't think there is much you can do. Usually if I am not mistaken, you must get the ok from the ARC and the building dept. before you do build a pergola .The building dept would issue you a building permit after they reviewed your plans. Dont just take the word on what a contractor tells you. Go to the building dept and run thru any thing that contractors tells you. They will have the correct information on material that should be used in the construction of your home.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:01 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hello don't know if you called or received any estimates yet, but at Windows of Central Florida we also do pergolas in addition to windows and lanais. We would be happy to come out at no cost, and just take a look at what you're looking to do. If you look under our profile we have an album and there are some pergola pics in there. Feel free to call us at 352-217-8151 and ask for Kevin.

Christie
Old 01-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Default Rotten pergola

I don't know of a way to Prove it wasn't pressure treated lumber. Judging from the decay, I think they misrepresented the materials.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	47069  

Last edited by scrapple; 01-17-2015 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Pix
Old 01-18-2015, 05:33 AM
Sage

Actually, pressure treated lumber will rot fairly quickly in this climate if not maintained and installed properly. It must be sealed and re-sealed on a regular basis, and prolonged exposure to water must be avoided.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 AM

It is always difficult to rectify a job after 3 years. When we last met, I sent someone to replace some of the lumber, but when no maintenance was done, and Jasmine growing on the lumber keeps it moist and shaded, blame can not all fall on Village Palms. I have no record of you calling us lately, or I would have called you back. The grasses that you said did not bloom (or get plumes on them) maybe they are just too shaded by your fence. If you want to pick up a new plant come by the nursery and see me, but I can't guarantee that the next one will bloom either. Sincerely sorry.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
It is always difficult to rectify a job after 3 years. When we last met, I sent someone to replace some of the lumber, but when no maintenance was done, and Jasmine growing on the lumber keeps it moist and shaded, blame can not all fall on Village Palms. I have no record of you calling us lately, or I would have called you back. The grasses that you said did not bloom (or get plumes on them) maybe they are just too shaded by your fence. If you want to pick up a new plant come by the nursery and see me, but I can't guarantee that the next one will bloom either. Sincerely sorry.
Hello!
I don't want to continue this conversation on this forum other than to address that you sent someone to replace 2 boards for free and handed us a hefty bill to address the remainder of the pergola. I don't understand why other pergolas have jasmine growing on them minimal maintence. I contacted you via your web site, not sure why you didn't receive that message. It would be appropriate for you to contact us directly. Regards!
Old 02-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
Mine is made of florida cypress, 12x24,
Cypress or Western red cedar is the only two woods to use they will not rot or attract bugs

I built my pergola out of Cypress, I can give you the name of the mill I had custom cut it about 15 x 40 was about $1200 in materiel.

You do need permits, great guy is Drew to draw up plans with engineers stamp
he's at Bluewater Drafting in Oxford.

Making part of my lanai enclosed with glass the window frames I making out of Western Red cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrudd View Post
They quoted a price of $3,500 for a 8x10 area.
That is way too much $$
Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Actually, pressure treated lumber will rot fairly quickly in this climate if not maintained and installed properly. It must be sealed and re-sealed on a regular basis, and prolonged exposure to water must be avoided.
That's the reason it shouldn't be used perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGirl View Post
It is always difficult to rectify a job after 3 years. When we last met, I sent someone to replace some of the lumber, but when no maintenance was done, and Jasmine growing on the lumber keeps it moist and shaded, blame can not all fall on Village Palms. .
Based on what I read herein you guys deserve all the blame, any structure like that should last 20 + years, maintenance should be not required to any degree or be a prerequisite for you to replace the whole thing with Cypress.

What are people that plant bushes doing building anyway?
If you are licensed to do carpentry you are to blame.

If it was pressure treated it can be used as fence posts for 20 years without rotting. As a long time woodworker I do have experience with this.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.