Best place for oil change?

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneycat View Post
did the car come with free maintenance or oil changes? if so do you lose that benefit by going elsewhere? just asking.
No.. We didn't get those included.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbym View Post
I went to the Good Year on 441 for an $18 oil change. After two hours they called me to the service desk and said my rear wiper was cut, the air filter was black and my power steering fluid was also black and needed to be flushed for $139. I said just change the oil. I changed the air filter for $12 the rear wiper was ok and the power steeling fluid was clear clean and red. This car has 40,000 miles on it. I have never seen power steering turn black on any car I have ever worked on. One time I was in a Firestone shop for an oil change and they said I had black transmission fluid so they said they would flush it and change the filter. I told them they never checked my transmission our they would know it was a 5 speed stick shift. Watch your back side with these guys.
Thanks! That's what I'm trying to avoid!!
Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
We are experts at reading typos. However, you can edit your post and correct your typos by clicking on the edit button below your post.
Thanks.. Not sure why that wasn't an option on my iPad earlier.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
That car probably takes 0W-20 oil. Make sure they put the right oil in.
Yes it's 0W-20 so I want to make sure I get someone who will have use the right oil and not try to up sell me.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know a lot of folks don't want to be bothered but it is really easy to change the oil yourself on a Honda. You can get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic at Walmart for about $25 and the filter is about $5. 0W-20 is mostly (entirely??) synthetic or a synthetic blend. If you see a really cheap oil change you want to be careful about what oil and filter they use and/or their attempts to upsell you as the oil change may be a loss leader to get you in the shop.

Do you need to use 0W-20 in your Honda? Maybe not as the specification of 0W-20 is probably there to help with the average gas mileage for the federal CAFE requirement. I tend to follow the Honda recommendation of 0W-20 and change it myself to keep the cost reasonable. If you can find someone to change it with 0W-20 for $30 that is probably a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow8IA View Post
Yes it's 0W-20 so I want to make sure I get someone who will have use the right oil and not try to up sell me.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I know a lot of folks don't want to be bothered but it is really easy to change the oil yourself on a Honda. You can get 5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 synthetic at Walmart for about $25 and the filter is about $5. 0W-20 is mostly (entirely??) synthetic or a synthetic blend. If you see a really cheap oil change you want to be careful about what oil and filter they use and/or their attempts to upsell you as the oil change may be a loss leader to get you in the shop.

Do you need to use 0W-20 in your Honda? Maybe not as the specification of 0W-20 is probably there to help with the average gas mileage for the federal CAFE requirement. I tend to follow the Honda recommendation of 0W-20 and change it myself to keep the cost reasonable. If you can find someone to change it with 0W-20 for $30 that is probably a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow8IA View Post
Old 02-02-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
Tri-County Automotive on 441/27 is very good. We took both our Acura and a PT Cruiser there for regular service.
Another vote for Tri-County.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.