Beware Mid-Florida Heating & Air trying to sell Surge Protectors

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Default Beware Mid-Florida Heating & Air trying to sell Surge Protectors

We had Mid-Florida Heating & Air come do our Furnace Cleaning and they came recommended. I don't doubt they did a good job, but at the end the guy said our outside Central Air Surge protector was "fried" and they could sell me one for over $219.00. He showed the surge protector to me in the original box.
Since I sell online, I asked if i could look the same exact one up, and sure enough, found the same one selling for $60.00. I told him what I had found, explained I felt that was a very big markup, and passed.
I will be purchasing my own and finding a local trusted electrician to install.
Anyone have a good electrician to recommend?
Old 01-24-2015, 04:07 PM

Doesn't SECO, our electric company, sell whole house surge protectors? We do not have one yet but you may want to call SECO.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastbargain View Post
We had Mid-Florida Heating & Air come do our Furnace Cleaning and they came recommended. I don't doubt they did a good job, but at the end the guy said our outside Central Air Surge protector was "fried" and they could sell me one for over $219.00. He showed the surge protector to me in the original box.
Since I sell online, I asked if i could look the same exact one up, and sure enough, found the same one selling for $60.00. I told him what I had found, explained I felt that was a very big markup, and passed.
If the surge protector was "fried" I doubt that the AC unit would be operational.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:25 PM
Eternal Member

Be sure to check with Seniors vs Crime on hiring an electrician. They are open in Sumter County on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 10-2. They will not recommend any specific electrician but will tell you if there are unresolved complaints about a company or person.

They also would be interested to hear about the experience you had with this company. Some of those "inspections or cleanings" are just a way to get into your system and tell you that you need more extensive work - when your system is fine.

I think a permit is mandatory for electrical work but Seniors vs Crime can tell you for sure.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacoastbargain View Post
We Had Pike install a whole house protector at the panel. I believe SECO provides a collar protector at the meter. I suspect someone knows the difference but we went with Pike since we are relatively new here and they did the original wiring during construction.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Lenhart's is very good and ethical.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Sage

Home Depot sells plug in whole house surge protectors--if you have the expertise to change a circuit breaker you can instal one of these-its a no brainer
Old 01-24-2015, 05:03 PM

Thanks I will check with SECO.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.