BUG SPRAYING

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Default BUG SPRAYING

I HAVE NOTICED THAT MOST OF YOU HAVE A PROFESSIONAL BUG/INSECT COMPANY COME IN AND SPRAY THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOME.. DOES ANYONE DO IT THEMSELVES AND IF YOU DO WHAT IS INVOLVED AND WHAT IS THE COST? THANK THE KAR GUY
Old 08-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Default Re: BUG SPRAYING

most pest control companies treat the outside of the housse creating a barrier so no need arises to treat the inside. my neighbors did mine for me when they did theirs the first few years but now that those neighbors have moved away, being mobility challenged i hired a pest control company(house shrubs and lawn) 45-50 a month for a patio villa.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Veteran member

I have a question for those of you who hire professionals for pest control.

Are the chemicals safe? I'm sure they must meet code but I'm the type that uses table salt to control weeds! I don't like using chemicals at all and always wonder about the long term ill effects this stuff has on people and pets.

Has anyone researched the products that are used for pest control?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM

i think there are a couple environmentally safe pest control companies in the villages now but i haven't reaearched them as yet.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539

Are the chemicals safe? I'm sure they must meet code but I'm the type that uses table salt to control weeds! I don't like using chemicals at all and always wonder about the long term ill effects this stuff has on people and pets.

Hi Nanci. I'm not a scientist, but prior to retirement I worked with dozens of internationally renowned PhD's who did environmental research and analysis. Their specialities ranged from Organic and Inorganic Chemistry to Nuclear Chemistry to Biochemistry and Microbiology (and more).

The most important thing I learned from the Director of all the environmental scientists (he was my immediate supervisor) is that everything is in moderation. Nothing is 100% safe. While each chemical used in any particular spray must meet governments' regulatory requirements, that doesn't mean that they are all 100% safe. However, as long as you're not taking a bath in it, lying down in it, or breathing it in while it's being sprayed or is still wet to the touch, it's as "safe" as anything else. Overall, the risk of these products is based upon your personal exposure levels and body burden.

Again, not a scientist, but I don't have any worry about hiring a contractor to treat my home/lawn with these chemicals. They won't be touching my skin, and I'll close my windows for a couple hours while/after they treat the outside, so that I don't breath them in. If I'm having the inside treated, I'll open a couple windows and will leave the house for a couple hours while everything dries (or settles if it's powders). If I had a pet, I'd personally take it/them out of the house for a ride in the car till all is dry. I don't even know if these last few things (ventilating) are necessary, but it is what I will do.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM

All I know the companies that spray must have a special license. Our at gut @ Alliance is very knowledgable. LONG tern affects... Who knows... BUT as long as it is NOT made in China..we have a chance
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Everything in moderation...but when your entire community/city is doing it, thats not in moderation. Of course these toxic chemicals are bad for us. Like everything else, it will never be linked to your death, so what do they care...
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Gold member

Most of these chemicals either evaporate into the air or get washed into the soil by rain or sprinklers where they will eventually end up in the water supply.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post

No chemicals are safe. If it can kill something it has some caustic properties. But being overrun with bugs is less appealing............................

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 07-06-2012, 05:11 AM

I contract out the termite protection, but do the perimeter bug control myself. I apply liquid Talstar to the ouside perimeter of the house every 2 months. A gallon of concentrate cost about $60 and will last for 2 years. Do My Own Pest control is the best site I have found for such chemicals. The professionals wanted a total of $320 for 4 applications per year for a premier house.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar guy View Post
I HAVE NOTICED THAT MOST OF YOU HAVE A PROFESSIONAL BUG/INSECT COMPANY COME IN AND SPRAY THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE OF YOUR HOME.. DOES ANYONE DO IT THEMSELVES AND IF YOU DO WHAT IS INVOLVED AND WHAT IS THE COST? THANK THE KAR GUY
That's a good question....and something I've been wondering about.
One of the homes we rented recently had cans of roach spray above the washer and dryer in the laundry room..........plus cans of ant spray.

Back in the early 70's when we rented a house for one year on a canal on the east coast of Florida.........the pesticide service guys would come once a month or so to spray the Saint Augustine grass outdoors; he would tell me NOT to put my 2 year old son outdoors for a day or so (like the stuff wouldn't still be there the next week?) I wondered, at the time, if the wind would blow the chemicals into the screened lanai.

He would also come inside and with a "wand" spray all around the baseboards in every room. It was a three bedroom home and he was very thorough about where he sprayed..........particularly the kitchen and each bathroom, etc.

This house was owned by a retired Air Force general's widow.....so she was conscientious about spraying, whether or not she knew it was a carcinogen back in 1972....or not....I have no clue.

We returned north after one year and bought another house back in our same old neighborhood.........never having to use pest control again until we bought the condo on the beach on the Gulf of Mexico. They sprayed there as well.........entire condo was treated......ditto for the grassy areas near the pool.........

Our children are still alive and well.........but I've read that it is harmful to the little ones.

It's a catch 22. We know it's harmful......but we do not want to live with these indoor intruders.

We've discussed it and when and if we buy a home in TV, we most definitely will call in the professionals..........indoors and outdoors.

I was wondering if the insects can travel from a neighbor's home (that isn't treated at all) into your property, etc.?????????????
Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Default Ortho Home Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobandMarilyn View Post
I contract out the termite protection, but do the perimeter bug control myself. I apply liquid Talstar to the ouside perimeter of the house every 2 months. A gallon of concentrate cost about $60 and will last for 2 years. Do My Own Pest control is the best site I have found for such chemicals. The professionals wanted a total of $320 for 4 applications per year for a premier house.
In our new house I have been using "Ortho Home Defense Max" for a few months it is sold at most home good stores for short mone. Is this product effective in florida? Any opinions appreciated. thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I also do my own except termite. Spray the perimeter every 3 months and also use the Talstar products. I use the spray for the outside and the sticky traps that smell like peanut butter under the sinks inside. Both work very well and the concentrate cost was $90 and does all 3 homes for about a year or a little longer. Sprayer was about $20. I believe they had two size bottles of concentrate, the smaller one was $60 and the larger one was $90. When I used Massey I always had bug issues, now doing my own no bugs ever. Takes less then a 1/2 hour to do a through job every 3 months. I just plug it in my maintenance schedule along with smoke alarm batteries, garage door bolt tightening and lube, and about 25 other things that are done on a scheduled basis. I keep a spread sheet and just mark the date I do each item. Makes the complete home maintenance really simple.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3puttharry View Post
In our new house I have been using "Ortho Home Defense Max" for a few months it is sold at most home good stores for short mone. Is this product effective in florida? Any opinions appreciated. thanks
I used the Home Defense Max for about 6 months, works OK, but the Talstar Pro product works better. Get it here. Currently on sale for $65 a gallon of concentrate which will do the average home for about 3 years.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/ta...tml?sub_id=655
Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I use the spray for the outside and the sticky traps that smell like peanut butter under the sinks inside.
Do you get the sticky traps from domyownpestcontrol.com?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.