Cable/Internet in St Catherins

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2021, 02:54 PM
Default Cable/Internet in St Catherins

Hello friends...moving to the Villages (St Catherine) in late June 2021. I see that xFinity charges $100.00 for one time cable/internet installation. Is that a pretty common charge with all Cable/Internet providers or are the homes down there wired for a different provider? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Art

Last edited by roadkingab; 05-26-2021 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-26-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkingab View Post
Hello friends...moving to the Villages (St Catherine) in late June 2021. I see that xFinity charges $100.00 for one time cable/internet installation. Is that a pretty common charge with all Cable/Internet providers or are the homes down there wired for a different provider? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Art
I had Spectrum before and they didn't charge to hook-up. Xfinity will send you the box, etc. and you can also do it yourself. I needed to have all the cables checked in the house to make sure they were all working and also needed to install another location on another wall. They charged $100 to do all of the above including burying the new cable that was run around the house. Robert was the name of the Service Tech I had and he was great. Personally, I like Xfinity better than Spectrum basically because of the "apps" it has plus I can connect to Amazon Prime without the Firestix which I needed with Spectrum.

What I didn't like was my service went down the first day and rebooting on-line didn't work. Took me a while to find a phone number and actually get someone on the phone. It took them sometime to get my connections back up and working. That was in April and I haven't had any issues since.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,584 Times in 932 Posts

Are you living in FLA full time or part time? Spectrum lets you change your plan month to month. So I downgrade my internet when I’m not there, just to support the connected devices. Comcast wont let you.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:24 PM

I would use spectrum over comcast Customer service is far superior with spectrum
Old 05-26-2021, 07:04 PM
Default Yes it is for Comcast

If it’s a new home, the cables in the low voltage box does not have connectors on the coax. Also you would have to figure out which cable goes to which room. I paid the $100, I wasn’t happy but I paid it. Congratulations on your new home.
Old 05-26-2021, 07:33 PM

Thank you all for your responses and insight. Looks like we will have to pay the $100.00 to get hooked up!
Old 05-27-2021, 04:59 AM

I had Xfinity hooked up this past month in Hawkins. The installer didn’t charge me the full $100. They earn the install fee on new homes due to having to run a ground cable and having to ID that mess of cables in your box inside your garage.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:19 AM

Wow! I moved into Bradford a few months back - The Villages told me Xfinity was the Internet Cable provider - I was sad - bad experiences w/Xfinity in the past. I have had good experiences with Spectrum - and was absolutely thrilled to discover Spectrum *did* offer service at my new home - despite what TV paperwork indicated!! I scheduled an install - and it literally took them 5 minutes - and have had very good service with them - I work from home and no issues w/connectivity. They may have charged installation - but it was probably extremely minimal because I can’t remember what it was - I stream cable to all of my TVs - I love the channel lineup package (that I selected) - and no contract!
Old 05-27-2021, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
I had Xfinity hooked up this past month in Hawkins. The installer didn’t charge me the full $100. They earn the install fee on new homes due to having to run a ground cable and having to ID that mess of cables in your box inside your garage.
Strange - just moved into a new home in Bradford - had Spectrum connect - they **didn’t have to run any wires anywhere - just flipped a switch in the outside utility box and plugged in router and verified connection. No wires - nothing.** Internet and TV (I stream) to the TVs in each room. ***Totally wireless.*** and minutes for installer to activate and verify!
Old 05-27-2021, 05:35 AM

I'd sure take a look at streaming. We stream with Deja Vu/Spectrum internet. Shopping Cart - DEJAVUEPLUS
It's reliable, less expensive and has many more channels.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:36 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

better off going with their wi-fi. 400 Mbs for $50/mth, and firestick with streaming service for under $20/mth. gives you over 5,000 live channels, 5,000 movies, 5,000 series. Hard to beat. ask me how.
fast Eddie the villages firestick guy.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:59 AM

Spectrum is the only way to go. Stay away from Xfinity! I started at $40/mo. Now pay $118.00. Would switch if I could be we don’t have the Spectrum option where we are yet. The minute we do, I switch!
Old 05-27-2021, 06:09 AM

I would think that all the new homes "down south" would already be wired for cable services no matter who the carrier is. The $100 charge should be peace of mind that it is done correctly. I would just inquire to make sure there an not other hidden fees when they do the installation.
Old 05-27-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCros View Post
I would think that all the new homes "down south" would already be wired for cable services no matter who the carrier is.
You are correct - they are! At least in my case - totally pre-wired - from the utility box that was down a few homes - to my house - to the coax plug in my house where they merely had to plug in the router - no digging, no wire connections required at all from the utility box down the street or inside my home - nothing - it was a great experience! and I used Spectrum (they weren’t even the ones promoted by TV).
Old 05-27-2021, 07:01 AM

Stay away from xfinity!
Closed Thread

Tags
cable/internet, insight, charge, provide, providers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.