Cable in Southern Oaks area

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2019, 08:45 AM
Default Cable in Southern Oaks area

Can anyone tell me if Xfinity is available in this area?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Xfinity is available. I have it in Marsh Bend (new-ish village near Fenny).
Old 07-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:39 AM

We just purchased a home in the 25V section just north of the Cattail Rec Center, closing in a few weeks.

Is either Spectrum or CenturyLink available as alternate Internet providers?

Also, a question for anyone in Marsh Bend area - who takes care of putting connectors on the coax and Cat-5 cables in the low-voltage box in the garage? Are the jacks in some of the rooms for telephone or Ethernet?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-12-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Spectrum is available south of 44....a great alternative to Xfinity and CenturyLink.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
We just purchased a home in the 25V section just north of the Cattail Rec Center, closing in a few weeks.

Is either Spectrum or CenturyLink available as alternate Internet providers?

Also, a question for anyone in Marsh Bend area - who takes care of putting connectors on the coax and Cat-5 cables in the low-voltage box in the garage? Are the jacks in some of the rooms for telephone or Ethernet?

Thanks.

Mike
My experience in a brand new home in Monarch Grove:

Internet or cable provider will put connectors on the coax cables.

Cat5 cables are set up for phones and connected to a block in the low voltage panel.

You could use the Cat5 for Ethernet by putting a switch in the low voltage cabinet and connecting the the other end of one cable to your router.

I used one coax to connect to xFinity modem/router in the main room and use Wi-Fi for just about everything. I did connect my Smart TV via Cat5 to the router.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm a techie (engineering and marketing) that will be moving from Oregon. When we looked at the new construction, I was surprised to see that the work was left like this:

(see attached)

I know how to install connectors, and plan to do something like what you recommend, plus installing a mesh router system as well as a few security cameras.

How are Internet speeds for you with Comcast? I was told only Comcast is currently supporting our new home location.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	low-voltage-box.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	80945  
Old 09-12-2019, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:

I'm a techie (engineering and marketing) that will be moving from Oregon. When we looked at the new construction, I was surprised to see that the work was left like this:

(see attached)

I know how to install connectors, and plan to do something like what you recommend, plus installing a mesh router system as well as a few security cameras.

How are Internet speeds for you with Comcast? I was told only Comcast is currently supporting our new home location.
see post #5 if your house is south of 44

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Sage

That approach will not work with CenturyLink unless you run another cat5 homerun to the low-voltage panel from the room where you put your router. CenturyLink installs an ONT on the outside of your house and then uses a cat5 from the ONT to one of the rooms in your house where you want to install the router (they don't use coax). However, I guess you could consider putting the router in the low-voltage panel and then you would have cat5 homeruns to all of the rooms. I wonder about the Wi-FI strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
My experience in a brand new home in Monarch Grove:

Internet or cable provider will put connectors on the coax cables.

Cat5 cables are set up for phones and connected to a block in the low voltage panel.

You could use the Cat5 for Ethernet by putting a switch in the low voltage cabinet and connecting the the other end of one cable to your router.

I used one coax to connect to xFinity modem/router in the main room and use Wi-Fi for just about everything. I did connect my Smart TV via Cat5 to the router.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:

(see attached)

I have not measured the speeds yet. I am running a Ring security system, two cameras, a Ring doorbell, and a streaming TV at present. No problems so far.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
That approach will not work with CenturyLink unless you run another cat5 homerun to the low-voltage panel from the room where you put your router. CenturyLink installs an ONT on the outside of your house and then uses a cat5 from the ONT to one of the rooms in your house where you want to install the router (they don't use coax). However, I guess you could consider putting the router in the low-voltage panel and then you would have cat5 homeruns to all of the rooms. I wonder about the Wi-FI strength.
I had the same concern about Wi-Fi but have not had any issues so far. I really wanted Spectrum GB service but they swore they had no service in my area. Of course they were wrong but I had already signed up with Xfinity by the time I figured that out,
Old 09-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

During my design meetings last week, they mentioned connection is provided for an access point in the ceiling near the center of the main living area?

https://www.linksys.com/us/r/resourc...-access-point/
Old 09-12-2019, 08:36 PM
Michael Charles

Not sure about Cat5 but we've been in McClure since march 30th we have Comcast xfinity for internet $45 unlimited with 2 of us using tablets plus streaming Amazon or Netflix with no issues. What speed I can't tell you but it hasn't lost the connection yet. We have a dish contract so we're with that for at least 8 more months. 3 times we've lost the signal. The 6 ends in the cable/sprinkler box had connections put on when tech came to the home.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, xfinity, southern, oaks, cable

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.