Cable TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2020, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Home TV & Phone

Currently we have ATT Direct TV and ATT phone as providers. They are growing in
price to the point we will have to drop them and go to a different provider. Would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.? These providers have been raising their prices to the point we are ready to say good bye to them and move on. When they settled with Time Warner they bought HBO. They now charge $17.99 if you want HBO! That is just a small taste of their crawling up the cost ladder. We are serious about going to a new and different provider but want to look at options, Thanks for your help.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Cable TV

What are your recommendations for Cable TV? Currently have Direct TV and it is becoming too expensive to continue.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
What are your recommendations for Cable TV? Currently have Direct TV and it is becoming too expensive to continue.

Spectrum TV & internet is hard to beat.

We did Spectrum TV for years, but last year we started using YouTube TV.

~$50 for internet, ~$50 for YouTube TV.

YouTube TV travels where ever I go, Spectrum TV did not.
Old 02-28-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
You might look into streaming for your cable needs.

With the right comb you can get everything your getting from Cable TV at a fraction to no monthly cost depending on your needs and only cost could be internet.
Netflix, Amazon prime, hulu, ect, have monthly fees that you can eliminate with right set up.

Look into open air antenna for local stations either attic, outside, or small individual units for each TV. You can find alot of info in forums on open air antenna's and streaming options.

I reccommend an Amazon Firestick. Been using for several years and able to travel with you if your a snowbird. Reccommend 50Mbps or higher to eliminate buffering issues.

With a smart TV (but not needed with Firestick), streaming device and open air antenna you do not need Cable.

Read forum posts on cutting the cable and firestick for more info.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

In my opinion, the Roku streaming stick is the best one to use. Also, if you go to the website, "suppose.tv", you can check off all of the channels you want to watch, and the site will list the streaming services that you need, including the prices, to get those channels.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
In my opinion, the Roku streaming stick is the best one to use. Also, if you go to the website, "suppose.tv", you can check off all of the channels you want to watch, and the site will list the streaming services that you need, including the prices, to get those channels.

Agree...........we use Roku on our dumb TV's. Smart TV's we stream directly.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

We have more choices with streaming than we need and all we subscribe to is YouTube TV. They raised their price from $40 To $50 about 8 months ago but added Discovery Go and the History Channel. They just snagged the History Channel and claim they never offered it. I pay for no other subscription and have searched the web for info and can't confirm I'm 100% correct.

I'm sticking with this setup for now because it is Primo! Disappointment is a part of all the services available to us. Time will tell if History was or wasn't included before. I did my checking 2 weeks ago.

Amazon Prime is an excellent addition with many interesting shows.

For the time being Streaming is the way to fly. $53 for Youtube TV all in & $20 for the Comcast Internet Service. It's a beautiful thing.

OOoops almost forgot Netflix. Our son put us on his account and it is unbelievable how much more this adds to the total package.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

We are streaming with Roku due to the cost of Direct TV, this past month they upped our bill by yet another $10 without having the decency to tell us why.

My husband is not a techie so I had to do this all on my onsie. I researched everything available and settled on YouTubeTV and if you go to tv.youtube.com/settings/liveguide you can set up your channel line up to just the channels you want to watch. I then found Pluto (which is FREE) and you can set that up in a similar manner.

Now I have two major streaming channels and we are going to add a couple of personal choices which will cost us a minimal amount each month.

There is a learning curve, but I did it and if I can anyone can! We are saving almost $200 per month at the moment, but this will change next year when prices start to go up. Still cheaper than cable.

If I had a viable choice though, I would opt for a cable streaming program and add ons. There are features in the cable that we miss, or rather my husband misses.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-29-2020, 07:34 AM

Person said they eliminated the cost of Netflix, Hulu, prime....how done?
Old 02-29-2020, 07:36 AM
Veteran member

I live in the northern Villages where there is old wiring and few options. However, I just switched to CenturyLink "bonded" service which is rated at 40 MB and we almost always get at least 35 MB. It's $49 per month after installation. YouTube TV is pretty good for streaming and that's also around $50 per month. 35 MB is more than enough for streaming services. We had Comcast for both and dropped them for the same reason, ever climbing prices.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsan View Post
Person said they eliminated the cost of Netflix, Hulu, prime....how done?
Probably did something illegal.
Old 02-29-2020, 07:51 AM

Been using Roku and subscribe to HULU. Get all the major networks live plus movies and more. Using Centurylink for internet. Price for HULU is $55 and the price for Centurylink is also $55 for 80 mbps. Centurylink now has 100 mbps for $45 for new subscribers for life. Recommend at least 60 mbps for trouble free streaming.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:07 AM

I’m leaving Dish for the same reason. Going to Comcast. Hope their better.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Telephone - buy OOMA on Amazon $79. Set up $75. Monthly charges $5.46 for 911 & tax. Great clarity.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:45 AM
Default We dropped ATT TV and our land line and went with YOU TUBE TV and consumer cell phone

Quote:
Currently we have ATT Direct TV and ATT phone as providers. They are growing in
price to the point we will have to drop them and go to a different provider. Would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.? These providers have been raising their prices to the point we are ready to say good bye to them and move on. When they settled with Time Warner they bought HBO. They now charge $17.99 if you want HBO! That is just a small taste of their crawling up the cost ladder. We are serious about going to a new and different provider but want to look at options, Thanks for your help.
You Tube TV is $55/mo. You get 72 channels including the Orlando local channels. Easy to do, download app, do everything online including setting up the recurring charge to a credit card. They have very good customer service. You do need a fairly good internet speed so we dropped the extremely slow century link and went with Xfinity 60mbs for same price.
We have Consumer Cell for our cell service. For $20/mo, you can get a device that works off your cell service which you connect to your main phone base. Easy to do and works great. We have unlimited everything for $75/mo. For 2 cells and the home phone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.