Can't get a straight answer on landscape design

Closed Thread
Old 11-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe you should have the contractor submit the ARC plan. That is what our contractor does, by default. Just make sure the written proposal indicates that the contractor is responsible for obtaining the ARC approval. The proposal should include, as a minimum, a rough sketch with dimensions on a copy of your lot with the house footprint. This is all the ARC really needs - they are primarily concerned with set backs. If the contractor balks on doing this then keep looking. I try to only have "one throat to choke".

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I agree with the above about getting ARC approval, and based on my own personal experience, DO THIS YOURSELF, do NOT rely on the contractor to do it. Since you have talked to some contractors, make your own sketch. If you line in Sumter county, you can go the Pinellas Plaza (copper topped building), and get a copy of your plot plan, you will need this for the ARC review. You can sketch the proposed location of the stacked walls. As I recall ARC was not concerned about the plants. They are concerned with proximity to build lines, property lines, and any other restrictions on the property, and the cover material.
Once you have ARC approval, you have 6 months to complete the project. Use the ARC document to open discussions with any contractor, and then take notes as to what will be done, what plants installed, and the covering (stone, mulch, pine straw).
As stated before on many threads, DO NOT PAY UP FRONT, if they absolutely requirement payment to cover plats I would not go more than 10% of the total. Make sure you discuss the type of plants, future maintenance (pruning, fertilizing, etc,), write this all down, have the contractor sign it with the cost.
Contact Seniors against Crime and check out the contractor.
NOTE: you will need to revise your irrigation system for the new landscaping. At a minimum, the garden irrigation will need to be revised for the new arrangement. Lawn zones will probably need new heads and adjustments, and possibly removal of some existing sprinkler heads. You make also need to install revised drainage, especially if you have downspouts in the area og the new gardens.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by tuccillo; 11-28-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM

We also used Village Palms. They did the design work, then we went and looked at the design at their nursery. Understandably, they did not give us a copy of the plans until a contract was signed. Like others said, people would take their work and have someone do it cheaper. Village Palms sent the plans to the Villages for approval. Before work began, we called them to make sure it was approved. They did a beautiful job, would highly recommend them.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
We had our landscaping done by Village Palms. We went to their design center on 466 and sat down with a designer who had previously stopped by the house to measure everything.

They use a design system that reads your house plans and then gives you a 3-D picture of your house with all the landscaping you choose to have done.

The landscaping we ended up with was exactly what we saw at their design center.
Same here. We used Jodi at Village Palms and everything turned out great.

Tags
plants, put, outline, price, description

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.