Can't get a straight answer on landscape design

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts
Default Can't get a straight answer on landscape design

We are trying to get prices on having some landscape walls, etc. done in the front. So far I have not found anyone that will put in writing exactly what they are doing, they just say will put it along here and move these plants and add these palms and fill in with these stones. Then they had me a hand drawn topo outline with no description of how high, how many feet, what plants they will use, etc. I hope I'm not expecting too much in seeking someone that would actually draw out what they are going to do for the price they quoted.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We are trying to get prices on having some landscape walls, etc. done in the front. So far I have not found anyone that will put in writing exactly what they are doing, they just say will put it along here and move these plants and add these palms and fill in with these stones. Then they had me a hand drawn topo outline with no description of how high, how many feet, what plants they will use, etc. I hope I'm not expecting too much in seeking someone that would actually draw out what they are going to do for the price they quoted.
Don't give up or lose sight that many skilled plant and wall experts are not computer savvy or have drawing skills. It is very important that you have some references and can go look and talk to folks who have used them before and you can see that the walls are level and secure and well placed. Be careful of adding anything to your landscape. You will have too much quickly. The plants the builder gave you are good ones and hardy ones. The landscapers dug the back ones up for us when we put in the pool and temporarily planted them for a couple of months in the back yard and replanted them and we didn't lose a plant. You can come and see our walls anytime. I would love to meet you.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Gold member
Default Realize what is going on

Quote:
You probably can find someone to do a DESIGN for you AND CHARGE YOU FOR THAT SERVICE.

Someone bidding on such a job, if they do the plan. PEOPLE will often take that plan and look for someone to do it for less-applying no value for the PLAN.

Whatever you do, you want to have the PLAN approved by the architectural committee. You do not want to discover that you are in violation of codes and could well need to have it pulled out AT YOUR EXPENSE.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Sage

vintageogauge, 6 years ago we had the same experience. One owner (highly recommended on this site) told us that he stopped providing what you described. He did so because he would later see a competitor installing exactly what he had designed and quoted in detail to the customer. He got tired of creating "free designs."
Old 11-26-2017, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,237 Posts

I agree with the above about getting ARC approval, and based on my own personal experience, DO THIS YOURSELF, do NOT rely on the contractor to do it. Since you have talked to some contractors, make your own sketch. If you line in Sumter county, you can go the Pinellas Plaza (copper topped building), and get a copy of your plot plan, you will need this for the ARC review. You can sketch the proposed location of the stacked walls. As I recall ARC was not concerned about the plants. They are concerned with proximity to build lines, property lines, and any other restrictions on the property, and the cover material.
Once you have ARC approval, you have 6 months to complete the project. Use the ARC document to open discussions with any contractor, and then take notes as to what will be done, what plants installed, and the covering (stone, mulch, pine straw).
As stated before on many threads, DO NOT PAY UP FRONT, if they absolutely requirement payment to cover plats I would not go more than 10% of the total. Make sure you discuss the type of plants, future maintenance (pruning, fertilizing, etc,), write this all down, have the contractor sign it with the cost.
Contact Seniors against Crime and check out the contractor.
NOTE: you will need to revise your irrigation system for the new landscaping. At a minimum, the garden irrigation will need to be revised for the new arrangement. Lawn zones will probably need new heads and adjustments, and possibly removal of some existing sprinkler heads. You make also need to install revised drainage, especially if you have downspouts in the area og the new gardens.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:10 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
vintageogauge, 6 years ago we had the same experience. One owner (highly recommended on this site) told us that he stopped providing what you described. He did so because he would later see a competitor installing exactly what he had designed and quoted in detail to the customer. He got tired of creating "free designs."
Same for driveways.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Sage

I understand the approval part and I also understand that there wold be a fear of someone else doing a job that a contractor planned out. I am visual, we have looked at lots of home with the stacked walls and each varies in design. I don't know what would look good here and I am at the mercy of a contractor. I would have no problem looking at a set of drawings, signing it and giving it right back to them so they know I can't give it to anyone else and when the job gets started they could then give me a copy. I thought this was going to be an easy process but it has become a PITA. I think I'll call a few more and explain to them that I have to see a drawing and that they don't have to leave it with me, maybe that will work. Thank you for all of your replies and Gracie thank you for the invite, I might just take you up on that.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I am visual.
We had our landscaping done by Village Palms. We went to their design center on 466 and sat down with a designer who had previously stopped by the house to measure everything.

They use a design system that reads your house plans and then gives you a 3-D picture of your house with all the landscaping you choose to have done.

The landscaping we ended up with was exactly what we saw at their design center.
Old 11-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
We had our landscaping done by Village Palms. We went to their design center on 466 and sat down with a designer who had previously stopped by the house to measure everything.

They use a design system that reads your house plans and then gives you a 3-D picture of your house with all the landscaping you choose to have done.

The landscaping we ended up with was exactly what we saw at their design center.
Thank you, that is what I'm looking for.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Dancing Thyme

I am currently working with Jason Schmidt Landscaping and they have provided some of the best quality computer renderings I have ever seen. Their designer Kyle, is very easy to work with. His interpretation of my concept musings was right-on. He lays out exact dimensions, specifies plants, lighting, sprinklers and design details. They start their work on Monday and they are as excited as I am to see the final design. My experience with Village Palms was not good. My sprinklers had to be redone, my lighting didn't work and plants that could not stand the hot summer sun were placed in the wrong place and therefore died. They were very expensive also. JMHO. Good luck.

PS: If you want to come to see the work next week, just PM me and I'll be glad to show you .

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I am currently working with Jason Schmidt Landscaping and they have provided some of the best quality computer renderings I have ever seen. Their designer Kyle, is very easy to work with. His interpretation of my concept musings was right-on. He lays out exact dimensions, specifies plants, lighting, sprinklers and design details. They start their work on Monday and they are as excited as I am to see the final design. My experience with Village Palms was not good. My sprinklers had to be redone, my lighting didn't work and plants that could not stand the hot summer sun were placed in the wrong place and therefore died. They were very expensive also. JMHO. Good luck.

PS: If you want to come to see the work next week, just PM me and I'll be glad to show you .

Thank you, I'll give them a call.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post

We also used Village Palms and had the same wonderful experience. Their 3-D rendering looked exactly as the finished product. More expensive than most but you get what you pay for.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post

Another vote for Jason Schmidt Landscaping. We've had them do two projects for us, and we were very happy with the outcome.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Sage

We had a computer rendering in 2011 when we landscaped. Yes, the installation looked beautiful like the drawing when it was finished, but only for a year or so. The shrubs, although small, were spaced close together and quickly became too large. We've ripped half of it out and I think we probably should start over!
Old 11-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Gold member
Default Suggestion

Quote:
Thank you, I'll give them a call.
You might drive around and make notes of things you LIKE.
You should make notes as to how the sun moves across your property. I the front of you home in the sun or the shade in the morning? I expect you know, but in case you do not, the sun is directly overhead at about 12:00 so everything will be in the sun. You might like a plant but if it doesn't like where you want to put it, it will never do well.

For me, I would look at jobs done a few years ago. How have they aged. Were the plants properly placed, after they have been there for a few years.

As you probably know, our soil is very poor-sandy clay, or clayie sand. You want to improve the soil before you plant.

MOST or perhaps all of the people BIDDING on these jobs plan and charge for a hole and shoving a greenhouse grown plant into it. The suggestion is 50 lbs of organic matter per 100 sq feet Obviously far easier to do before the plants, mulch etc are put in
Closed Thread

Tags
plants, put, outline, price, description

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.