Contractor Alert!!!!! Leesburg Kitchen and Bath

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2020, 09:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Contractor Alert!!!!! Leesburg Kitchen and Bath

We are on a water view golf course lot and had a bay window. We contracted Leesburg Kitchen and Bath to remove the bay and install 2 large windows. We had good reviews about them but something has gone wrong and they are terrible. We also had them redo our bathroom to remove a tub and make the shower walk in. Both jobs are about 60% done and they will not return any calls and have abandoned me.

I have a large hole in the back of my house that I am now acting as the contractor to get the work done. I have had the roof repaired the soffit put up and the window goes in Thursday then stucco, all at my expense over and above what I have paid them.

They tore my house apart and then said they needed more money to put it back together. Like a fool I gave them money from what was held out and he has flown the coop. After paying the plumber, half the tile guy, the roofer and a mason the hold back money is gone and I will be looking at $10,000 to get my house back.

A picture of how he left the back of my house. Two pictures of the bathroom no pocket door and partially installed cabinets with major drywall work, finish electrical and plumbing to do.

Contractor License number CBC1261629 if another company is using this number it is the same people run.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3652 resized.jpg
Views:	3148
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	82735   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3703 resized.jpg
Views:	3102
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	82736   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_3704 resized.jpg
Views:	3114
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	82737  
Old 01-28-2020, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Appears they have a facebook page. On their main page they have dated Jan 25th that their computer files and phones have been infected and they cannot be reached. Sounds like they have a lot of problems. Maybe you could leave your review there, they have 5 good reviews on that page.

Leesburg Kitchen and Bath - Home | Facebook
Old 01-28-2020, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Maybe, Maybe, Maybe. When I see stories like this it make my Blood Boil!

One of the main Rules of The Posters On TOTV'S is don't even think about paying until they are done. EVER! I've had some really nice contractors who I've

been tempted to pay B/4 the job was finished but fought the feeling so I didn't have to hunt them down like the Dirty Mutts they could be. Money is the Great Motivator

in finishing a job.

I feel so sorry for you. You made a mistake. I hope things work out but if I were you I would consult a lawyer.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

Reputable contractors will always perform a job without being paid in advance. If it is a large project, you can always agree to make progress payments, based on the value of work actually completed. But, never ever pay for work that has not been completed. I never pay in advance, and I have had no problem hiring good contractors to do all kinds of work. If they require a payment in advance, I just tell them that we cannot do business and that I will hire another contractor. There is no temptation at all for me.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

We have never done a major project in TV, just some landscaping and replacing bedroom carpeting. We chose well established brick-and-mortar businesses for both. Never any issues.

But — up north we have done a couple of big projects, involving general contractors — one a custom built house, one a major addition. We went under contract and we always got affidavits stating any sub-contractors had been paid in full. I have wondered if affidavits are ever a part of doing business in TV when doing projects involving subs under a general.

OP, I am so sorry you are going through this. Back home, I have always known a lot about whoever we hired. But that is not always easy in TV.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-28-2020 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-28-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
We have never done a major project in TV, just some landscaping and replacing bedroom carpeting. We chose well established brick-and-mortar businesses for both. Never any issues.

But — up north we have done a couple of big projects, involving general contractors — one a custom built house, one a major addition. We went under contract and we always got affidavits stating any sub-contractors had been paid in full. I have wondered if affidavits are ever a part of doing business in TV when doing projects involving subs under a general.

OP, I am so sorry you are going through this. Back home, I have always know a lot about whoever we hired. But that is not always easy in TV.
We have been here 5 years and had some major projects. We used the contractors TV used (T&D for example) since we knew where they lived . Have always given a small deposit (a couple hundred) and have paid additional based on agreed upon completion steps. Have held back 20% as a final payment following acceptance and release of liens documents. Have had no issues on major projects. Smaller projects followed recommendations by our neighbors. Learned a long time ago that lowest bid can be expensive.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-28-2020, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,671 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:

OP, I am so sorry you are going through this. Back home, I have always know a lot about whoever we hired. But that is not always easy in TV.
I agree with the concept of affidavits, but you need to know who the subcontractors are, and the affidavits need to be signed by the subcontractors. It they aren't, a subcontractor can just dispute the affidavit and put a lien on your house.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have been here 5 years and had some major projects. We used the contractors TV used (T&D for example) since we knew where they lived . Have always given a small deposit (a couple hundred) and have paid additional based on agreed upon completion steps. Have held back 20% as a final payment following acceptance and release of liens documents. Have had no issues on major projects. Smaller projects followed recommendations by our neighbors. Learned a long time ago that lowest bid can be expensive.
We are on the same wavelength, JoMar. Yep. “Knowing where they live” is important to me, too. And, you are right about that lowest bid thing. If we think we need to pay a little more, it is seen as the cost of sleep.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

OP, please contact Seniors against crime and file a complaint. Then check to see if any liens have been filed on your house, if so, report these to SAG also. As noted above you can get a attorney but SAG is free, part of the Florida Attorney General, and may get the results you want.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage

? for the OP, was the contractor lowest bid ?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

I understand, they didn't RETURN CALLS but did you actually take the 15 minute drive to their place and see what's up? Did they lock the door when they saw you? Go with a cop in case they throw you out. If it were me, I would have been standing at their front door the first day they didn't show up asking what is going on rather than calling and/or sending email. Maybe you did but I didn't see it written. Sounds like a problem for sure, but really, you must attempt to go there first. Then call Judge Judy.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Appears they have a facebook page. On their main page they have dated Jan 25th that their computer files and phones have been infected and they cannot be reached. Sounds like they have a lot of problems. Maybe you could leave your review there, they have 5 good reviews on that page.

Leesburg Kitchen and Bath - Home | Facebook
Thanks John I will do that and on Next Door also. I saw the good reviews they say how nice they are and how could anyone say anything bad about them. They are nice except a bad contractor that doesn't mind taking your money.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I understand, they didn't RETURN CALLS but did you actually take the 15 minute drive to their place and see what's up? Did they lock the door when they saw you? Go with a cop in case they throw you out. If it were me, I would have been standing at their front door the first day they didn't show up asking what is going on rather than calling and/or sending email. Maybe you did but I didn't see it written. Sounds like a problem for sure, but really, you must attempt to go there first. Then call Judge Judy.
Yes they have moved and I have talked to him the list of things he says are the problem is very long. Basically he said he has no money to finish my job. He says he paid subs and then they show up unpaid. He didn't pay the bill for the window so I had to and within a week I have the window in. This went on for 2 months I have given up on him and in 2 weeks have a window, roof, bathroom electrical, stucco, and yard clean up done. All it took was getting reliable workers and paying them.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
? for the OP, was the contractor lowest bid ?
Unfortunately yes he was. He had good reviews and a recommendation from a friend.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Maybe, Maybe, Maybe. When I see stories like this it make my Blood Boil!

One of the main Rules of The Posters On TOTV'S is don't even think about paying until they are done. EVER! I've had some really nice contractors who I've

been tempted to pay B/4 the job was finished but fought the feeling so I didn't have to hunt them down like the Dirty Mutts they could be. Money is the Great Motivator

in finishing a job.

I feel so sorry for you. You made a mistake. I hope things work out but if I were you I would consult a lawyer.
I agree with what you say but after 2 months of looking at a plywood wall broke down and gave him 1/2 of the reserve to get the window in. When he discovered that the money left would not pay the bills he bailed. The money I had left paid the plumber, the roofer, the mason and the soffit. Work went much faster when I was scheduling it and paying the guys doing the work.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, house, money, contractor, kitchen

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.