Need a lawyers to have our wills, POA and living wills redone for Florida

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts
Default Need a lawyers to have our wills, POA and living wills redone for Florida

Now that we have moved here we need to have our wills, POA and living wills redone for Florida. I know I could keep them as they are buy our PA attorney suggested I have them redone and filed in FL to prevent aggravation for the executors (kids). Anyone know good lawyers we can use?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Default Lawyer

I would highly recommend Amy Reed Pittman. She was recommended to us when she was part of a larger law firm and we were very pleased with her. She now is on her own and I just had a small request yesterday that was handled efficiently. I am a person who is very concerned about getting things done correctly and the wills, power of attorneys etc. that we had completed by Amy were perfect.

Amy Reed Pittman
270 Campbell Ave. Suite 4
The Villages, FL 32162
(352) 753-4430
Old 10-24-2014, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Michael Millhorn Law firm very good, reasonable and convenient.
They did all our converting of wills, estate planning and living wills to be in concert with FL laws.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Sage

Thanks for taking the time to respond......very helpful.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Sage

Here's a suggestion : Hit the "Search" button above and type in "Wills and Trusts." You'll see several threads about and recommendations for local estate attorneys.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:28 PM

I just moved down here and before I left I had a lot of reasons to get a lawyer, wills, etc. Who I used was Legal.com, unbelievable they run over everything you need on phone their are lawyers that represent you, you can call whenever you want, to add or remove as many times as you want, Since I used them two of my very close friends up north are represented by them. I would just check them out, I guarantee you you'll never drive around back and forth and making appointments with a lawyer again, any problems or questions I get on the phone and it's resolved.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:30 PM

I'm sorry the site is legalzoom.com
Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Now that we have moved here we need to have our wills, POA and living wills redone for Florida. I know I could keep them as they are buy our PA attorney suggested I have them redone and filed in FL to prevent aggravation for the executors (kids). Anyone know good lawyers we can use?
Call; Amy Reid Pittman LLD Very competent also an active Rotarian
Old 10-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Look in Martindale Hubbell to find an AV rated estate attorney. Then request a free 20 minute consultation to see if you like him/her.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-25-2014, 08:08 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Just out of curiosity, what makes the state of Florida different in the fact it can void a will written in a mother state? The only reason I ask is because after living in other states and being former military I've heard this before with the exception of divorces and etc.?
Old 10-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Generally your out of state documents are ok. But there are some differences in FL laws that could be important to you. Personal rep may not qualify if not a FL resident or in your bloodline.
Best to do what you are doing, look for a FL "elder" attorney.
Look at Gerald R Colen Florida Elder law, Asset Protection, Estate Planning Attorney. He meets clients in Ocala.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what makes the state of Florida different in the fact it can void a will written in a mother state? The only reason I ask is because after living in other states and being former military I've heard this before with the exception of divorces and etc.?
According to the attorney I had up north it isn't about their voiding anything, technically the Constitution gives full faith and credit to the laws of other states but in practice difficulties and delays in using them would probably occur. Since POA's and Living Wills would probably be used in FL it's best to have them written here. Our Wills and how to deal with them would be an issue for our kids since they are executors and at this point I want that to be easy for then.....of course that can change if they really tick us off at some point...lol. Anyway, that's why I posted looking for help

Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 AM
Sage

Michael Milhorn, 352.753.9333

I found it best to have my will updated, so I went to Milhorn Law Firm.

Very thorough and professional.

I set-up a "trust" so that real estate will not have to go through probate. Power of Attorney, that includes my son having the right to make medical decisions, if I become unresponsive or incapacitated.

We all may have different needs depending on our situations. I just like to have things done right, so as to leave no ambiguity, in the future.

A guy I used to work with had no will. He informed me that he would leave everything to his wife upon his death. I mentioned to him, if he ever consider what would happen, if he and his wife were killed simultaneously, in a car accident and his estate, that he would want his son to have. I further asked if he wanted his estate to be tied up with the courts, for many months. He said, "I never thought of that possibility. DUH!!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-26-2014, 11:51 AM
Gold member

Great information.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:11 PM

We used Millhorn Law, and they did a great job. Trust, Wills, Power of Attorney, all medical docs ... and we thought were very reasonably priced. No charge for initial consultation.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.