Cast your roofing vote, please

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2020, 09:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Cast your roofing vote, please

We are (hopefully) coming to the end of our search for a contractor to replace our roof

We have two good quotes: McHale & McGinnis (and we do not want to go out for more quotes)

If you have used either I should be grateful if you would reply here saying whether or not you were happy with their work

Thank you
Old 08-25-2020, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Never heard of either one or saw their trucks around here
Old 08-25-2020, 10:26 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
We are (hopefully) coming to the end of our search for a contractor to replace our roof

We have two good quotes: McHale & McGinnis (and we do not want to go out for more quotes)

If you have used either I should be grateful if you would reply here saying whether or not you were happy with their work

Thank you
McHale Roofing has an excellent reputation. I hope this helps Len
Old 08-25-2020, 10:47 AM

McGinnis replaced my roof in December. They showed up at first light, and had completed the work and clean up by 3:00. I'm very pleased with the quality of their work not to mention their speed and efficiency. Neighbors who used other companies had workers on their roofs for two days, and several had to have them return to fix mistakes.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=Arctic Fox;1822557]We are (hopefully) coming to the end of our search for a contractor to replace our roof

Before you make your selection, INFORM (arm) yourself with some really intelligent questions, and then listen CAREFULLY for any "dodges" (excuses about why they don't do this or that, in other words, political double speak). Here are a couple examples, but don't go by these, talk to someone with "no horse in the race" and make sure you understand skills and TECHNIQUES. Many in our community are more concerned with how FAST they complete a job, but not concerned at all about which NAIL strips they use (6 to a foot, 10, 12 ? This makes a HUGE difference, but most will tell you what they use is "more than sufficient"... of course they will not be here when we get a major storm). Find someone to explain to you (not someone in the business right now) how a proper valley is done, and how a contractor can save money when doing a job). Yes, it's an extra step, but it's worth the time because to do the research, and a skilled RETIRED roofer can tell you all the ways a customer can be convinced to accept a "down and dirty" (in and out) job. A trip to a QUALITY
contractor's office to have them show you the various kinds of nail strips, how close or far from each they can be placed, how the drains and valleys can be done and how they SHOULD be done, will make you a wise consumer ! Also remember, the "crew" that did the house down the street, may, or may not, be the same crew that will do yours. Roofers are well aware of how to "get it done", and are often under great pressure as time IS money and materials DO make a difference.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

McGinnis
Old 08-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
We are coming to the end of our search for a contractor to replace our roof. We have two good quotes: McHale & McGinnis. If you have used either I should be grateful if you would reply here saying whether or not you were happy with their work. Thank you

Currently two for McGinnis; one for McHale.

Any final votes?
Old 08-26-2020, 06:16 AM

I vote for neither. I received a quote from McHale to do my roof. It was about $1000 higher than several others. If you have not received a quote from Scott Smith Roofing, you're doing yourself a disservice.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:31 AM

Sack Roofing did an architectural shingle roof for an excellent price, a local company in Lady Lake to support.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:03 AM

"nail strips"? What are you talking about? Some of your advice is comical. I've been in the roofing business in Central Florida for 42 years.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:07 AM

Matt McHale runs a tight ship. Very pro operation. You can walk in their office downtown Fruitland Park, unannounced, and form your own opinion.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:10 AM

How many years have you been there 2 have to replace your roof already?
Old 08-26-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Thank you
McGinnis did my roof. Couldn’t be happier!
Old 08-26-2020, 07:45 AM
Platinum member

McHale did mine. Came in UNDER the Insurance estimate. On time, one day but make sure they sweep the roof, gutters and property (especially your driveway) for extra nails. Ask if they do a magnetic sweep for nails.
Nathan is the estimator. No high pressure. All roofers are very busy now. It'll be a while before they get to you.

Skip
Old 08-26-2020, 08:00 AM

In the past on 3 other houses in different locations, I always went to the site of the company making the shingles, whether it be Owens Corning, GAF, Certain Teed, etc. Find the Top rated authorized installers in your area from their website. Those are the ones I've called for estimates. Also check into where they get their shingles, like Ro Mac. Ask them for names of installers they'd recommend.
Closed Thread

Tags
quotes, grateful, reply, work, happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.