Ceiling Fan Repair

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Default Ceiling Fan Repair

We have a ceiling fan that has slowed down and only goes on one speed. It is probably the capacitor.
Just wondering if anyone knows who can fix this at a reasonable cost.
Thank you.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
We have a ceiling fan that has slowed down and only goes on one speed. It is probably the capacitor.
Just wondering if anyone knows who can fix this at a reasonable cost.
Thank you.
It is a very simple repair, and certainly something you can tackle on your own. If you’re not familiar with the process, search YouTube, and you’ll see how simple it is. I’ve replaced a dozen or so, and get the replacements from Amazon
Old 05-23-2020, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I agree with above, here is some additional info. First, turn of the circuit breaker. If you have a light kit, there will be 3 or 4 screws holding it in place if you remove these you will see the capacitor. depending on the make of the fan these can have 3 to 5 wires. You need to get a matching unit, search on the fan manufacturer and capacitor. If you do not have alight kit, same procedure, but there will just be a cover plate at the bottom of the fan. Search Amazon or Google for your fan manufacturer and capacitor, and check the pictures. If you do not have the capability to install the new capacitor, send me a PM with your phone number, I can help you.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:04 PM

Hi. Sounds like you know about ceiling fans. The one in my bedroom is making clicking sounds. Can you repair this? I will pay. Jack Leon 850-461-5235; jaleon68@hotmail.com thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarobar View Post
Hi. Sounds like you know about ceiling fans. The one in my bedroom is making clicking sounds. Can you repair this? I will pay. Jack Leon 850-461-5235; jaleon68@hotmail.com thanks!
Jack, I had the same problem. I found excessive wear at the top of the rod where it hangs from the ceiling. I took 2 strips of felt (1/2 inch by 1.5 inches) and glued these into the black housing so that there was no longer a metal to metal contact and the noise has been gone for several months. This was after 2 months of attempts to balance the fan, moving the blades, etc. I tried calling, but you were not home, will try again later.

Tags
ceiling, fan, cost, reasonable, fix

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.