Is there a local company that scans/restores family photos?

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2017, 09:44 AM
Default Is there a local company that scans/restores family photos?

Before I moved from Georgia, I started to work with a company that scans/restores old family pictures and puts them on discs. My move to Florida interrupted that plan and I'm now searching for a reputable, reasonably priced company that I can trust with these priceless family photos. If anyone knows of a company near The Villages, or within a short drive, please message me. I have thousands of pictures and family movies that cover close to a hundred years (and no I'm not that old). I would love to be able to get these pictures on discs to pass on to my Sons and Family Members. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM
Veteran member

In the past I have used online services to scan photos. Scandigital and Scancafe ScanCafe - Photo Scanning, Negative Scanning, Slide Scanning, Video Transfer, Photo Restoration and ScanDigital | Photo Scanning, VHS to DVD, 8mm Conversion and More! and was very satisfied with the results.

In my case I was having them scan negatives and slides not actual photographs, both do just about all media.

I think most photo processing places in the area will do scanning, like Walmart and Walgreens.

The thing to worry about no matter who you use is that they may loose your photos. Even if the place is local then may ship out your photos to somewhere else to do the actual scanning and in the process loose control of the photos.

Also many places will ship the photos/slides etc. overseas to Asia to the scanning, especially if the images need some cleanup (for dust and smudges). The bigger places often have tight control over any images that they send elsewhere for processing.

You might not notice dust and smudges on a physical photo, but on a scanned image the seem to get more noticeable if the photo/slide is not properly prepared before it is scanned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navstar07 View Post
Before I moved from Georgia, I started to work with a company that scans/restores old family pictures and puts them on discs. My move to Florida interrupted that plan and I'm now searching for a reputable, reasonably priced company that I can trust with these priceless family photos. If anyone knows of a company near The Villages, or within a short drive, please message me. I have thousands of pictures and family movies that cover close to a hundred years (and no I'm not that old). I would love to be able to get these pictures on discs to pass on to my Sons and Family Members. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

I had these folks transfer Super 8 to disk and was pleased with their work. They are located in Belleview.
Video Vault Productions
Old 01-23-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

You may wish to see if your printer has a scan feature. You can scan all of them yourself using the highest resolution on the scanner. You then can copy them onto a disc or store on your hard drive, or in the cloud. That way the originals are never out of your hands. If you don't have a scanner, you can get a reasonably good one for under 100. It is the ink that is costly if you wanted to print a lot of copies. It is less expensive to order prints, from your scanned files even, than to print them yourself.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Sage
Default photos

Hubby did ours a couple of years ago. We used our guest room bed and layed out the photos, organized them, threw out all photos of landscapes, cruise photos, kept only the really meaningful photos. Once you start eliminating the ones that don't really matter and duplicates you will find the project to be much more manageable. We scanned them all onto thumb drives not CD's. CD's will not be around forever. We put one copy in our safe, I uploaded one to our computer on the cloud so we can look at anytime we want. We uploaded a set to Flickr so the entire family has access to them. We gave a copy to our son.
Closed Thread

Tags
family, company, pictures, scans/restores, photos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.