Century Link Prism TV available in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Gold member
Default Century Link Prism TV available in The Villages

Does anyone have the new Century Link prism TV. If so tell me what you think.

On Wednesday I received a call from Century Link offering their new prism TV package. I told the lady that I wasn't interested in anything that had a dish outside my home. She said that this is not dish I said now you have my attention.

It sounded real good and I went to the Century Link office at 684 US Hwy 441North by Target to take a look. The guy I talked to was very knowledgeable much more that anyone I have ever talked to at Comcast. He knew his product very well and presented it very simple.

Well good by Comcast and I am set up for the new package from Century Link. I even got a $100.00 American Express gift card for switching over. Their package seems to offer more that Comcast for less money. With the DVR you can watch it on any TV in the house and can record 4 shows at the same time with 233 hours of HD recording space. They offer many more things than I was getting from Comcast.

They are going to install it on Monday the 13th. I hope I have made the correct choice.

A link to their website showing this product is below. When you go to this link click on the Orlando area for local packages.

http://www.centurylink.com/Pages/Per...yTvMarket.html
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

We signed up for it after having DirectTV for maybe 15 years (and we liked that). We're still getting used to it but I like it...I think my other half does as well. It's going to save us some cash as well. One thing for sure...when we do have the occassional weather we won't have any interruption! We've had it for a couple of weeks or so now and it's working just fine. Oh...the "caller ID wasn't coming up on our screen so a call was made and we had technician's out pretty promptly and all was fixed.

So...hoping you too enjoy it!!
Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 PM

Keep us posted on your new service. Love the idea of only one DVR...
Thanks for sharing this with us.
How was the pricing compared to Comcast. Did you also get the internet?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarbuckSammy View Post
Keep us posted on your new service. Love the idea of only one DVR...
Thanks for sharing this with us.
How was the pricing compared to Comcast. Did you also get the internet?
I will be saving about $40.00 (monthly) over what I was spending for TV (Comcast) phone and internet which I am upgrading to a faster speed. The phone and internet I already had with Century Link.

It appears that I am getting more bang for my cheaper buck.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Will be interested in hearing more about it after you have it installed and running.

Have some questions already. Does it use a DSL. How does the 3Mgb Internet service compare to Comcast's?

Will you be able to stream movies from Netflix?

I briefly looked at their channel line up and did not see Fox Business news and only listed a single Encore Channel, whereas Comcast provides several Encore Channels,and that's important for my wife who loves to watch movies. On Encore, Indie, Sundance etc.

Last big question, I wonder if this service available in all parts of the Villages?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Will be interested in hearing more about it after you have it installed and running.

Have some questions already. Does it use a DSL. How does the 3Mgb Internet service compare to Comcast's?

Will you be able to stream movies from Netflix?

I briefly looked at their channel line up and did not see Fox Business news and only listed a single Encore Channel, whereas Comcast provides several Encore Channels,and that's important for my wife who loves to watch movies. On Encore, Indie, Sundance etc.

Last big question, I wonder if this service available in all parts of the Villages?

Can't answer your questions perhaps you should give them a call at 866.318.8692 or local office is 352.430.2255
Old 06-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran member

My spouse is "frugal" so I'd say the cost is good! I can't tell you how much though I'm sure I was told. We bundled with Internet and have a land-line though not long-distance through it (because we have cells). At our house we're always looking for ways to "save a buck"!!!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

It seems similar to Verizon Fios that we have here in Maryland. If you're a fan of HD like myself, it seems to be a compromise between Comcast and Directv. I counted about 65 HD channels on the Prism lineup, compare that to Comcast's about 50 HD channels and with Directv I get about 110.

On the premium channels it's about the same number of HD channels on HBO & Cinemax, I believe it was 6 HD and 4 HD. However, on Showtime and Starz they are lacking, Directv has 10 HD Showtime and 8 HD Starz channels where Prism only has 2 each. That's where Comcast is a joke only giving you 1 HD channel on each premium service.

I also noticed that after the first 3 months you have to add $11.99 a month for HD service, even on the best package. With Century Link you can still bundle Directv with the internet, landline and Verizon cellphone. So I'll have to check that all out when I move there in July.

Where
Old 06-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Is this available everywhere in TV? I just tried the order button on the link you provided to see where it would take me and when I provided my zip code it said it wasn't yet available in our area. We are in Buttonwood but the zip code 32162 I think covers south of 466.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 AM
KittyKat
Thumbs up

Oh, boy. I just ordered Comcast Triple Play, to be installed 6/12. Promotion is $99/month + $16/m for DVR + $7/m for something else + $50 installation fee + $29.95 activation fee; free HBO x 3 months. They use broadband and only have 80 channels. I already have 3.0 DSL & phone with CenturyLink, wonder why they haven't called me? Thanks for the link Indy-Guy. Their triple-play with 3.0 is $104.95 x 6 months (a savings of $20/m); free DVR service; 190 channels (w/3.0 pkg). I don't have an HD TV so don't need that expense. Right now my phone/internet is $90 & my DIRECTV is $90 for Choice Extra so I'm looking to save some bucks. I tried 32162 & 32159 and it said no service yet in our area but it lists the 441 address as a contact so Indy-Guy, it looks like I'll be heading over there on Monday.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:16 AM

sounds like this is like at&t 's uverse service not like vios which is fiber to the prem. this product is fiber to a node then copper feed to the prem .know this product for i place this for at&t in ct as a lineman for at&t .works pretty good .
Old 06-05-2011, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
Oh, boy. I just ordered Comcast Triple Play, to be installed 6/12. Promotion is $99/month + $16/m for DVR + $7/m for something else + $50 installation fee + $29.95 activation fee; free HBO x 3 months. They use broadband and only have 80 channels. I already have 3.0 DSL & phone with CenturyLink, wonder why they haven't called me? Thanks for the link Indy-Guy. Their triple-play with 3.0 is $104.95 x 6 months (a savings of $20/m); free DVR service; 190 channels (w/3.0 pkg). I don't have an HD TV so don't need that expense. Right now my phone/internet is $90 & my DIRECTV is $90 for Choice Extra so I'm looking to save some bucks. I tried 32162 & 32159 and it said no service yet in our area but it lists the 441 address as a contact so Indy-Guy, it looks like I'll be heading over there on Monday.
I live in the village of Poinciana near Cane Garden with a zip of 32162. Installation is scheduled for Monday June 13th will let you know how it is working.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

I have used Direct TV and Comcast for phone/internet/cable packages. They offer a great rate to sign up but it's only for 6 months. When you call to complain, they give you a better or same rate for the next six months but you can only do that a few times.

I initially had Comcast; rates were great, a year later they hiked over $20 more per month. I swtiched over to Direct TV; you need to sign a two year contract that comes with a high penalty if you cancel earlier. My bill just went up $15, teaser rate expired so I'm locked in for another year.

Do you have to sign a contract with Century Link - I suspect the great rates were just a sign on bonus and not a firm rate that just goes up with inflation.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm a little confused. Centurylink Prism is being advertised as a fiber optic service.

All our cables are underground and pulled in prior to the commencement of construction in a particular area. As far as I know we have copper wires feeding all our utilities and communiction services with the obvious exception of Satellite TV.

So my question is "when did CenturyLink install fiber optic cable underground in The Villages?" If there is no fiber optic cable on your property to be hooked up to your HDTV, then you won't be getting what you think you're getting. Only fiber optic cable can deliver the highest quality HD picture when compared to copper cable, either telephone cable or coax cable TV. They may advertise Prism as being fiber optic, but, if the final hookup to your house is copper, then the signal will be downgraded from what it would be with total fiber optic. Except for a few extra channels, there won't be much difference between that and Comcast.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Home ball you are right .the only reason at&t uverse sells is it's 15 to 30 $ a month less than the cable companys here in ct. 1 dvr for the whole house and more channels. Speeds a little faster , but the main reason here is monthly cost. Ski
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.