Century Link vs. Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM
Default Century Link vs. Comcast

We are looking into the possibility of switching from Comcast (bundled service) to Century Link. We were provided information from a Century Link rep about the advantages of CL over Comcast. We are in a fiber optics area, (Buttonwood) and would appreciate any input from anyone who has switched services.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:22 PM

We switched from Comcast to Centurylink about a month ago and love it! Great service!
Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Have CenturyLink and love it EXCEPT....frequent freezing (every other day) but wait 10 minutes and it'll come back. Irritating when I'm on the internet though.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 PM

We switched from Comcast to Century Link last week - love it - we are getting a lot more for a lot less $$. We have phone, internet & TV.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
Have CenturyLink and love it EXCEPT....frequent freezing (every other day) but wait 10 minutes and it'll come back. Irritating when I'm on the internet though.
does the tv and internet freeze?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
does the tv and internet freeze?
Yes. You can reboot the system by unplugging it or wait.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycenemetz View Post
We switched from Comcast to Century Link last week - love it - we are getting a lot more for a lot less $$. We have phone, internet & TV.
Do you know if it available in st Charles, is the TV portion Direct TV with a dish? Is your bundled price for for a year or two or is it a standard rate? Comcast service is fine but very expensive.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Default Century Link

We have Comcast and were ready to switch to Century Link because their bundle was cheaper and they had some good added features. However, when the tech arrived we found out we could have HD on only one TV at a time. So we cancelled and stayed with Comcast. Century Link can only support one HD TV at a time in some neighborhoods so check if that feature is important to you.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran member

Our Centurylink will support 2 HD's either viewing or recording. I usually record in standard if hubby and I are watching different HD shows.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

We had Comcast before we became full-time, switched to Century Link for about 8 months (but I'm not convinced we had true fiber optic service, we're in Poinciana), then due to the frequent freezing, and I mean a couple of times a day, we went back to Comcast. Each service has some advantages, but overall Comcast is working better for us. YMMV
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Platinum member
Default Comcast VS Century Link

Can't tell you about Comcast but we've had Century Link Prism for about a year and saved around $60 a month. We ordered it because our neighbor 2 houses away recommended it. He was satisfied until screen freeze occurred within a month. After NUMEROUS trouble shooting attempts he had it removed and went back to Direct TV and wouldn't you know it they treated him like a new customer and gave him a much better deal than he was previously receiving. What a racket.

We can watch 2 tv's on HD w/o issue...however if you're recording another HD channel while you're watching 2 other HD tv's you can forget it. Most of the time now I record the same show that is on a non HD channel.

When screen freeze happens, I unplug the control box for about a minute & plug it back in. Fixed!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Wow, I'm surprised that the Century Link customers think unplugging/plugging to fix the freeze is acceptable. We have friends who recently purchased a home in Sanibel and went with Century Link. They have 4 TV's. We have 5 TV's with Comcast. Cost is approximately the same after the initial special promotion from Century Link. They have a TV box for each set. We have small digital converters that are hidden on each TV. We also have our TV's mounted on the wall, so the extra Century Link box is not an option for us. Comcast service has been steady and reliable, and I don't think there is much "savings" between the two.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:56 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16 1UB View Post
.............. After NUMEROUS trouble shooting attempts he had it removed and went back to Direct TV and wouldn't you know it they treated him like a new customer and gave him a much better deal than he was previously receiving. What a racket...............
Interesting. We have Direct TV. We inquired about the promotions for new customers, and were told that we would have to drop it for two years before they would treat us as new. Probably BS to keep us from cancelling the service.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM

We've lost our Comcast telephone six times in three months. They just can't seem to get it working correctly. Thought about switching to Century Link but the Rep told us
they don't service our area (for TV-Phone-Internet). We're in St. James. Does anyone
have a Century Link bundle in our area ??
Old 07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I switched from Century Link to ComCast and love comcast
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.