Century Link vs. Comcast

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Question to all Century Link users, When your system freezes, does everything freeze (internet, TV and phone)?

How would you rate their response time to address the problem?

We have Comcast and have been satisfied with the service (TV and Internet only). We had 1-2 issues with Comcast over 3 years of service where I had to unplug the router to re-boot the internet, but reading some of the previous posts where you have to unplug the routers on a regular basis is totally unacceptable to me.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
Default Don't go to century link's prism!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
We are looking into the possibility of switching from Comcast (bundled service) to Century Link. We were provided information from a Century Link rep about the advantages of CL over Comcast. We are in a fiber optics area, (Buttonwood) and would appreciate any input from anyone who has switched services.
Our hi-def stations freeze, our TV news clips on the internet freeze, and we have tried to get service since we have had the system which is about as long as they have been in The Villages. They obviously cannot fix the problem and offer no alternative solution to the problem. Consequently we are switching providers.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:59 PM

We have Prism. Switched from Comcast. Bundled Internet without having to have a phone. Not much freezing, occaisional skip or partial pixellization. Usually associated with a storm. Like the dvr way better plus accessible on all tvs. Glad we made the switch.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Default Century Link NO WAY

Quote:
We are looking into the possibility of switching from Comcast (bundled service) to Century Link. We were provided information from a Century Link rep about the advantages of CL over Comcast. We are in a fiber optics area, (Buttonwood) and would appreciate any input from anyone who has switched services.
I haven't been happy with Century Link. Couldn't recommend them!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:02 PM

I'm in Sabal Chase and switched from Comcast to Centurylink over a year ago. The two services are becoming comparable. My only complaint now about Centurylink is the lack of HD On Demand movies and shows for the premium stations for which I'm already paying (i.e., HBO, Showtime). Also, Comcast's phone service is VOIP, so if the internet goes down, so does the phone line. The problems new customers are having are probably due to the new installations into areas not previously serviced by Centurylink. I had similar issues the first 6 months or so, too, but none in quite a while. And I'm paying about $30/month less than with Comcast.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM

Centurylink has been a nemesis in my life since I arrived in the Villages. I had them in Ohio and was only moderately satisfied, here it has gotten worse and worse. My modem is broken, they sent a tech out. He checked connectivity from the outside, was many hours late arriving and did nothing to the modem, which could have easily been replaced. I spent hours on the phone this morning as well as the computer to no avail at which time I advised them that we were about to have a divorce. I signed up for Excede Internet, they install on Thur AM, so hopefully I will have eliminated all of the hassle. I am expecting fiber from source to connection point, so should be fine...
Old 04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,296 Times in 534 Posts

Just talk to Comcast this morning---@&(@&. Need I say more. My bill has gone up 50% in a year with no addition to my service. When I came off vacation they raised my rates and just raised them again for the sports package. I am currently looking for a new service. Maybe Brighthouse?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Default Century Link Freezing

We have had Century Link for 6 months and have experienced freezing a lot more often with the programs we are watching.....WHY??????????????
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirart View Post
We have had Century Link for 6 months and have experienced freezing a lot more often with the programs we are watching.....WHY??????????????
I have just internet through CenturyLink, but can tell from connection delays and 'refusals' that there is freezing on that too. They clearly have serious problems (which are getting worse over time) and need to upgrade their delivery network.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:27 PM

We are moving to TV in less than 3 weeks (YAY!!) and I'm starting to set up utilities, etc. I have not heard great things about Comcast, either there or elsewhere, so I would prefer not to use them. We will be renting for a year, so putting a dish on the house is not an option. We will be using the phone quite a bit, so I'm considering a Centurylink bundle with TV, internet and phone.

Do the freezing problems that have been reported on this thread still continue to happen?

Thanks. We can't wait to get away from the cold New England weather.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Had it in SW Florida and carried it with us here. No issues at all down there, a few weeks of the freezing thing here when we first got it. Now, no issues! Love it, less expensive, no losing picture in thunderstorms...big issue in summer in SW FL.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

First time I've ever heard anything good about Century Link's customer service. I believe it to be far worst than Comcast and that isn't saying much for Comcast either. I now have Dish and love it. still looking for an internet provider as century link is slow and again, their service stinks.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Thumbs down Comcast

I recently had Comcast discontinue my phone service and remove a DVR in Swimdawg South. It took the serviceman 2 1/2 hours for something Time-Warner could have done in 15 minutes at Swimdawg North. I called Comcast the night before to confirm my appointment. After being on hold for 44 minutes, I had to leave. It is soooo frustrating dealing with Comcast.

My next door neighbors at Swimdawg South have Century Link. He likes it; she doesn't.

TV needs Time-Warner.....and Wegman's.....and how can I resist?.....an INDOOR pool! I couldn't help it!

(My name is Karen)
Old 01-17-2014, 04:45 PM

Century Link and Comcast....personally I feel that they are both inadequate. Seems like they have a monopoly in The Villages. Prices compared to where I am from (upstate NY) are absolutely ludicrous. For the size of The Villages, the villagers should have more selection available to them. Comcast....expect an increase at least once, if not twice a year. Good Luck!
Old 01-17-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
WE have not switched services from Comcast, since those who did in our area have now either switched back to Comcast or over to Direct TV, since the HD picture on Prism/Century Link was so bad. FYI!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.