CenturyLink Internet only Taxes & Fees ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Default CenturyLink Internet only Taxes & Fees ?

Considering CentryLink's Price for Life Internet only service. Could anyone out there that has Internet only from CenturyLink tell me what taxes and fees are? Internet only - no phone & no TV. Thanks
Old 01-10-2018, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Since Florida has no state income tax, they make their money with fees like when you got your drivers license or rent a motel room. I have Century Link but it's a phone unlimited long distance and internet 10 mpbs for $59.99 a month, with taxes it's just under $81. I've had that same rate since July 2011, they've never tried to raise my price so I left it alone. I can stream videos and Netflix without any problems, so I'm OK with it. Only had 1 down time in 6-1/2 years, that was the battery had died in the backup system in the garage. They came last month and removed the battery, it seemed to be happening to a lot of people. You would think why would the internet go down when you're not even using the backup battery.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

I pay $42 and change per month for internet only, 40 MPS service. Works great, no problems other than one failure due to a critter chewing the fiber optic cable in the box. They fixed it same day I called.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Considering CentryLink's Price for Life Internet only service. Could anyone out there that has Internet only from CenturyLink tell me what taxes and fees are? Internet only - no phone & no TV. Thanks
The price for Internet only is $45, period. If there are any taxes and fees they are not passing it on to the consumer.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

$36.07 All in, just internet. I live in the Hysterical section of The Villages so we do demand a lot. Happy so far after about a year and a half. We have been thru the mill problem wise with Comcast and Verizon Internet in NJ. I Highly Recommend CenturyLink for Internet service, I hope your experience is even better than ours. Good Luck.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:21 PM
Sage

Century Link internet only, 40 megabits per sec download/20 megabits per sec upload, is as follows:

$31.88 Service
$4.05 Taxes and Fees
=======
$35.93 Total

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post

Last edited by biker1; 01-11-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Question

Considering changing from Comcast Internet to Century Link At $45 per month for life. Has anyone regretted going to Century Link? Currently have AT&T for all other needs along with Direct TV.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I've also have Directv, since 2008. I wouldn't try and bundle, it only saves $5 a month. I get a bill from Directv and a bill from Centurylink. I prefer negotiating with Directv whenever I need a price drop or NFL Sunday Ticket reduced, etc. Once they called about three years ago and said would you like to bundle Directv and CL and I said yes, it never did happen. Rather than inquire, I figured don't fix it if it ain't broke and left it like it was.

As I mention above, I've only had one outage with Centurylink, so I don't regret being with them. Once they called 3 months in a row and asked if I wanted Prism TV and everytime I said, no and put me on the do not call list. After the third time, I said your a nuisance and I want call block added to my phone for free, and CL did.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the responses, Gregg
Old 01-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Question Suggestions

I have a question as to a recommendation regarding the options for a Internet purchase. I have been told by Comcast (Current Provider) that my rental will go up to $65 in May and if don't accept the increase in my rate then it will go from $49 to $80. They said for the additional $15 they will give me about 15 channels which I don't need as I have them all with my Direct TV. I then checked with Century Link and they will give me the Internet for $45 with never increasing the rate. Simple business question..If you have Comcast or Century Link what does your experience say to do. One last consideration Comcast says they deliver 100 Data rate vs Century Link at 25. Century asserts the 100 from Comcast is shared among many homes so the actual rate is how many are on their systems. Ceuntry Link say their 25 is only for the home and is not shared
Old 01-12-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I have a question as to a recommendation regarding the options for a Internet purchase. I have been told by Comcast (Current Provider) that my rental will go up to $65 in May and if don't accept the increase in my rate then it will go from $49 to $80. They said for the additional $15 they will give me about 15 channels which I don't need as I have them all with my Direct TV. I then checked with Century Link and they will give me the Internet for $45 with never increasing the rate. Simple business question..If you have Comcast or Century Link what does your experience say to do. One last consideration Comcast says they deliver 100 Data rate vs Century Link at 25. Century asserts the 100 from Comcast is shared among many homes so the actual rate is how many are on their systems. Ceuntry Link say their 25 is only for the home and is not shared

We have had 1 1/2 years of great internet service from Century Link (CL) after 2 years of poor service (many, many short, interuptive outages) from Comcast. Only one CL outage when a critter chewed through the line before it was buried. We pay $65 for life for 100Mb service. (thats it just $65.)

Should say that this is fiber optic service.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I have CenturyLink Internet $45/MO. for about 3 months. And that is what I get charged. I also purchased the Modem instead of leasing it. It has worked well since I changed over from my cable supplier. I do not get any TV from CenturyLink. I use a Roku box and subscribe to Directv Now. It supplies my cable channels and local channels via the Roku Box, no contracts. I purchased the $35/Mo. package which with the fees comes out to be about $38. All via the Internet and Roku. There are a number of providers, DirecTV Now, Play Station Vue, Hulu, and I think there are a few more. They all work through the Roku. You pay for what you want. No contracts and most of these will give you a free period to check it out. Cancel anytime. When I go North for the Summer I use the same package and approach. Up North I have Spectrum. As for speeds. If you had a few teenagers living with you I would recommend faster is better. However if its just two people, unless you are doing something really strange, the CenturyLink 25Mbps is more then you'll use in Bandwidth. People sometimes see slow downs and attribute it to the ISP Provider but in fact its the server on the other end is the problem. You could have 2Gbps and would not make a difference. Data Flows at the rate the server can supply it. I had 10 Mbps for years and I could watch an HD Movie and the wife could still use her computer. So its up to you, both services will get the job done. Don't listen to the hype, look at the price. Also even through CenturyLink advertises 25Mbps, I'm getting 29Mbps. That's not to say you will get the same thing. However they will get you as close as they can to 25. Remember I used to have 10 and things worked fine.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:35 PM

I just had it installed two weeks ago and am happy so far. The monthly charge is literally $45 per month (plus another $3 if you wish to pay by credit card) -- my first bill didn't have any taxes. I did pay $100 to buy outright their combination router/modem, and another $60 for technical installation. Other than these one time fees, there were no other fees or charges on my first bill. I was happy to pay the $60 for tech installation as my house is new, and the fiber optic cable needed to be run into the house with wires then connecting to the wires to the wall outlet chosen for the router location. There was no contract, and they also told me I could pause it as much as I wish and drop the billing down to $5 per month -- I wanted that, as I'm a snow bird, though I haven't tried pausing it yet to see how easily that goes.
Closed Thread

Tags
internet, centurylink, fees, taxes, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.