Ceramic Tile

Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Smile Ceramic Tile

Looking for a recommendation on a good company to install ceramic tile in kitchen and bathroom.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Sage

Check Lowe's and Home Depot - any issues and they will probably still be around.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

The wife and I just spent a week visiting around 6 or 7 tile companies in the area. I've also searched and scrutinized all the threads on this site having to do with tile and flooring. Once you nail down your product, you need to concentrate on the company and installers. Today we signed a contract with the installer who is also the owner. The thing that impressed me the most was his attention to installation details, ie., grout and sealer, removing molding, no tile over vinyl, fully tiling under the appliances, removing existing coverings and hauling them away, and completely cleaning the house after the job is done. WOW!!

I hesitate to divulge the company at this point because the job hasn't even been started yet. Next week we'll get to inspect a job he completed using our identical "porcelain." I promise when the job is completed to my total satisfaction, I will announce the name.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:39 PM

We had Ladylake Flooring they are located on 27/441 towards Leesbery not far from 466a they did an excellent job and the insallers are extremely neat. We also had them install our laminate floors. They are very reasonable in price and also I negoatiated with them.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
The wife and I just spent a week visiting around 6 or 7 tile companies in the area. I've also searched and scrutinized all the threads on this site having to do with tile and flooring. Once you nail down your product, you need to concentrate on the company and installers. Today we signed a contract with the installer who is also the owner. The thing that impressed me the most was his attention to installation details, ie., grout and sealer, removing molding, no tile over vinyl, fully tiling under the appliances, removing existing coverings and hauling them away, and completely cleaning the house after the job is done. WOW!!

I hesitate to divulge the company at this point because the job hasn't even been started yet. Next week we'll get to inspect a job he completed using our identical "porcelain." I promise when the job is completed to my total satisfaction, I will announce the name.
Tile under the appliances is just the installer I am looking for. Can't wait for your post next week. Thank you.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Platinum member

Whenever you tile under the appliances, you have to make sure that there is enough room under the counter top to allow for the dishwasher. We had tile put in our kitchen, here in VA, and they had the tile already down and I asked them if they were sure there was room for the DW. They measured and found out they had to remove the tile in order to get the DW back in it's spot. Just watch out for that. Also, you may raise your oven/range higher than the counter surface.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Whenever you tile under the appliances, you have to make sure that there is enough room under the counter top to allow for the dishwasher. We had tile put in our kitchen, here in VA, and they had the tile already down and I asked them if they were sure there was room for the DW. They measured and found out they had to remove the tile in order to get the DW back in it's spot. Just watch out for that. Also, you may raise your oven/range higher than the counter surface.
You're right. Thanks. They're going just under the face plate of the DW. Stove and frig not an issue.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:48 AM

Nickel tile top of the line. You will get what you pay for.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

We checked the job he did. Excellent workmanship. We were impressed. Our house is next starting the 26th.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Posting your experience is a great contribution to the rest of us! At the risk of prying, might you also give us a per square foot price you pay for the job. I would much rather see that than to know the name of the contractor. Then, if I think the price is good for good work, I'd send you a private message to ask the name of the company.
The first reply to your post which mentioned Lowes and Home Depot did not mention the fact that they both have some very capable installers who do the same quality work as the good small companies, but, as often as not, for appreciably less. I can attest to that with both ceramic tile and hardwood flooring jobs. Thanks, and good luck!
Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 AM

Decided to go with Floormasters the tile is on order. We have a Camillia and they are tearing out all of the original tile and carpeting in the whole house except the bedrooms and replacing with Marrazzi Chestnut 20 x 20 through-out the house. They will be removing all the baseboards not just going up to the edge. Will be putting down a new membrane just to be on the safe side if the concrete is not totally cured and dried yet. They will be sealing off all cabinets and rooms and covering any furniture that cannot be moved out of the room because there will be a lot of dust. Also they will be be putting a tumbled stone on the front of the bar. And then they have a professional cleaning company come in and clean the home at the end. I know your going to ask so here it is. Two days for the demo and 3 days install and 1 day to clean. Total cost of the job $9650.00.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Total satisfaction never happened. Lots of unfulfilled promises. Floor does look good. Had to inspect and stand over the subs as the backsplash was installed. Will not recommend this co.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 AM

Posted some pictures my neighbors sent me. They have started the work of replacing the tile and carpet with new tile. And replacing the counters with copper canyon granite.

Last edited by under55; 08-18-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Default floor tile

We used a local Husband and Wife team.
They did a great job and work very reasonbly
Their name is Jeff and Beth Couch
Phone 352-857-0270 PM me for more details and pictures
Gerry B
Old 08-18-2010, 04:56 PM

Great info. Total square footage is estimated at what. I will looking to do something similar and your insights are very helpful.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.