Changing a Window to a Sliding Glass Door

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Changing a Window to a Sliding Glass Door

We would like to make the window in our Master Bedroom into a sliding glass door out to our Lanai. We have a Block and Stucco Home. Has anyone done this? We are looking for:
1. Have you done it and how did it turn out?
2. What was the cost?
3. Recommendation for a contractor/construction firm to do the work.
4. Did you need an architect?

Thanks in Advance
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 09-07-2021, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Neighbor had this done as part of a larger project, so no idea of the cost or time frame. T&D did the project. It sounds like yours will be more complicated than theirs, they replaced a window with a door. Unless you have a really wide window, I am guessing the width of a slider will be much wider than the existing window. This means the lintel beam will need to be replaced. While you may not need an architect your contractor might. You will need ARC approval for your project.
Good luck with your project.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:10 PM

We had it done as part of a larger project Grinrich const. did it 4-6000 is a range. You also might have to make another window in the bedroom 5 ft wide Company can all necessary permits and aarc
Old 09-07-2021, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashes View Post
We had it done as part of a larger project Grinrich const. did it 4-6000 is a range. You also might have to make another window in the bedroom 5 ft wide Company can all necessary permits and aarc
This is a very large window (6 feet wide) and takes up the only outside wall in the bedroom. Why do you need another window anyway?

I am planning the slider to be the same width as the window, no change in the Hole size, just removing the block below the window.

I will be doing this as part of a large Lanai expansion - enclose current lanai, add a covered Pergola and a birdcage. This would go out to the covered Pergola. I was thinking around $5000 so 4-6 sort of confirms that.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
door, window, sliding, glass, firm

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.