City Furniture experience - yuck

Closed Thread
Old 11-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
I thought the district offices were put on the second floor, which was not retail space, but held the design center. Where are the district offices taking up retail space?

I do agree that City Furniture did benefit from all the good will generated by Southern Lifestyles. I saw very few complaints about that place. I think Villagers go to City expecting the same concern and care they got from Southern Lifestyles and are severely disappointed.
The district offices take up the whole main floor of the former Southern Lifestyles store--the large portion that was left after an investment group moved into the right end of the building a couple of years before, taking up what Southern Lifestyles used as their clearance showroom.

They turned that beautiful furniture shopping showroom with QUALITY, brand-name furniture into district bureaucracy offices.

A huge nail in the coffin of retail at Lake Sumter Landing.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

You all do realize that City Furniture belongs to the Developer….
Old 11-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
I am pretty sure The Developer sold the stores to City Furniture. I think that's where you got the connection from.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8470 View Post
Worst buying experience of my life!! Recently purchased a six piece leather sectional from this company. Was talked into buying the 3 year in home service agreement also. Their rationale was that if ANYTHING went wrong within 3 years I would be fully covered for repair or replacement - my complete satisfaction was their goal (insert laughter here). After it was delivered and assembled I noticed that 4 of the six pieces were not uniform. One recliner was two inches lower than the rest, one piece had very noticeable crooked stitching, another had a crooked upper cushion, and one backpiece was stuffed so that looked like a pointed bra not a rounded cushion. I called their customer "NO" service and a service tech appointment was set. They arrived, fluffed a few cushions and promptly said that nothing else could be done and left. After emailing customer "NO" service several times with no response I called and was told my issues were preference items and that was it. I asked the lady if she thought it was my 'preference' to have crooked stitching, sagging seat backs, and incorrectly stuffed furniture. Theresponse was noncommittal. Basically I was told that there was no recourse - end of story. After my experience I went online to research this company and was stunned to read the hundreds of negative reviews. My bad for not checking ahead of time. They absolutely do not seem to care. I have never encountered this type of stonewalling before. They will take your calls and wear you out saying no, no, no ad nauseam. If anything, I have learned to check the online reviews of any company that I plan to make a major purchase from in the future. One positive note - I called my original sales person and requested a refund of the $315 service agreement charge. They complied after hearing of my experience with corporate. The sales person did not seem surprised at how I was treated.
Why would anyone buy a 3 yr. warranty on furniture?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Great experiences with Kane, both on the sale and service when required.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-19-2015, 05:51 PM

we recently furnish our whole house from City Furniture and our experience was completely different than what is being mentioned here. We bought over $14,000 worth of furniture from them and would definitely use them again. We had a couple of pieces that need repaired and replaced even after there are three day inspection and they were excellent to work with. We also felt like their selection was far superior to any other stores in the area. Every piece we wanted was in stock and was delivered within a couple of days. I would also recommend our Sales Rep, Victoria Vos. She was very helpful, professional, and not pushy.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Great experience with Whites Furniture, and when we noticed the finish on the headboard was not quite right, they exchanged no problem. We did go in City Furniture, once, fortunately they did not have what we wanted. Based on all of the negative comments, will not return.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:18 PM

Glad we purchased when we did. We originally were ready to purchase a living room set, a kitchen and dining room set and two bedroom sets from Southern Lifestyle in Sumter Landing but all five sets were 'out of stock'. Between sister store, Showcase Direct in Spanish Springs and White's for bed and mattresses, we purchased our goods and never had a complaint as the sales people and delivery people were extremely competent and courteous. Good thing too because we had two lawn chairs and a $10.00 Sony radio.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManTime View Post
I don't think that is correct.....City Furniture has 10+ stores in South Florida and only two are here. Doesn't mean the Developer doesn't gain some compensation for the exclusivity, but can't imagine how City Furniture fits their model. If you have some facts please enlighten.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I don't think that is correct.....City Furniture has 10+ stores in South Florida and only two are here. Doesn't mean the Developer doesn't gain some compensation for the exclusivity, but can't imagine how City Furniture fits their model. If you have some facts please enlighten.
I agree. I think they got out of the furniture business when they closed Southern Lifestyles. That was real customer service! I don't think the developer would retain ownership and let customer service go to pot.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran member

Luckily I was able to buy all my furniture from Southern Lifestles, White's and Babette's. Excellent customer service from all of them. It sure improved my life from the lawn chair and radio I had when I started here. I did buy one item from Showcase Direct later and was less than pleased when they closed the store and the separate "insurance" I bought on the Broyhill chair was not honored since it was store insurance. I will be replacing the chair.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Contrary to the theme of this thread, I had a very good experience with City Furniture. Bought a dining room buffet/server. Was delivered on time with a 3 hr. window and a call when they were 15 min away. delivery people were professional and polite. the piece was undamaged and fit perfectly. The salesman was courteous and knowledgeable. Would buy there again, but then again maybe I was lucky
Old 12-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

I went into City Furniture earlier in the year looking for a sofa table; couldn't get anyone to acknowledge I was in there - probably due to my cargo shorts and Hogs tee shirt. Anyhow, we've never been back and never will.

I see their delivery trucks speeding all over TV most days; must be still finding suckers everyday to buy their crap.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:03 AM
Veteran member

I don't doubt that all of the reviews are correct and it makes me nervous to purchase there again, however, I do have to say that I bought a very expensive bedroom set and a sleeper sofa from them with no problem. The delivery guys were great.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

One can only attest to what they had experienced.

We loved Southern Lifestyles their inventory sales people, etc

When we decided to shop for additional replacement Southern was now City Furniture. We did not like the inventory nor the sales guy who appeared to be to probably have a name like slick willie.

So we purchased elsewhere finding both quality product and service
Closed Thread

Tags
service, experience, called, company, crooked, cushion, stitching, stuffed, customer, reviews, online, sales, told, piece, agreement, preference, person, furniture, buying, bad, lady, thought, ahead, absolutely, checking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.