Comcast raised bill again!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2020, 06:33 AM

Get a fire stick and antenna and kick Comcast to the curb
Old 01-14-2020, 07:06 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

I have Comcast wi-fi only just increased from $59.95 to $79.95. Have no other choice.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:20 AM

The Villages needs to open the market up to all providers. They control the markets. The kick backs from comcast and spectrum must be pretty good.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:27 AM

The increase in my bill was due to increase in Broadcast TV fee which went from $10 to $14.95. I was told years ago it was a pass-through fee they are charged. So I emailed Comcast to ask for some sort of documentation to show that this is what they are actually charged and I got no response.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I just viewed my new bill from Comcast and my bill went up another $6.00. They raised all their fees and rentals.
I am so tired of dealing with them year after year!! Unfortunately, in our area, we only have this choice or a dish.
I can see why people want to pull the cord.
I know this has nothing to do with TV but where I live we have probably 5 or 6 choices of cable. I would say 90% of the residents here took Frontier & it must be pretty cheap for the subdivision because our HOA pays for it & it’s FREE & we get cable & Internet. When we moved from TV we paid $165. a month for Brighthouse. I’m sure if we can get Frontier here in Texas you should be able to get it in TV. I like it because I get all & any NCAA , pro game that being played. (got every Ohio St. game, GO BUCKS) As a matter of fact we get just about any sport you want. We even get Corn Hole tournaments. But maybe again maybe nobody in TV wants it. I’m sure if TV’s wanted to they could get the residents a good deal somewhere!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
The Villages needs to open the market up to all providers. They control the markets. The kick backs from comcast and spectrum must be pretty good.
bmit16, read my comment below!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage

Here is our math:

CenturyLink internet only: $45
YouTubeTV: $50

Total: $95

YouTubeTV has the local affiliates and DVR in the cloud.

You need approximately 5 megabits per second of internet bandwidth per stream for 1080p hi-def.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
If you look at the bill, the specific rate increase was for the local channels. This means that the local channels raised their rates to Comcast, and this was passed along.

I get the 220+ channel pack and 200MB internet for $131 a month. I have tried "cutting the cable" (and I am an IT guy, so I understand how all this works), but it you really want to get local channels, have a DVR, etc, the cost ends up being higher than what I get through Comcast.

If you're willing to go without a lot of what you have now, then yes, you can reduce your bill.

With regards to DirecTV or Dish... I had one or the other for 20 years, then moved to Florida. Rain outs are extremely bad down here - loss of signal for multiple hours and multiple days. I finally dropped it.

I'm just saying do the math - include costs for internet (you'll need faster internet for multiple streaming sets), local channels, and whatever streaming services you get when you cut the cord. You'll be surprised how much all that really costs.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
I have Comcast wi-fi only just increased from $59.95 to $79.95. Have no other choice.
Yes, we had Brighthouse & when we first got it, it was $59.95 a month too. When we moved 7 yrs. later we were paying $165. (for cable & Internet)We now get cable TV & Internet for FREE through our HOA, I’m sure TV could do the same thing. TV could get the residents a good deal if they wanted.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage

Depending on where you live in The Villages, you may have multiple choices. Where we live, we have 3 choices for internet access (Comcast, Spectrum, and CenturyLink), and 2 choices for traditional "cable" TV (Comcast, Spectrum) plus satellite, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmit16 View Post
Old 01-14-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We're paying $50/month for the 2nd-to-lowest internet plan, which was supposed to be 60mbps but they upgraded us to 100mbps for the same $50/month. We have a roku stick, which cost us I think around $60 to purchase the stick and dongle. We get all the news channels, a kajillion movie channels. the ADDAMS FAMILY channel (can you believe that?!!!?), the James Bond channel (I know right?), a bunch of retro TV channels, classic film channels, all kinds of crazy stuff, plus some sports recap channels. We pay nothing for those, it's all included with the Roku.

We CAN get TV bundles for an extra $50 with Youtube or Hulu but so far we're okay with what we have now. Plus I do these shopping apps which gives me amazon and google play credit, so if I want to see a movie that isn't available free, I just use my credits and rent them from google or amazon and STILL don't pay a dime. I saw Judy today, with Renee Zelweiger. It was $1.99 to rent but I used the google pay credit I get from google rewards. Net cost: zero.
We did the same thing and cut the cord and love it. Get all the content we did before for a lot less money.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Go Streaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I just viewed my new bill from Comcast and my bill went up another $6.00. They raised all their fees and rentals.
I am so tired of dealing with them year after year!! Unfortunately, in our area, we only have this choice or a dish.
I can see why people want to pull the cord.
Just make sure you have decent Internet service and go streaming. YouTubeTV is great and it's only $50 per month for something like 70 channels. You can add on additional channels such as movie channels for extra. You need something like a Roku for each TV, but YouTubeTV allows up to six devices. I dropped Comcast for their ridiculous fees and have never looked back.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Here is our math:

CenturyLink internet only: $45
YouTubeTV: $50

Total: $95

YouTubeTV has the local affiliates and DVR in the cloud.

You need approximately 5 megabits per second of internet bandwidth per stream for 1080p hi-def.
We tried this - but going from 200+ channels on DirecTV or Comcast to 70 on YouTube left out several channels that either me or my wife really wanted. The cost to get another service that offered these channels added yet another $30 to the cost.

In addition, you now have to juggle which service to start for the channel you want to watch - I'm OK with that, but my wife isn't.

If you plan on only getting 5mbps per stream, you need to plan on seeing your shows stutter and freeze at times. I know folks that try to save money by getting the 12mbps service and their screens have constant issues with one stream.

However, 50mbps should be enough for most purposes.

There is nothing wrong with cutting the cord - just realize that you do give up some features/channels/selections to save that money. As long as those options mean nothing to you, that is great!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage

We had 10 megabit per second internet for about 2 years and never had any issues with 2 hi-def streams. Some services, such as Netflix, are adaptive and will adjust the resolution if necessary to prevent buffering delays if you have a poor internet provider. If you want to stream 4k content then about 20 megabits per second is required per stream. While it can be nice to have some webpages with numerous graphics load a bit quicker, most people are paying for more bandwidth than they need. I can't speak of the quality of Comcast and Spectrum internet, but CenturyLink via fiber to the house is reliable and the performance is consistent.

Regarding features, YoutubeTV is essentially the same as traditional "cable". There is a programming guide and DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
We tried this - but going from 200+ channels on DirecTV or Comcast to 70 on YouTube left out several channels that either me or my wife really wanted. The cost to get another service that offered these channels added yet another $30 to the cost.

In addition, you now have to juggle which service to start for the channel you want to watch - I'm OK with that, but my wife isn't.

If you plan on only getting 5mbps per stream, you need to plan on seeing your shows stutter and freeze at times. I know folks that try to save money by getting the 12mbps service and their screens have constant issues with one stream.

However, 50mbps should be enough for most purposes.

There is nothing wrong with cutting the cord - just realize that you do give up some features/channels/selections to save that money. As long as those options mean nothing to you, that is great!

Last edited by biker1; 01-14-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you're worried about $6, don't ever sign up with Directv. In 12 years I've never had the same bill twice. Of course I'm always calling and getting a discount of some kind, and usually they come through. Past two years I was rewarded with NFL Sunday Ticket for free, but couldn't get it free this year.

I have the Premier Package which is every channel (330 Channels), plus HD DVR, second HD box, HD Tier Channels (Sony, MGM, HDNET, etc), Sports Package (all the local and national sports channels), all the premium channels (HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, TMC - about 8 to 10 of each in HD), maintenance plan. The tax in Florida alone is $22 a month, when you have no state income tax they get their money in other ways. Plus I'm on my last month of six months of paying for NFL Sunday Ticket installments, which was every game in the NFL. Directv is expensive, but you pay for the convenience of having every channel and it's shown on an on-screen channel guide and being able to jump back and forth and record 4 channels at once and store up to 200 hours forever. The only thing I don't have is the 4K box, but I didn't want to lose about 75 favorite movies I have already recorded. I figured since I'm retired and do enjoy watching TV, that I'm not going to sacrifice saving a few dollars, which would be blown on something else anyway.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM
Default Broadcast TV Fee

Comcast's Broadcast TV Fee increased by 49.5% this month. On my "contract" it goes from $10 to $14.95. Overall my bill will increase by $5.80.

For those of you who call Comcast, my advice is don't. Take a trip to the Xfinity store at the corner of Rolling Acres Road and Hwy 27/441. Talk to them in person! No retention department to deal with. Last July when my 2 year"contract" was almost up, I went to the store with the intent of closing my account. I merely asked "what can you do for me." Within five minutes I was given a lower rate than before, plus upgraded equipment.

I'll make another trip to the store in 2021, ready to cancel, unless a better deal is offered.
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, comcast, raised, year, choice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.