Concrete Expansion Joint Repairs Needed Before Painting Driveway

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2020, 07:38 PM
Default Concrete Expansion Joint Repairs Needed Before Painting Driveway

We are outside the warranty period and are looking for recommendations for someone that can repair a few chipped concrete driveway expansion joints successfully before we have our driveway painted.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Driveway chip.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	86577  
Old 10-12-2020, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,230 Posts

There are several products for this type of repair, but one item i would be sure to use is a bonding agent. This is applied to the old concrete before the patch is applied. Also, you will need to have the grain or texture of the patch matched as well as possible to the old concrete. i have found this to be difficult, and depending on the pattern of the new paint the patches may stick out. One final item, you should plan on allowing a month or so (refer to patch directions) for the patch to fully cure before paint is applied.
I offer this info as I have no idea of a contractor to do a small job, perhaps there is a handy man that has some experience in the area. On a side note, I would try to have the paint done is such a manner that these areas could be easily repainted IF the patch fails and has to be redone.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:47 AM

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Sage

My opinion: If your painted design includes several colors and patterns, these imperfections won't be noticed by anyone but you. Paint over them and be done with them - no potential separation of a patch/repair.
Closed Thread

Tags
driveway, concrete, expansion, joints, successfully

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.