Concrete pad

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2019, 11:40 PM
Default Concrete pad

Looking for contractor to put in a 10'x10'x4" or 10'x12'x4" concrete pad in back yard for use as patio. Possibly putting tile on surface at a later date.
House yet to be built and thinking it would be less expensive as a after build project as opposed to having done when house is built. Things can get a bit pricey when being done by The Villages when they build a house.

I know lots of contractors to pick from but prefer finding one with recommendation from fellow Villagers they have used.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:25 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintonshannon View Post
Looking for contractor to put in a 10'x10'x4" or 10'x12'x4" concrete pad in back yard for use as patio. Possibly putting tile on surface at a later date.
House yet to be built and thinking it would be less expensive as a after build project as opposed to having done when house is built. Things can get a bit pricey when being done by The Villages when they build a house.

I know lots of contractors to pick from but prefer finding one with recommendation from fellow Villagers they have used.
I would bet on it being less expensive and much better quality of having it built with the home. I know that building a pool while having the house built actually saves about 15-20% of the cost of adding it after the house is built. For the contractors pouring the concrete it's just more product being delivered and poured while they're pouring the entire slab. After the house is built they'll have to remove the sod and irrigation, set up the forms to get the site ready, then pumping cement to the back yard. Then the irrigation would need to be reinstalled then possibly a little more new sod because it some of it will be damaged by the work being done. All of that will cost more plus the finished concrete will never look the same if left unfinished. Another factor for me would be it will all be done without having to entertain bids and then dealing with an outside company. T&D does all the slabs here in TV, I would just have them do it while building the house. Good luck!

Last edited by Michael Charles; 12-05-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

OP, also, you are not allowed to have live irrigation pipes under a concrete pad, so if you wait until after construction, you will need to have these relocated, and of course you will need to get ARC approval. On a side note, 4 inches may be on the thin side, and typically there will be a footer involved, as well as some reinforcement. I agree with above, have this added to the original home design, you get the villages warranty on the work, and you will not need to make any other changes or applications.
Once ypou move in make sure you want a minimum of 30 days for the concrete to completely cure before putting on any finish.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Best to do it while the house is being built. Factor in the damage to your brand new landscaping and if there is a crack or other malfunction with the patio I'd rather call The Villages. Good Luck.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,770 Times in 1,240 Posts

If doing it as part of your home, I noticed sometimes the builder pours the Lanai/patio as part of the home foundation, including a footer out to the edge of the patio/Lanai.

Other times those are poured after as a slab on top of the ground same time as the driveway.

I'd suggest specifying the first to minimize risk of settling/cracking in the future.

I'll also add the concrete foundation flatwork is among the best I've seen. They use granite for aggrigate, which is very strong and allows stacking concrete block the next day.

Last edited by Altavia; 12-05-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-05-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage

These Florida Contractors that work for The Villages have their act together as far as placing concrete. Artists with Concreteo. Perfect nope, but pretty close. The preparation before pouring a pad, foundation or walkway is critical and they are like robots. The Concrete that they use is beautiful compared to the Northeast. Great ingredients I suppose.

Pour anything and everything while the house is being built if you can do it. $$$$ If not I understand.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintonshannon View Post

I used T and D for a concrete pad beside my lanai. They were the lowest priced out of three quotes, and their work was quality and on time, I would use them again.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 AM

We also had quotes from others when putting in our hot tub pad, T & D was right on the mark with their competitive pricing. Although we did go with pavers, they still did our electrical work, etc. I'd use them again for anything.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,201 Times in 463 Posts

Do not know about pools and concrete but my house is 5 years old and the concrete in the driveway is chipping and broken in places under normal, less than normal wear, so the concrete cannot be the greatest. The coliseum in Rome is 2000 years old and still standing although I have noticed some chipping there!
Old 12-06-2019, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mciccolella View Post
Do not know about pools and concrete but my house is 5 years old and the concrete in the driveway is chipping and broken in places under normal, less than normal wear, so the concrete cannot be the greatest. The coliseum in Rome is 2000 years old and still standing although I have noticed some chipping there!
Sometimes an irresponsible driver doesn't report a small amount of timed out leftover from their last delivery and they load your material on top of the Bad Stuff and it can give problems like the ones the OP mentioned. There are many reasons for results like yours. Really a shame.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:02 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Concrete Pad

T&D They are the best. They are also insured and if approval is needed they will obtain all necessary paperwork. They did ours 12 years ago, still perfect. Len The retired half of Investment Painting.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Pricey is exactly right Clintonshannon!
Closed Thread

Tags
house, build, pad, built, concrete

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.