Concrete slab

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Default Concrete slab

Would like to have a concrete slab outside my lanai to put my grill. Recommendations?
Old 07-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Gold member

The easiest and cheapest is to buy some of the concrete patio stones from Lowe's/HD and lay them where you want them.
You can buy them, I believe, 24" by 24". You lay them on top of the grass and they will settle in over time.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

might want to check with ARC to see if you need their approval if you're going to pour a slab
Old 07-02-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

There is more to just putting in a slab, you are not allowed to have operating water lines under a slab (irrigation or potable) and many irrigation lines run in proximity to the outline of the house. So have been there and done that, I suggest you contact ARC for approval, then get a licensed, insured, bonded construction company to do the work and pull any necessary permits.

As noted above, if you go the paver route much of what I said is not necessary, but you still need ARC approval.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:26 PM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

' licensed, insured, AND bonded ' ? ? ? permits ? ? ? does 1 also need to call 811 ? ? ?

i'd guess pavers are the least expensive but, if you're physically challenged, they can be heavy to horse around if diy,,, they SHOULD be installed on a compacted gravel base then locked into place w/polymeric sand - both avail @ apron/vest stores,,, depending on size, probably wouldn't need base for concrete. 80# bag will yield 2sf @ 4" thickness - rebar, fiber, OR welded wire mesh not necessary BUT don't make the pad too large or you will need a control joint or 2 to prevent random cracking 8' x 10' would require 2 control jnts whereas 4' x 5' could be 1 piece

does 1 need arc approval for temp ext flooring such as pavers ? after all, they can be removed in a heartbeat if necessary, + won't interfere w/buried utilities,,, just asking....

just how restrictive are the arc rules ?

suppose we'll discover @ end of month when we move in - thanks in adv
Old 07-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
' licensed, insured, AND bonded ' ? ? ? permits ? ? ? does 1 also need to call 811 ? ? ?

i'd guess pavers are the least expensive but, if you're physically challenged, they can be heavy to horse around if diy,,, they SHOULD be installed on a compacted gravel base then locked into place w/polymeric sand - both avail @ apron/vest stores,,, depending on size, probably wouldn't need base for concrete. 80# bag will yield 2sf @ 4" thickness - rebar, fiber, OR welded wire mesh not necessary BUT don't make the pad too large or you will need a control joint or 2 to prevent random cracking 8' x 10' would require 2 control jnts whereas 4' x 5' could be 1 piece

does 1 need arc approval for temp ext flooring such as pavers ? after all, they can be removed in a heartbeat if necessary, + won't interfere w/buried utilities,,, just asking....

just how restrictive are the arc rules ?

suppose we'll discover @ end of month when we move in - thanks in adv
Sorry if my reply was too intense, there was no size for the pad. Please look over the restrictive covenants that you signed when you bought, in general, ANY changes outside of the house or to the house need approval, so to be on the safe side ask ARC and submit request if necessary. Under the 'been there and done that' I got caught when a landscape contractor did the work WITHOUT getting approval, I was lucky, and was able to get approval after the fact because that work was within the requirements. The piping under the pad came up when we added the birdcage and had to move all of the piping in the area, so basically I am trying to help you avoid potential problems in the future.
Also, there have been reports of 'trolls' roaming the neighborhoods looking for infractions to report. The licensed and bonded is for your protection, there are 'contractors' in the area that are not licensed or bonded.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Default Concrete slab

Why would you have to move any water pipes under the slab? After all the water pipes in most of the homes built in the Villages run under the slab.
Bob
Old 07-05-2020, 10:05 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

unless he wears clown shoes & wants to keep all his footsies on the conc, i arbitrarily picked size,,, if he wants to wriggle his tootsies into what is loosely call'd 'grass', it could be smallered.

GREAT point on the restrictive covenants' - thanks ! having served on several arc's, well understand well troll patrols - we call'd 'em 'busybodies.'

have to check rqmnts for fl contractor licensing,,, iirc, obtaining a fl gc license is 1 of the toughest tests in the usa,,, subs idk but i expect they'd work under the gc's license,,, to me, more important is g/l & w/c w/named insured
Old 07-05-2020, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
Why would you have to move any water pipes under the slab? After all the water pipes in most of the homes built in the Villages run under the slab.
Bob
I have no idea, I did not call the building department, it was part of the permit for the slab, and the inspector checked to make sure this was done before the concrete was poured.

Tags
concrete, slab, lanai, put, grill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.