consumer celluar vs cricket

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Obviously but you don't really know whether he has Wi-Fi or not.
Obviously. Which is why you don't know if he will have difficulty connecting inside his home. That was my point...

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage

Virtually everyone with broadband has a Wi-FI enabled router and the vast majority of people have broadband. I do not know a single person in The Villages who doesn't have broadband with Wi-FI enabled. This is most likely a non-issue and not worth fretting over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Obviously. Which is why you don't know if he will have difficulty connecting inside his home. That was my point...

Last edited by biker1; 09-23-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I think there are many people who have no idea what broadband and WiFi are, or what their use is around the home. It might be nice if someone who is really technically knowledgeable would give an explanation on here of both broadband and WiFi. I have to admit to being one of those who did not realize that you can pick up free WiFi in many public places. When travelling the first thing I do is check my settings for the local free WiFi before I start using my phone.

Someone said to me the other day that using a phone while traveling was very expensive, they had no idea that WiFi is available if you search for it. If you are checking emails or searching on your phone without WiFi you are using Data which can mount up.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-23-2019, 07:46 PM

Cricket for us for 4 years, never a problem so I can’t even comment on customer service! Would never go back to Verizon or AT&T.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I think there are many people who have no idea what broadband and WiFi are, or what their use is around the home. It might be nice if someone who is really technically knowledgeable would give an explanation on here of both broadband and WiFi. I have to admit to being one of those who did not realize that you can pick up free WiFi in many public places. When travelling the first thing I do is check my settings for the local free WiFi before I start using my phone.

Someone said to me the other day that using a phone while traveling was very expensive, they had no idea that WiFi is available if you search for it. If you are checking emails or searching on your phone without WiFi you are using Data which can mount up.
Great idea to use Public WiFi if you are just surfing. Please don't access any credit card info or bank info while in an unsecured situation like that. Your private info can get snagged in a second.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Great idea to use Public WiFi if you are just surfing. Please don't access any credit card info or bank info while in an unsecured situation like that. Your private info can get snagged in a second.
I don't steal wifi because you don't have to. I use my phone in airports and other public places where free wifi is available, all you have to do is check your settings to see whether or not free wifi is offered.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-24-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
I don't steal wifi because you don't have to. I use my phone in airports and other public places where free wifi is available, all you have to do is check your settings to see whether or not free wifi is offered.
Never mention, thought, typed anything about stealing. I was trying to be helpful. In those places that free wifi is available is exactly the place to not use any personal information as it can be snagged by someone that you would surely not want to share it with. Free WIFI is NOT SECURE. That was my point. Never anything about stealing. If it's FREE how could you STEAL it?

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Wow..... Nucky you didn't deserve that!
Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 AM
Platinum member

Peace out, Nucky. Can't help everyone...geez!

Old 09-24-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
What Nucky said.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Peace out, Nucky. Can't help everyone...geez!

Thanks Fraugoofy, I still want to help this poster from getting in trouble in a public place with WIFI but don't know if it would be received well. I goof around on here a whole lot maybe it's difficult to accept when I'm serious. Peace Out Fraugoofy and thanks.

I will be changing from Verizon once the equipment I have is paid off. I have liked Cricket because for about 4 years njbchbum has been happy with it and we travel the same route back up north. Her steadfast approval is good enough for me.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage

If you are going to a website with your browser that supports https then you are pretty safe on a public network but there are still some vulnerabilities (someone would really want to get at you and you would need to make some poor choices). If you are using an app to go to a bank or other such website it would make sense to make sure encryption is being used but again there could be some vulnerabilities. Using VPN software on your device in a public network makes everything safe unless the NSA is after you.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 09-24-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

There are plenty of websites that will explain communications and the internet in varying degrees of detail. The short story is that broadband is a high-speed connection to the internet. It is typically provided via cable TV companies and phone companies using various cabling technologies. Wi-Fi is a wireless connection protocol to the internet (essentially to a local router) that eliminates the need to have an ethernet cable to your devices from your router. Broadband to your house requires a router that will typically have both ethernet ports (there might be some devices you want hardwired to your router) and a Wi-Fi transmitter/receiver. Consumer Wi-Fi products have been available for 20 years and Wi-Fi has become ubiquitous.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 09-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Thanks Fraugoofy, I still want to help this poster from getting in trouble in a public place with WIFI but don't know if it would be received well. I goof around on here a whole lot maybe it's difficult to accept when I'm serious. Peace Out Fraugoofy and thanks.

I will be changing from Verizon once the equipment I have is paid off. I have liked Cricket because for about 4 years njbchbum has been happy with it and we travel the same route back up north. Her steadfast approval is good enough for me.
We changed from Verizon to Cricket several years ago and have not looked back. Very happy with the service, coverage, and price. The best part is the CUSTOMER SERVICE we receive when needed. The store employees in Spanish Springs are great as someone else posted not too long ago.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
We changed from Verizon to Cricket several years ago and have not looked back. Very happy with the service, coverage, and price. The best part is the CUSTOMER SERVICE we receive when needed. The store employees in Spanish Springs are great as someone else posted not too long ago.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner, another great recommendation for Cricket. It's looking better all the time. Thanks, CWGUY!
Closed Thread

Tags
preference, cell, service, 2, what, celluar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.