Golf car rental?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 PM
Default Golf car rental?

Hi all, We are coming for month of March and thought we were all set for golf car rental. Not so! I had called this person last June and he said no problem. Now there's a problem - he has none left! Any input from anyone as to best place to try and rent would be appreciated! I know there's a golf car sales office at Sumter - do they rent also? We're at a loss now.
Thanks to all you kind folks for any help!

Peg & Bob
Bethlehem, CT

We are like two little kids waiting to go to Disney! Can't wait to get there again and for a nice long time!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Sage

You can try Grandma & Grandpa'a (Scott) at (352) 552-8478 or Jim Followell at (352) 259-7525. Perhaps they'll have something available.

And yes, The Villages Golf Car store rents carts as well.

Best wishes - Jan. through Mar. is a tough time to get a rental. However, given that you're wanting it for the whole month will be an advantage.

Bill
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM

I called Grandma & Grandpa's 10 minutes ago and they are sold out for the last two weeks of March.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It is the high season, but you might try Jim Followell (352/259-7525). He might have a cart or two available. Sometimes he has cancellations.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran member

We were just in Sumter Landing this evening. There were many rentals parked out back behind "TheVillages Golf Carts" (352-753-6750). Give them a call. There shouldn't be a problem. They're not the fastest, but it'll get you where you want to go.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage

Frankly, I'd rather skip a cart than rent from The Villages -- they're just too slow. On top of that, many don't have any type of enclosures and, while not as cold as up north, it can still be cold and wet.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2011, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Frankly, I'd rather skip a cart than rent from The Villages -- they're just too slow. On top of that, many don't have any type of enclosures and, while not as cold as up north, it can still be cold and wet.
Admittedly redwitch, their carts are slow...and I'd rather drive a customized Yesteryear cart rather than my gas Yamaha. But I'd still rather rent one from them and experience the fun and convenience of driving a cart than not having one at all. If it's cold or rainy on a particular day, their other option would be to just use their car.

Last edited by philnpat; 02-12-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: .
Old 02-12-2011, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
Admittedly redwitch, their carts are slow...and I'd rather drive a customized Yesteryear cart rather than my gas Yamaha. But I'd still rather rent one from them and experience the fun and convenience of driving a cart than not having one at all. If it's cold or rainy on a particular day, their other option would be to just use their car.
The problem is that these carts are NOT fun. After the first day, I've never heard of one person being glad they have one of these carts. The slowness and being passed (and glared at) by everyone seems to make them not enjoyable. I've heard several say they just starting driving their cars rather take out these carts and these were lifestyle people, so their carts were free. Imagine having to pay for something you hate after a day or two.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I came for 3 Lifestyle visits and drove the "slow" carts each time. I'll admit, it was a little frustrating getting passed all the time, but it gave us an opportunity to wave everyone around us and smile. Most people are understanding of the slow rental carts and take it in stride. You really need to explore TV by golf cart to get the full experience, in my opinion; whether at 13mph or 20mph matters little.

Plus, when I see someone in one of those plain jane rental carts, I try to talk to them and ask them how they like TV and answer any questions they might have....good way to meet new people...

Just another perspective.....
Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Platinum member

Yes, the slow carts can be frustrating. Been there drove that. My last time in TV, Jim Followell cart was quick and could keep up with my friends real golf cart. I guess it is the luck of the draw. I believe there are regulators to keep inexperienced drivers from going to fast. Perhaps for insurance reasons. I agree with Redwitch about The Village Gold Store aving no sunbrella. I came within two minutes of being drenched by a rain storm before reaching my destination. But like Phil (andPat) said "It is better than not having a cart" Any visitor must use a golf cart to experience TV.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Very well put, memason! We had the same experience as you...and...don't remember being glared at. In fact, we were lost near the end of the Lake Sumter bridge while looking for the woodworking shop. Someone realized we were obviously new (because of the cart) and had us follow them. They took us all the way to the shop and introduced us to everyone there. Because of that, we made several new friends on our first day.
Consider the "plain Jane" cart an initiation. We villagers are mostly a friendly bunch. You'll get more smiles than glares. It's the ones who glare that have the problem.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Default Golf cart rental

Wow, thank you all so much for all the good input...this site has the BEST people! We also experienced the LSP cart and wanted no part of that. We went to Village Golf Cart Man and have one all set, BUT, from your input, I will call to be sure we have a top and sides!

Hope to meet some of you during our stay! We can't wait to leave the frozen tundra!

Peg & Bob
Bethlehem, CT
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Platinum member

Not to mention that Jim Followells carts are much cheaper than village rentals!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Default Golf cart rentals delivered?

We've rented from three places in the three yrs we've been here. The Villages Golf Carts are all gas and no enclosures. Got soaked when trying to return it. Rented from The Villages Golf Cart Man, with POOR service and a crappy cart. And this yr. from A-OK in Leesburg, who delivered and was quick to fix a problem. But cart enclosure is velcro-ed, and doesn't stay on well in the wind. Looking for someone with GOOD electric carts with nice covers, and are reliable, and will deliver or are at least N. of 466. Any suggestions?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Not to mention that Jim Followells carts are much cheaper than village rentals!
I arrived in the Villages with no transportation. Jim Followell delived it to me and also picked it up. His cart has a sunbrella and some giddyup to it. It was even nice looking. Jim did me good.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.