Cutting the Cable Cord

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2018, 08:41 AM
Default Cutting the Cable Cord

Has anyone successfully cut the cable cord and now use YouTubeTV, Sling TV, etc? What was your experience? Dish TV is about to almost double my monthly charge.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage

We cut the cord 7 years ago and never looked back. Until recently, we used an over-the-air antenna plus Roku boxes to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. We recently dropped Hulu and started using YouTubeTV (and also stopped using the over-the-air antenna) because of some additional content we wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2144 View Post
Has anyone successfully cut the cable cord and now use YouTubeTV, Sling TV, etc? What was your experience? Dish TV is about to almost double my monthly charge.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

We cut the cable about a year ago and it was very easy. There are quite a few streaming options. We had the $35 directv now package for about 10 months but recently switched to youtube tv which includes the golf channel for the same price. It recently went up to $40 for new subscribers. We have amazon prime mainly for the 2 day shipping but their included streaming service is very good. We also have Hulu for about $5 a month. Don’t miss cable tv at all with it’s 150 channels, 95% of which we never watched. We previously were long term subscribers to Netflix until recently when they got a little too political for me.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
We cut the cable about a year ago and it was very easy. There are quite a few streaming options. We had the $35 directv now package for about 10 months but recently switched to youtube tv which includes the golf channel for the same price. It recently went up to $40 for new subscribers. We have amazon prime mainly for the 2 day shipping but their included streaming service is very good. We also have Hulu for about $5 a month. Don’t miss cable tv at all with it’s 150 channels, 95% of which we never watched. We previously were long term subscribers to Netflix until recently when they got a little too political for me.
Who provides your internet and how much?

Last edited by yabbadu; 06-07-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: add words
Old 06-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post
I’m in the extreme northern part of the Villages and we have century link. They have a $45 a month for life at 25mbps which we started on. We upgraded to 80mbps for $55 but probably could have stayed with the 25mbps.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:54 PM
Sage

CenturyLink for $35 per month for 40 megabits per second download and 20 megabits per second upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post

Last edited by biker1; 06-07-2018 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:04 PM

I got rid of DirecTV and went with SlingTV. $29.95 plus opted for the $5/mo. to record. Also have a Netflix subscription. So far, am loving all of it and have had no problems with the streaming.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:20 PM

I have been off of cable at my home here in Florida and in Rochester NY area for three years now. I use centurylink internet here in Florida and Spectrum/TimeWarner at my NY home.

I have the same commercial grade over the air antenna at both locations. I use a Roku device to navigate. I also use Sony's PlayStation Vue for our streaming package. It has slightly more content than YouTubeTV and the other streaming packages. It costs $45 per month and the Internet costs us $45 per month. PlayStation Vue has all of the Broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Also has all the Sports you can get on cable.

We never think about going back. It works very well. Our price never changes. And I don't have to spend hours talking to reps to fix pricing issues. Also, on the over the air antenna, the picture quality is superior by far to cable.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:43 PM

Very happy we cut the cord. We have Spectrum internet $45/mo and the Spectrum app at $20/mo. The app gives us 10 live local channels. We also have Amazon Prime and we use Roku
Old 06-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Thank you, OP, for starting this thread.

We have been talking about doing this but then we never get around to it.

I do like a couple of HGTV shows but I can get over them. Besides, they try to make me feel bad because I do not have white kitchen cabinets. But I do not feel one bit bad about it — no matter what those snot-nosed House Hunters say.

All these “absolutely no regrets” after cable-cutting comments are exactly like what we hear from people who finally get rid of all the other stuff they do not need — all that stuff taking up space in rooms, basements, garages, cabinets, drawers, closets, file cabinets, etc. No regrets.

FREEDOM! The time is now — or maybe next week.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:13 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
Very happy we cut the cord. We have Spectrum internet $45/mo and the Spectrum app at $20/mo. The app gives us 10 live local channels. We also have Amazon Prime and we use Roku
So you don't have an antenna?
Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Gold member

Can someone please give me me a step by step instructions on how to get rid of cable and get these streaming apps. I am not savvy smart in this area at all.

Thank you so much
Old 06-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Can someone please give me me a step by step instructions on how to get rid of cable and get these streaming apps. I am not savvy smart in this area at all.

Thank you so much
1. Find out if you have a contract and when it is up with your current cable/dish provider. There is often a charge for breaking your contract early so you want to know this before you start.
2. All of the services that stream require internet, so if your internet was bundled with TV....find out the new charge and compare to other internet only prices available to you from competitors.
3. You need either a smart TV or a streaming player (Roku, Amazon fire stick, etc.) If you are in the market for a new TV then buy one that is a "smart TV" which really means it is able to connect to the internet (it has a microprocessor and WiFi ability) If you like your current TV, then buy a Roku or Fire Stick to add the streaming) They plug into the TV through either the HDMI port or the USB port (older TV's might not have these so check if yours does). (If your TV is 4K, buy the Roku or Fire Stick that is also 4K) You can have some of each in the same house (I have one smart TV, a Roku in another room and a Fire Stick in another....they are all good.)
Now for the monthly $$$: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YoutubeTV, Direct TVnow, Sling are all streaming services that you pay for individually so you can order what fits. You don't need them all. I would suggest starting with YoutubeTV for about $35 a month. You might already have Amazon Prime if you use it for the free shipping from Amazon.
That's the basic nuts and bolts. I hope it helps.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:07 PM
Gold member

Thank you so very much! This is a great start for me and I so appreciate your help.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:20 PM

We went to hulu live and love it. $39 a month has all the cable channels and more. We just canceled Comcast. So glad to be gone. Hulu tech people are great.
Closed Thread

Tags
cord, cable, dish, experience, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.