Cutting the Cable Cord

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2018, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Megabytes, Terabytes, MBPS? I'll admit I may be a bit off base with the terminology but they mentioned no limit when I bought back into Comcast and the way I had the Roku set and we never turned off the computers or brought the Roku to the home position made us go over the 1024 limit. All Tv'S were at 1080 not 720. I just want to figure this out before I go over again.
I'm trying. We do not watch that much TV. We get a Terabyte with Comcast.

Streaming is great and I just want to stay off the phone with them. I learning and feel confident we'll be ok.
I do suspect you have terabyte limit. Learning to put Roku home will most likely solve your limit problem. I have switched to DirecTV now (stream)VS DirecTV(satellite) at a savings of $100/month. It takes some leaning and the industry is growing fast but still has some hiccups. All in all I'm leaning to love it. Hi resolution, watch what I want to watch on my schedule, oh and I can take it with me wherever I go. Great for a person with two homes. Switching from 1080 to 720 will help and probably not noticeable on a 32 inch or less TV but as you get into the larger screens the resolution will become quite noticeable. Good luck - no doubt in my mind this is the next wave in TV. No more equipment like boxes and dishes required, portability, much lower cost, state of the art picture quality. Another little factoid is you can have as many TV as you want. Just buy another Roku for $30. The limitation for DirecTV Now is two TV at once playing not how many are hooked up. You can add another TV for $5/month. It's coming fast.

Last edited by rustyp; 10-31-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:44 AM

Yes, just make sure you put your ROKU on home page prior to turning off your tv. You can also set your resolution lower maybe 1080 instead of 4K. These steps will greatly reduce your data usage.... approximately 3G per hour for 1080 and 7G per hour for 4k resolution.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 10-31-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
We stream also and use CenturyLink for internet access. We typically average about 20 gigabytes per day and have not had any issues with this amount of data. If CenturyLink has a data cap we haven't reached it yet. Our all time high was close to 1 terabyte in a month.
May I ask what your CenturyLink internet speed is? We live north of CR466 and have a fiber optic connection so I can up the speed to at least 25M and perhaps as high as 80M.

Thinking of streaming TV and VOIP phone, and would like to stay with CenturyLink because we already bought their router which works well. Glad to hear you find their high speed internet reliable.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There is a usage gauge for Comcast. I would think it will reset at midnight. I'm all over it. I appreciate the help people have given on this thread.

Someone pointed out the other day that switching during this time makes us pioneers and that there is an advantage to the old way because if you don't want to go thru all this monkey business paying a little bit more is worth it. Time will tell if thats accurate for me.

I have Youtube TV and had to add Hulu because of one show. Gold Rush.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:04 PM

yea, the xfinity internet page gives you a usage tool. Great for tracking what devices are using your data.....
Old 11-27-2018, 05:51 PM

We cut the cable last Spring, and are currently using just an antenna in the attic. Works well most of the time, but not 100%. Just subscribed to Hulu (7-day free trial, then $39.99/month). However, we can't get live TV! After trying all afternoon, and 2 chat sessions with Hulu Tech Support, they told us our TV DOES NOT Support Live TV! It's a brand new Samsung Smart TV, that already lists Hulu among the options along the bottom of the screens. It seems all the Hulu TV we can get are replays of certain shows previously broadcast. The last chat-person told us that if our TV does not have a browser option at top of the screen or a lightning bolt at one side of the screen it will not support live TV. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or is anyone reading this currently streaming live tv on a smart tv without a stick?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Gold member

I also thought our Samsungs would support Hulu TV but they only support the original Hulu (two different icons on the TV but both seem to do the same thing). Although some literature says 2016 and newer Samsung TVs I believe it is only select models until you get a 2017 or 2018. Hulu TV worked well with both Amazon Fire Stick and Roku. My trial period ended, still shopping.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:24 PM

Our Samsung TV is a 2018.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacker1 View Post
Our Samsung TV is a 2018.
I would love to pay it forward for once and advise you through my own trial and error to just go to YouTube TV it's $43.10 with tax and all the B.S. all in. You will love it. Between that and Showtime for $7 a month because of Ray Donovan, we have it made. Plenty of cool free channels thru our Roku.

I have a Fire Stick and its almost like the Roku. I bought 5 Roku's and you can play 3 TV'S at one time. Just be careful about your data usage. I learned and now into my second month, we have no problems. Another miracle is my wife loves the new setup.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:12 AM

Will Cord Cutting Cost More Than Cable TV? - YouTube
Closed Thread

Tags
cord, cable, dish, experience, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.