Cutting the Cable Cord

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 07:54 PM
Default Cutting the Cord - Cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2144 View Post
Has anyone successfully cut the cable cord and now use YouTubeTV, Sling TV, etc? What was your experience? Dish TV is about to almost double my monthly charge.

We purchased a Fire TV Stick at the Marion of Market that had a pre-loaded program on it for Movies, TV Shows (not live) and Sports (live). This was while we still had a Dish contract to fulfill.

It was around $100 and then no further charges for what I mentioned above. This way we didn't have to pay fees for Netflix or other streaming devices.

Next we had the same person put his Premium program on the stick. That was $12 for a one month trial. We liked it so much we went for the $100/yr. contract. We get ALL the national and local stations - news from our stations back home, golf, tennis, hbo, starz, diy, hgtv, food network - you name it. However, you can't record with this type of service. It is streaming from our router and our speed is at 25mbps (I think that's the abbreviation). The picture is HD. We have a TV fire stick on each of our 4 TV's but can only watch 2 tv's simultaneously with their premium package. Not sure if you could watch a movie on a 3rd TV if it was using the non-premium streaming feature.

Streaming does not come without faults - and there is a learning curve to using it. However, we're retired - we've got plenty of time.

If you want to check it out for yourself - go to the Market of Marion - Aisle A - I think between C and D - facing towards Ocala. The guys are great. There are other vendors at the MofM, but their boxes are a couple hundred dollars - per TV and a monthly fee several X's more than we are paying.

If recording is a "must" then there's a unit on the market but it has to be used with an antenna or a couple designated streaming sites that are fee-based. I think it's called HD Homerun DVR. Or, stay with your cable or dish company and get the minimum channels that suit your needs for recording and do what we are doing for the rest.

Good luck!!!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM

Cajulian, Can you tell me the brand of your antennae?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,705 Times in 5,239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
1. Find out if you have a contract and when it is up with your current cable/dish provider. There is often a charge for breaking your contract early so you want to know this before you start.
2. All of the services that stream require internet, so if your internet was bundled with TV....find out the new charge and compare to other internet only prices available to you from competitors.
3. You need either a smart TV or a streaming player (Roku, Amazon fire stick, etc.) If you are in the market for a new TV then buy one that is a "smart TV" which really means it is able to connect to the internet (it has a microprocessor and WiFi ability) If you like your current TV, then buy a Roku or Fire Stick to add the streaming) They plug into the TV through either the HDMI port or the USB port (older TV's might not have these so check if yours does). (If your TV is 4K, buy the Roku or Fire Stick that is also 4K) You can have some of each in the same house (I have one smart TV, a Roku in another room and a Fire Stick in another....they are all good.)
Now for the monthly $$$: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YoutubeTV, Direct TVnow, Sling are all streaming services that you pay for individually so you can order what fits. You don't need them all. I would suggest starting with YoutubeTV for about $35 a month. You might already have Amazon Prime if you use it for the free shipping from Amazon.
That's the basic nuts and bolts. I hope it helps.
A wifi bluray player will do the same thing as a streaming stick or a smart tv, and it will allow you to play dvds and cds. The library has lots of free dvds. Also, I think that, even if you have a contract with a cable company, you don't pay a cancellation fee as long as you keep their internet service.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Can some who have cut the cable please comment on the availability of local channel programming availability and access.

Secondly we pre record everything we watch. I understand the recording capability of streaming is in it's infancy if available at all.

Thanx!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Platinum member

Is there a company out there that will set it up for you? Also we have 6 T V's, don't ask me why, but can they all work.
Old 07-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Another "beginner" question. Reading the YoutubeTV site, it indicates that one can record multiple programs and never run out of storage space because the DVR library is stored in the cloud. So does one still need a DVR device for the DVR function or does record/play happen by making a selection on the YoutubeTV software?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 AM
Gold member
Default Clark Howard guide to streaming

Clark Howard guide to streaming. Link below.

Best live TV streaming plans: YouTube TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Sling TV | Clark Howard
Old 07-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy-Guy View Post
Very helpful. Thanx for posting.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

I’ve had both youtube tv and directv now. Just switched from YouTube tv to directv now for the free Apple TV. YouTube tv is much more stable than directv now. On directv now it took about 5 minutes this morning to get a stable picture from Fox News. That never happened with youtube tv. A lot more buffering with directv now.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:59 PM

interested in how the spectrum app works, do they install on your tv? is it on all tvs?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama C View Post
Cajulian, Can you tell me the brand of your antennae?
The commercial antenna is from an engineering company in Kentucky. I found them after testing many Best Buy retail antennas, that didn’t work well.

The antenna is called Marathon Over the Air antenna. You can search it on you tube to watch some videos. Or Google it.

The company sells it under their web site called FreeSignalTV. Com

Call 859-250-9538. John Berry is the rep.

It’s fairly expensive at about $190 for the antenna, attic or outside mount and it’s amplifier. But it’s a one time cost and is far superior to the store bought ones.

I have done both houses We own and helped several friends. The antenna gets you all the Broadcast networks.

I will say that 3 years ago, when I put the antenna up, the streaming packages were not that good. But now Play Station Vue and YouTubeTV have finally added the broadcast networks along with all the cable content you used to get. Those are ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, and FOX.

So now, if you pick the right streaming package to run over your internet, you will have all the Broadcast networks and normal cable programs. You won’t need an antenna.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I do not know if the following has been discussed.

We rented a home in Marblehead MA from a friend. The TV service was Play Station Vue. According to our friend, he has the ability to have 3 sets in 3 different homes access the service for one subscription. He has a home in Florida, Massachusetts, and New Hampshire sharing the service. He has Amazon Fire sticks and also Amazon Prime. Might be valuable to those who have more than one residence or a rental.

Also, my son lives in Sao Paulo , Brazil and gets only one US station (CNN), bought an Amazon Firestick, and now has access to Play Station Vue. He had to change his computer ID to replicate a US address. But he now has access to a host of offerings from Play Station Vue.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,705 Times in 5,239 Posts

I understand that, by switching from a cable TV service to a streaming service will save money. But, after everyone switches, aren't the streaming providers going to just increase the cost to what the cable companies charge?
Old 08-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I understand that, by switching from a cable TV service to a streaming service will save money. But, after everyone switches, aren't the streaming providers going to just increase the cost to what the cable companies charge?
The cable companies in most cases own the internet that the streaming is delivered to you on. I’m not an expert but my guess is I can see them increasing the cost of the internet when cable subscriptions fall off more than they have.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Gold member

We just dropped DISH after over 10 years and all they could say was sorry. Lost signal every time it rains. Now 100% streaming with HULU. Cost went from $175/mo to $94. Internet is with Comcast at 25mbs. All local channels, plus premium and all sports including Big 10 network (comcast just dropped Big 10) 200 hours of cloud DVR storage and unlimited devices.

Not sure how much longer the major satellite and cable providers can stay in business once more and more customers switch to streaming.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Closed Thread

Tags
cord, cable, dish, experience, monthly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.