Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Default Lanai windows

Comments please on acrylic vs glass windows for the lanai
and best lanai window installers.
Thank you.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran member

Acrylic windows retain heat way, way, way more than glass windows. You can cover the glass windows with solar shades and the heat load is greatly reduced. In order to reduce the heat on acrylic windows, the best solution is to prevent the sun from shining on the windows, such as getting an awning to shade the windows. You can put solar shades up for acrylic windows, but they won't do the trick as well as on glass windows.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager View Post
Acrylic windows retain heat way, way, way more than glass windows. You can cover the glass windows with solar shades and the heat load is greatly reduced. In order to reduce the heat on acrylic windows, the best solution is to prevent the sun from shining on the windows, such as getting an awning to shade the windows. You can put solar shades up for acrylic windows, but they won't do the trick as well as on glass windows.
thank you. I'm having second thoughts about lanai windows. I already have sun shades that are very nice. I was just interested in keeping out the rain. However in doing that, I will also be keeping out the air flow - which I want to maintain even more. Guess I can't have one without sacrificing the other.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Platinum member

I'm sure you realize that the acrylic wil get scratches much easier than glass.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Glass Randa Services
Randy did an excellent job on our Lani
Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 AM

call express windows 352 347 3246.. tell them Ron from Valencia place told you ..you wont be sorry ..great price and fantastic work..
Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 PM

Many of my neighbors have installed Glass and acrylic. There are benefits to both but the acrylic do scratch when cleaning. Even with extreme care they scratch, so for me this was a deal breaker. With the rain, dust and sprinkler action they are a real bear to maintain. I am having glass sliders installed by John Hill Aluminum 352 7531701. He has done quite a few in the neighbor hood. Tempered single pain glass, he does install many different styles. Give him a call you will like him. The only thing you may wait a bit, he is busy. The finished product is excellent. He does not rush the job.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:12 PM
Veteran member

ogombar, if you have good quality sun shades, they should keep out the rain, too. have you tried them for that use?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.