Deans or Masseys for lawn fertilizing and pest control?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I've used both Dean's and Massey. Neither did a good job. I put down granular fertilizer myself and the lawn looks great.
I use Scott's weed and feed, 2X /yr., Every 30 days ant treatment...no problems, very little cost.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Location: Moved to the Village of Caroline from St. Louis MO.
Default Termite spraying indoors.

I wonder if this is correct? It seems for it to work the termites have already made it into your home, and through the walls into the interior of the home. Most likely the best way is to have the exterior barrier installed (chemical barrier). This should stop them prior to any damage being done to the interior. Have used Superior on two homes and happy with the service, and prices. Worth checking into. They do the lawns, shrubs, and pest control should you want all three. (I recommend all three)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKoca View Post
I prefer Massey because they spray for termites inside the house, which Deans does not do. I have another company do the grass cutting and bush/tree trimming, and picking weeks, however. Local guy who does a better job.
Who is the local guy?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
I use Scott's weed and feed, 2X /yr., Every 30 days ant treatment...no problems, very little cost.
What type of grass?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Flip a coin
Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
I've used both Dean's and Massey. Neither did a good job. I put down granular fertilizer myself and the lawn looks great.
BINGO, you hit the nail on the head. I personally swear by SCOTT’S. Most of the yards in TV are pretty small & probably don’t take over an hr. to maintain. If you go to Scottsfertilizer.com & tell them what kind of grass you have & where you live, they’ll set up a plan on how to do your yard. My yard looked like a golf green & got a lots of compliments on it. If you can’t spend a half hr. to one hr. on your lawn, of course the lawn services are going look at your yard & see that it’s not maintained so yes they’re going to stop & tell you that they can make your lawn look new again & Yes they see easy money. If you’re not happy with your lawn service, what are out to try & do it yourself, it can’t look any worse! Of course everybody here making comments is going to tell you to use who they have & they’re the best.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Massey and Dean's are 2 of the best, not always perfect but they try. Massey's always attend extension programs concerning turfgrass. Dean's comes into the urban horticulturalist's office with questions and samples. No others do that.

We use Massey and have for 10 years. They are reasonable people. If I have a problem, I call a supervisor. He or she comes out, takes a look and we discuss a resolution.
Which is why we fired Deans. The only way to get anything done was to get a supervisor to come out. Unless you call they don't inspect their work and then you need to adjust your schedule to meet with the supervisor then they will reschedule. Too much monitoring, too many revisits.....have been with Greensmiths for the last two years, no longer have those issues.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMarkland View Post
I wonder if this is correct? It seems for it to work the termites have already made it into your home, and through the walls into the interior of the home. Most likely the best way is to have the exterior barrier installed (chemical barrier). This should stop them prior to any damage being done to the interior. Have used Superior on two homes and happy with the service, and prices. Worth checking into. They do the lawns, shrubs, and pest control should you want all three. (I recommend all three)
You are talking about two different types of termites. The most damaging type are subterranean termites, which is the type that the builder treats the new houses for to prevent infestation. They poison the soil under and around the house foundation, which usually will prevent termites from moving in for about 7 to 10 years, before needing an additional treatment. Spraying in or around the house aboveground will do nothing to kill or prevent subterranean termites. They live in the soil under your house and travel up and down through earth tunnels that they construct. You must poison the soil to kill them.

There is another type of termite that will fly into your house and live in the attic. But, unlike subterranean termites, you are more likely to see these termites before they do substantial damage.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Massey has been fertilizing my flower beds and grass since the house was built 2007. One short palm tree has died this year and several small bushes of flowers are dead. Empty Nest carefully sets the irrigation to conditions every week. I don’t know what to think. Deans seems to give me different prices for the same (termite) service and now I feel confused.

If you have used these companies, please advise me.
Neither, use Falcon Pest Control. Call Mark Lusby at 321-689-8298.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:21 AM

Have been very happy with Falcon.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:46 AM

We used Deans for five years but then fired them when their service quality diminished. Then, we hired Heron and are very pleased with their quality of service.
Old 02-22-2020, 06:22 AM
Default Lawn service

I use Heron. I am satisfied.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:42 AM
Smile lawn & pest control

I have Bates for three years...they always reply us immediately whenever we see roaches or pest around our house. The lawn care looks good.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 AM

They will let you prepay for the year by check that’s what indid
Old 02-22-2020, 09:03 AM

Use Superior 352-840-5995. They do lawn fertilizer etc., bugs, sprinkler system & YOU CAN TRANSFER termite contract. I've used them over 3 yrs & they have the best reputation/reviews.
Closed Thread

Tags
deans, fertilizing, conditions, week, don’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.