Delivery fees to TV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Sage
Default Delivery fees to TV?

Generally speaking, do the businesses near TV charge a fee for delivery to TV homes?

I have told my family and friends, "When I move to The Villages, I'm gonna sell by pickup and buy a golf cart." We will have a Chevy Equinox and a golf cart. Do you think I will regret not having the pickup?

Last edited by champion6; 05-14-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

The only time we were charged for delivery was from Wood You in Ocala. White's, Kents, Southern Lifestyles did not charge. HH Gregg in Ocala did not charge for delivery either. This was 5 years ago so delivery charges may now apply, especially with the price of gas.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

Landscapers may charge for stone or mulch.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Gold member

I'm thinking that having a truck would be a good way to meet new friends. I plan to bring mine. Any truck owners out there have some input?
Old 05-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Maybe we start a business. Pick you up, take you wherever, and delivery you plus load back. Fifty cents a mile plus $25 an hour. You load and unload.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Generally speaking, do the businesses near TV charge a fee for delivery to TV homes?

I have told my family and friends, "When I move to The Villages, I gonna sell by pickup and buy a golf cart." We will have a Chevy Equinox and a golf cart. Do you think I will regret not having the pickup?
If you're used to having a pickup you'll probably miss it. I know I did.
We're snowbirds and when we came south last fall I left my pickup in NY. It was a pain in the butt. If I needed something big it had to be delivered. Even if the delivery fee was included in the price I found it inconvenient to have to schedule delivery and wait. If I needed something messy from Home Depot or Lowes I had to rent a truck from them. Inexpensive but not convenient.
For someone who has never owned a pickup, it's probably routine.
Next year I plan on bringing the truck.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:21 PM

We have a truck, we are always lending it out to our neighbors so they can go pick up things.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Sage
Default Bring the truck

About twice a week, I wish I had a pickup truck.....regardless of where we are living. It's not the delivery charges. It's the inconvenience of having to wait days for a delivery, or mooch off a friend to use theirs, or to call around to a hauler who has an ad in the newspaper and then figure out and a schedule the person to do it.....and then wait for them.

If I buy something for the home or yard, I do so because I want to use it now, not later.

I would leave behind the Equinox and bring the pickup, unless it is crappy looking and embarrasses your wife. Then get a stylin' golf car with cushy bucket seats for going out on dates with her at the Squares.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Gold member

Enterprise in The Villages have pickup trucks that can be rented for a day so does Lowes.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
The only time we were charged for delivery was from Wood You in Ocala. White's, Kents, Southern Lifestyles did not charge. HH Gregg in Ocala did not charge for delivery either. This was 5 years ago so delivery charges may now apply, especially with the price of gas.
After we closed mid January, we bought a couple of things from White's and there was a charge of $35. The other five furnature places we bought from were also charging $35.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 05-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Sage

Remember there is a restriction on the size of pickup truck you can have parked in your driveway. We didn't bring our truck out here when we moved. It was a Ford F250 and that truck was worth its weight in gold. We did buy a SUV and it seems to be able to handle the things we need to pick up.

Haven't had to pay for any deliveries so far, Southern Lifestyles doesn't charge, Whites didn't charge and neither did Sears. Not sure about Home Depot or Lowes, but it seems to me a friend didn't pay for delivery from Home Depot.

These days it's worth the fee if there is one to have two strong individuals bring whatever it is I've purchased, into the house, the yard, the garage.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 AM

We spent our first winter here furnishing our CYV from various furniture stores. None of them had a delivery charge. And delivery was when they said it would be. Didn't have to wait around.

Bob
Old 05-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
We spent our first winter here furnishing our CYV from various furniture stores. None of them had a delivery charge. And delivery was when they said it would be. Didn't have to wait around.

Bob
As I previously stated, we paid $35 for each delivery we had just a few months ago. No fee deliveries seem to be the exception today and not the rule. Times are-a-changn'!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79;35***5
As I previously stated, we paid $35 for each delivery we had just a few months ago. No fee deliveries seem to be the exception today and not the rule. Times are-a-changn'!
SkyGuy,
I'm talking about a few months ago too. This last winter. We dealt with Showcase Direct and Babbettes for bedroom and living room furniture. There was no delivery charge. I'm sure it was factored into the price, but didn't show up as an extra charge. Nothing is free.

Bob
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
SkyGuy,
I'm talking about a few months ago too. This last winter. We dealt with Showcase Direct and Babbettes for bedroom and living room furniture. There was no delivery charge. I'm sure it was factored into the price, but didn't show up as an extra charge. Nothing is free.

Bob
Agreed that they were probably factored in, but we didn't shop at any of the stores you mentioned and bought slightly more from next to new and consignment stores than from new in furnishing just about the entire home. With an entire home full of furnature in NY, we felt it better to avoid new furnature where we could and because of the uncertanty of knowing if we'll wind up moving any of the NY furnature down. Didn't want to invest a lot just in case. Anyway, I'll bet that in general the more expensive a store is, the more likely there's no charge for delivery!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.