Direct TV service?

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2017, 10:25 AM
Default Direct TV service?

Can anyone give feedback on direct tv???
Old 10-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Overall taking everything into account we are sticking with them. Their billing went a little bit askew once they combined their business with AT&T. They are on the straight and narrow now. The programming is great. Don't pay a penny for the football package. Just be tough and outlast them, they negotiate.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:09 PM
Sage

Been satisfied for the 4+ years we've used them. You could probably save a few bucks by cable-cutting. But you get a lot of programming from one source with DirecTV.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Hardly ever lose the signal. HUGE plus -- you get Audience which has NYPD Blue on it. Just finished all thirteen seasons. Started with episode one again last night.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Make sure the control unit is on the main tv. Can't use PIP on the others.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
Make sure the control unit is on the main tv. Can't use PIP on the others.
True, but 4K programming is only available on the clients, not the Genie. So if you want to watch their limited 4K offerings (college FB, pro golf, pro baseball and documentaries), you'll have to do it on a client, unless your streaming. Of course, you do need a 4K capable TV that's compatible with Directv.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Had them since 2001. We had to use Comcast at our Pittsburgh apartment and could really see the difference between the two. I would never give up DirecTV. So easy to use and a great picture. Not to mention NFL Sunday Ticket (for those of you who haven't abandoned NFL) and Extra Innings baseball (those druggies, bwahaha).
Old 10-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
True, but 4K programming is only available on the clients, not the Genie. So if you want to watch their limited 4K offerings (college FB, pro golf, pro baseball and documentaries), you'll have to do it on a client, unless your streaming. Of course, you do need a 4K capable TV that's compatible with Directv.
Yes. 4k on the Genie and all boxes is supposed to coming down the pike at some time.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Gold member

Starting our 4th year with them. Very happy. Just make sure you call before your anniversary date or your bill will go way up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Starting our 4th year with them. Very happy. Just make sure you call before your anniversary date or your bill will go way up.

If you have a two year contract should you call before the expiration of your 1st year, when all the promo pricing ends?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:20 AM
Default Genie 2

Just got the Genie 2 installed. Record up to 7 shows. All tvs can have 4K. No PIP anymore. 4K receivers must be wired. No wireless unless you do not need 4K.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
If you have a two year contract should you call before the expiration of your 1st year, when all the promo pricing ends?

No. I was referring to my own account. I should have been more specific. You should call before your own contract expires.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I'm with Direct and like them, but one year I got really annoyed when I started getting their specials for new customers, much cheaper than what I was paying. I called and very politely told them I was very annoyed at getting their offers in the mail, told them I was their bread and butter long time customer (9) years and that the people who switch every two years are not going to stay with them. I was polite and pleasant and just stated my case. They passed me on to a Supervisor and I got quite a large amount off my bill for a whole year. I don't have the nerve to do it again yet, I'll wait for another year and then when the offers come in again I will try it again - got nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I'm with Direct and like them, but one year I got really annoyed when I started getting their specials for new customers, much cheaper than what I was paying. I called and very politely told them I was very annoyed at getting their offers in the mail, told them I was their bread and butter long time customer (9) years and that the people who switch every two years are not going to stay with them. I was polite and pleasant and just stated my case. They passed me on to a Supervisor and I got quite a large amount off my bill for a whole year. I don't have the nerve to do it again yet, I'll wait for another year and then when the offers come in again I will try it again - got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
We went up to AT&T to sort out a problem with my iPad and ended up with a DirecTV offer to take our monthly tv bill from $89 to $55, plus a free year of NFL Ticket. Apparently AT&T wants you to end your association with DirecTV and remake it with AT&T since they acquired DirecTV. We had to call DirecTV and cancel our service (we had no contract). We were told by the AT&T rep if they ask you why, you don't have to tell them anything. We thought that very strange. But it all worked, and we are now paying $55 instead of $89. We had to sign a two-year contract with DirecTV, but we've been with them since 2000 and have no plans to ever switch irregardless.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:56 AM
fw102807

We went through the entire hurricane and only sporadically lost the signal for very short periods. We also had them up north.
Closed Thread

Tags
direct, feedback, give, riamd1954

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.