Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Disconnecting stove (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/disconnecting-stove-301749/)

LuvtheVillages 01-15-2020 08:16 AM

When we installed vinyl plank, we had the base board removed. We did not like the look of a quarter round in front of the baseboard.

We used this as an opportunity to replace with taller, 6 inch, base board. It looks more proportional to the height of our vaulted ceilings.

l2ridehd 01-15-2020 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 1709908)
You will not find a flooring installer who is a licensed gas fitter, which is what's required here.

Not true in Florida. You can disconnect and re-install your gas stove. Currently the only place that is required in Florida is for a gas fireplace and gas furnace. I am sure it's coming, but not here yet.

OP, you should remove baseboards and they can be reused if removed carefully. Dishwashers have height adjustment legs and should not be an issue. Any decent handyman should be able to disconnect and re-install all 3 appliances with no issue. When removing baseboards, use a utility knife to score along the top edge and the wall to prevent wall damage. When finished just caulk and paint baseboards and they will look like new.

When I replaced the tile in our home, I removed 100% of all the baseboards and numbered them on the back and also on the wall behind where they came off. Put them all back, caulked and painted, and they are perfect. And the new floors run under them so no 1/4 round needed anywhere.

Flanman 01-15-2020 10:06 AM

I had it done in 2 houses - contractor took care of appliances. Both left the baseboards and added quarter round, even in new construction.
You will love the product - very durable and looks great.

Daisy 01-15-2020 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistybuffy3 (Post 1709837)
Going to have vinyl plank flooring installed and all the installers say we have to disconnect stove and water for ice machine ourselves, any suggestions on people that do this? Have they gone over the linoleum in kitchen?
Also, for any that have had this flooring put down, did they remove the baseboard or leave it and put in quarter round?
This project has become an expensive one and want it done right.Thanks

I'm having it done as we speak. To summarize all the replies, if you have base board and you like it, then remove it, lay the floor and replace it 3/16" higher up. Or leave it in, lay the floor and finish with 1/4 round. It's totally what you think will look best. As far as the fridge is concerned, do as suggested, pull it out if there's enough pipe to allow this (usually there is), otherwise turn off the water and disconnect it - a simple job. I didn't see anything about a gas stove but if you have one, usually they are connected with a flexible hose, so just pull it out. I've attached a picture of a combination of baseboard trim and adjacent 1/4 round. And yes, they went over the linoleum in the kitchen. My husband is over 80 but he has been able to move anything (washer, dryer, stove, fridge, toilets) that needed to be moved. We have a husband and wife team doing an outstanding job at a quiet leisurely pace.

Loronthego 01-16-2020 07:15 AM

We have had it put in at two houses. The first house in Florida Robertos Flooring did. They did an amazing job. They went over linoleum and took off the molding did not use quarter round. They also removed the washer and dryer stove and toilets themselves. One stop shopping I did not have to hire anybody for anything. They also did an amazing cleanup.
The house in Ohio we did not have the molding taken off and we use the quarter round. It’s in a bedroom and it looks perfectly fine. Only you will notice the quarter round if you choose to go that way.

Dan Cagle 01-16-2020 11:53 AM

I see the photo; any chance you are a member of sass? I am new to tv and will be wanting to start shooting again soon. :)

col. Dan tracker
sass life 20215

Quickdraw 01-24-2020 02:11 AM

As regards the stove and ice maker. Most stoves merely have a heavy duty 220 volt wire with a male 220 volt, high amp male plug on the end of that wire. Just slide the stove out from the wall and unplug the wire. The ice maker also likely has a wire with a male plug on the end of it, that plugs into a common 110 volt duplex receptacle, so just unplug it as well. As regards the water hookup, if the ice maker is fed water through a copper or plastic tube with a shut-off valve, just turn off the valve, and disconnect the water tube running from the shut-off valve to the ice maker, and move it out of the way. If there is no shut-off valve in your system, call a plumber, and if your two appliances are not equipped with male electrical plugs, call an electrician.