Do Coolaroo shades work well on enclosed lanai?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 05:13 PM
Gold member
Default Do Coolaroo shades work well on enclosed lanai?

Anyone used these in enclosed lanai...……..if so do they offer privacy and UV protection?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2020, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

Yes, they work great! I installed 9 custom Coolaroo roller shades along the 55' side of my birdcage where the sun comes in (and rain blows in if the wind is right ) in the afternoon.

When it's sunny out, the shades work great at keeping the Sun out - pretty much no UV - and glare off of my outside TV, or my laptop when sitting outside. When it's raining out, they work great at keeping the rain from blowing in. We have this portion of our birdcage covered, so when we have a party (not sure when the next one will be at this time!), it still allows us to use the entire covered portion.

With regards to privacy, no one can see in with the shade I selected (Outback Southern Sunset - 22000), but you can see out a little.

In an enclosed lanai, they would block about 90% of UV, and would offer privacy.

I measured and ordered them myself from BlindsGalore, and installed them. Very reasonable, and easy to install.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
Yes, they work great! I installed 9 custom Coolaroo roller shades along the 55' side of my birdcage where the sun comes in (and rain blows in if the wind is right ) in the afternoon.

When it's sunny out, the shades work great at keeping the Sun out - pretty much no UV - and glare off of my outside TV, or my laptop when sitting outside. When it's raining out, they work great at keeping the rain from blowing in. We have this portion of our birdcage covered, so when we have a party (not sure when the next one will be at this time!), it still allows us to use the entire covered portion.

With regards to privacy, no one can see in with the shade I selected (Outback Southern Sunset - 22000), but you can see out a little.

In an enclosed lanai, they would block about 90% of UV, and would offer privacy.

I measured and ordered them myself from BlindsGalore, and installed them. Very reasonable, and easy to install.
I agree 100% love mine
Old 04-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Do you need permission from the architectural permit committee (or whatever it is called) before installing them?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:05 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I agree 100% love mine
Does one need to apply to the Architectural Review Committee before installing them inside a birdcage?
Old 04-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
Does one need to apply to the Architectural Review Committee before installing them inside a birdcage?
I believe the answer is that you do not need ARC approval to install the Coolaroo shades.
BUT, you should call them to ask and make sure. They are very helpful when you call.
352-751-3912
Old 04-06-2020, 05:36 PM
Veteran member

You do not need permission. Anything done inside of your birdcage is outside of the purview of the ARC.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
.....Anything done inside of your birdcage is outside of the purview of the ARC.
This statement is simply not true.
If you are doing something inside your birdcage you should call ARC (352-751-3912) and describe what you are planning to do. They will be helpful and advise if approval is required.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

This statement is true. Those were the exact words I was told by the ARC at an ARC meeting where I thought I had to get approval to install a pool inside of my existing birdcage.

I was told at the meeting, by the board members, that there was no reason for me to even bring this to ARC since I was not altering the size of my bird cage.

If I was installing a pool and new birdcage, then I would have needed ARC approval.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
This statement is true. Those were the exact words I was told by the ARC at an ARC meeting where I thought I had to get approval to install a pool inside of my existing birdcage.

I was told at the meeting, by the board members, that there was no reason for me to even bring this to ARC since I was not altering the size of my bird cage.

If I was installing a pool and new birdcage, then I would have needed ARC approval.
It’s always best to call ARC first and describe what you want to do.
If it’s not too complicated, they will tell you if you need approval or not.
In your case, if you had called first, they may have told you upfront that approval would not be required.
However, it’s not true that you can do whatever you want inside an existing birdcage.
Example: I attended an ARC meeting where they denied approval to a homeowner that wanted to remove all the concrete surface in their existing birdcage and make the entire space a landscaped garden.
Closed Thread

Tags
enclosed, lanai, protection, privacy, offer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.