Does adding window tint in your car on the factory "shaded" windows help?

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2020, 07:56 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

very interesting conversations
Old 10-06-2020, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Interesting but sounds like you might end up with windows that are too dark, and a ticket when stopped by the police.
my thoughts too...

some of the cars with extremely dark window that I see driving around FL would immediately be pulled over in New England and ticketed
Old 10-06-2020, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I’ve been in Florida for 31 years and for many of them I drove home to Boston , there might have been a few times I had to move sun shade over to drivers side window, other then that a good pair of sunglasses is all I’ve ever needed as far as keeping the car cooler how do you know it helps when your running your AC
Old 10-06-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I know window tinting helps keep a car cooler, but if I can’t see in the windows, I assume there are people in that car doing illegal things. If I were a police officer, heavily tinted windows would cause a surge of adrenalin, and as I approached the car, I would be prepared for trouble. If I get pulled over, that’s not the message I want to be sending! Of course, a clear or nearly clear film that blocks UV light would be healthier for upholstery and skin and would not be a problem if you are pulled over. It doesn’t reduce heat in the car very much, but we do have air-conditioners.

I discovered some years ago that when I’m driving, my sunglasses eliminate glare and lots of the light and make driving so much more pleasant. However, sunlight was sometimes blinding me from the side when the sun was low and coming from the side. I figured out that for the most part, it was only causing a problem through the top couple inches of my side window. (I’m tall. If you can barely see over the steering wheel, it would be more of the window.) I installed a two inch strip of the darkest tint at the top of my side window. It may look slightly odd, but it solves the problem almost completely while letting police officers see into my car. There are no laws against even the darkest tint if it’s only a narrow strip.
You do know the Police have tinted windows so as long as your within the legal parameters, no harm and no foul.
Old 10-06-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
If I was a police officer and I stopped a car and could not see inside that would not make me a happy camper.

I do not know about Florida but in other places we lived it was against the law.
I turn on the interior lights when it's dark and drop all my windows for leos. Walking up to a car without seeing in is absolutely dangerous for them. Anything I can do to reduce the tension, I will do without hesitation.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:22 AM

Adding tint to factory tinted windows can easily get you a ticket!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Default Window tint & vent shades

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think the police have a way to measure the tint level on windows. The law in Florida is that the front side windows must allow 28 percent of the light in, and the back side and rear window must allow 15 percent of the light in.
I had Underglass tint our two car’s front side windows and The rear window (not doors) Enough to lessen sun exposure.
Vent shades are are great aid to lessen sun exposure during those early morning and late afternoon rides. I got mine from Weathertech.
Many years ago I attended a Pinellas County Sheriff’s Community Police information and hands on familiarization sessions. One big takeaway was to roll down your windows when stopped. Allows the officer some peace of mind that they can see inside your vehicle.
If a window check is warranted, roll them up.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I've been meaning to add tinting to my side windows to prevent skin cancer. Here is a quote and link that we should be mindful of: "Window glass can effectively block UVB rays, while the windshield is typically treated to block UVA rays. But the car’s rear and side windows will allow UVA rays to come through and do damage to your skin. That is where an effective and high-performance window tint comes in handy. The latest research has revealed that window tinting and the prevention of skin cancer are closely correlated." Skin Cancer Facts: Does Window Tint Prevent Skin Damage From The Sun?
Old 10-06-2020, 11:04 AM

Turn this site into peddling stuff almost as bad as the constant whining
Old 10-06-2020, 11:29 AM

Not true, have the product on my Audi major improvement only a slight tint well within spec. See the folks at any tint shop and learn the facts don’t assume
Old 10-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Not true
Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM

I bought a Mini where the dealer had tinted the windows right to the edge of what is legal. In sunlight it was great but driving at night was a different story - very difficult to see out of the side windows when checking crosswalks, etc. I ended up driving with the windows down in the evening.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:32 PM
Default Perhaps but what about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Interesting but sounds like you might end up with windows that are too dark, and a ticket when stopped by the police.
the windows on the police cars in Florida. Most all are tinted in what appears to be "limo tint". It is impossible to see inside their cars. How could one of them write a ticket to a motorist with windows like that.

Just sayin.....
Closed Thread

Tags
shaded, windows, window, car, factory

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.