Electrician needed to trouble shot several outlets not having power, all GFI. I can't

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Curious. How could there be a lot of GFI outlets not working? I have one go and I know it. Normally in the garage for an outside circuit. Fix is to reset and move on. One time had to replace GFI outlet that was defective. most of my problems have been floodlights accumulating water. Lights go out and I check floodlight.
They wire them in series generally with one master usually at the kitchen sink.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randykw View Post
We just had Lenhart Electric fix a GFI outlet. They were great.

It only take a push of a button to fix a GFI outlet, must of been a costly push....
Old 07-23-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
They wire them in series generally with one master usually at the kitchen sink.
Wrong! No Outlet is wired in series....
Old 07-23-2020, 09:09 AM

CYV 12 yrs old
I had a similar problem with an outside outlet. Kept tripping gfi outlet in garage. Simple fix reset gfi in garage. It seemed to kick off during downpour or power washing. I had enclosed out lanai and didn’t like the looks of the weather proof cover so I decided to replace the cover with one that looks more pleasing. I looked inside and the connections were corroded and rusty. It didn’t look safe so it was replaced. I then checked other outside outlets and found the same problem. I think the builder put in the same type outlet as the indoor ones thinking the gfi And the outdoor cover would save the day. It hasn’t tripped since they were replaced but I have installed a plug in alarm/emergency light on the lanai to alert us when it trips. We have an auxiliary fridge with freezer in the garage with $$-$$$$ of meat on the same circuit. Now we sleep better at night. I almost sent the alarm back as the volume needs to be louder. Wife has no problem hearing it. I guess I’ll keep both.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:28 AM

When our outlets don't work it's usually the GFI outlet in the garage that has to be reset.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:54 AM

Check each one of the outlets. One of them has a button you can push to reset them
Old 07-23-2020, 10:40 AM

If the GFI outlet is not working, push the reset button. If the GFI does not reset, there may be a ground fault in the circuit or the GFI outlet is defective. Unplug any appliance that is plugged into the circuit that may be causing the ground fault and push the reset button again. If it does not reset, and the GFI outlet has been in use for more then 6 or 7 years, it has exceeded it's life expectancy and is probably defective. GFI outlets mounted outside are more prone to early failure. There are GFI's that are designed to be used outside. Be certain to replace the defective GFI with a GFI of the same amp. rating. Usually 15 or 20 amps depending on it's location. Each wire must be connected to the proper terminal screw. Move one wire at a time to the same terminal on the new GFI. Be certain to turn off the circuit breaker before you touch the wires and read the directions before you move the wires. If you have never replaced a GFI, taking a photo of the wiring on the defective GFI may be a good idea. If you can read, rewiring a GFI is not rocket science.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:41 AM

All of the replies seem sensible, but I have another observation. A few years ago, I attended a lecture given by a consultant engineer. He warned us, that since these things are electro MECHANICAL devices, they need testing regularly, otherwise they freeze up and then don’t work as fast, when they’re needed. I test Mine about once a year.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvorT View Post
All of the replies seem sensible, but I have another observation. A few years ago, I attended a lecture given by a consultant engineer. He warned us, that since these things are electro MECHANICAL devices, they need testing regularly, otherwise they freeze up and then don’t work as fast, when they’re needed. I test Mine about once a year.
Yep, that's why the test button is their....
Old 07-23-2020, 10:48 AM
Default Odd Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Curious. How could there be a lot of GFI outlets not working? I have one go and I know it. Normally in the garage for an outside circuit. Fix is to reset and move on. One time had to replace GFI outlet that was defective. most of my problems have been floodlights accumulating water. Lights go out and I check floodlight.
I would call Dennis Webb who does all sorts of odd jobs at very reasonable prices 404 -358-0984.

You might also try getting a simple tester to plug in the wall and it will indicate what's wrong by the color of the light. Available at any box store.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastDawg View Post
I was stumped when a GFI in the garage tripped and there seemed no way to reset it. Turns out it was linked with a GFI on the other side of the garage, and that one had the red reset button.
That’s EXACTLY what the issue was in our garage. Never seen that before as it is not code in Canada.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

John Kubiak 586-883-5153 from Ocala is very good. Today 7/26/20 he lowered a chandelier, fixed some outlets that were not properly working and did some light plumbing work. Everything works properly now. He is reasonable and can do a lot of handyman jobs.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

we've used Haye's lighting and Electric Services a couple of times and have been happy with them
Old 10-25-2020, 04:49 PM

Almost every time it rains or there is lightning in the area, my outside outlets go out. This is disturbing because my lanai is now a closed in room and that outlet goes out because it used to be an outside outlet. They are all fed from a GFCI outlet in the garage. This outlet in the garage gets fatigued from all the resetting and eventually needs to be replaced. They are not cheap either. I can do this replacement myself, but if you are not so inclined it can get really expensive if you have to hire an electrician to to it for you. I have had to do it 3 times now. My house was constructed in 2003.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by worahm View Post
If the GFI outlet is not working, push the reset button. If the GFI does not reset, there may be a ground fault in the circuit or the GFI outlet is defective. Unplug any appliance that is plugged into the circuit that may be causing the ground fault and push the reset button again. If it does not reset, and the GFI outlet has been in use for more then 6 or 7 years, it has exceeded it's life expectancy and is probably defective. GFI outlets mounted outside are more prone to early failure. There are GFI's that are designed to be used outside. Be certain to replace the defective GFI with a GFI of the same amp. rating. Usually 15 or 20 amps depending on it's location. Each wire must be connected to the proper terminal screw. Move one wire at a time to the same terminal on the new GFI. Be certain to turn off the circuit breaker before you touch the wires and read the directions before you move the wires. If you have never replaced a GFI, taking a photo of the wiring on the defective GFI may be a good idea. If you can read, rewiring a GFI is not rocket science.
I never touch neutral or hot wire at same time unless the main circuit breaker tripped. Especially when for more that single wire harness going into outlet.
Closed Thread

Tags
electrician, outlets, gfi, trouble, shoot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.