Erosion under driveway

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2021, 06:46 PM
Veteran member
Default Erosion under driveway

I bought a fixer upper recently in everybody's favorite part of the Villages ("the historic section") and the general inspection revealed that the right side of the driveway slopes down slightly, causing rainwater to get under the driveway. He said the underlying soil is eroding and the driveway could collapse as a result.

I also had a separate crawlspace inspection for a different reason, and that inspector said the same thing - that he could see some erosion under the driveway. I've since noticed that most Villagers' driveways slope a bit on one side or the other but I have never heard of a driveway collapsing from erosion, in the Villages or anywhere else. Is this a new scam?

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 01-15-2021 at 08:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

If there is a void under the driveway, it could definitely collapse. You would need to fill the void with dirt or gravel and do something to prevent further erosion. If the void is small, concrete slurry or foam can be pumped under it, but that is expensive if you need a large quantity.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

My first thought would be the irrigation. It's run under driveway's here more often than not, and if there is a leak........................
Closed Thread

Tags
driveway, side, inspection, villages, erosion

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.